Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Can EPUBReader run standalone?

There are few Ebup readers on desktop. FBReader does the job not so well. ADE has its problem. So, I am expecting another epub reader on desktop.

Added:
I know EPUBReader is a addon for Firefox currently. I am asking the possibility for the future.

Last edited by ericshliao; 11-18-2009 at 01:44 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
There are few Ebup readers on desktop. FBReader does the job not so well. ADE has its problem. So, I am expecting another epub reader on desktop.

Added:
I know EPUBReader is a addon for Firefox currently. I am asking the possibility for the future.
I haven't tried yet but maybe its simple to package it up together with XulRunner. That will give you a epubreader without all the bells and wisthles of a webbrowser.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #3
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Hi Eric,

good question, I didn't think about it until now .

With the current version it wouldn't be possible because it's tied to Firefox. But I'm working on the new version which is now XUL based. XUL is the Mozilla language for GUIs.

In general it's possible to run XUL standalone but I have to check if everything would work without problems in the case of EPUBReader. Instead of Firefox you would have to install XULRunner, which is basically Firefox without the Firefox frontend.

So, in general this would be possible, but nevertheless you have to install software (XULRunner). Where would you see the advantage of this solution instead of using Firefox?

Michael
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
So, in general this would be possible, but nevertheless you have to install software (XULRunner). Where would you see the advantage of this solution instead of using Firefox?
Michael
IMHO, it will be VERY useful for most mobile devices and ebook device, and for some lightweight desktops or laptops, since it's nearly impossible or burdensome to install a Firefox on those devices.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
IMHO, it will be VERY useful for most mobile devices and ebook device, and for some lightweight desktops or laptops, since it's nearly impossible or burdensome to install a Firefox on those devices.
Okay I see.

I don't know what the problem causes installing Firefox on such devices. What I can say is, that if you install XULRunner, you install 90% (probably more) of Firefox. The reason is, that XULRunner and Firefox both include the Mozilla Gecko engine which does all the work. Firefox is just a frontend to Gecko written in XUL. So in my opinion it doesn't make a big difference if you install Firefox or XULRunner.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Okay I see.

I don't know what the problem causes installing Firefox on such devices. What I can say is, that if you install XULRunner, you install 90% (probably more) of Firefox. The reason is, that XULRunner and Firefox both include the Mozilla Gecko engine which does all the work. Firefox is just a frontend to Gecko written in XUL. So in my opinion it doesn't make a big difference if you install Firefox or XULRunner.
I presume those mobile devices lack the processing power and ram space to run a fullscale Firefox, so I think a lightweight and standalone epub reader will be usefule for those devices.
Since XULRunner is 90% Firefox as your described, I guess it's not a good choice.
Anyway, thanx for your reply.

Sincerely,
Old 11-19-2009, 04:17 AM   #7
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
I presume those mobile devices lack the processing power and ram space to run a fullscale Firefox, so I think a lightweight and standalone epub reader will be usefule for those devices.
Since XULRunner is 90% Firefox as your described, I guess it's not a good choice.
Anyway, thanx for your reply.

Sincerely,
There is atleast one project that I know of that is using XulRunner as the basis of a webbrowser for mobile devices, this is the webblog of one of the developers:
http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote