Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
ebenjamin30
ebenjamin30 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Reflowable Images/Flourishes?

Hi all! Okay, newbie question. I'm creating my first eBook using Adobe Indesign. It's a fiction novel that has section breaks. I wanted to place flourishes in the section breaks and did so using an anchored object.

However when I converted the file to EPUB, I noticed the flourishes did not resize with the text. I was viewing it in Adobe Digital Editions and I changed the text size to see how the text would reflow. Eventually it got to the point where the paragraph text looked small and the flourishes looked HUGE in comparison. Very awkward.

Does anyone know how can I (or even IF I can) make those section flourishes reflowable?

Thank you!!!
ebenjamin30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Specify their size in ems.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
ebenjamin30

Okay this is going to sound dumb but...how do I do that? Originally I inserted the flourish as an anchored object and went to "anchored objects options," but alas I did not see a place to specify ems. When that didn't work - I released the image so it wasn't anchored...but I still couldn't find a place to specify ems. I'm sure it's right in front of me...I'm just not seeing it.

Any advice?

Last edited by ebenjamin30; 10-26-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebenjamin30 View Post
Okay this is going to sound dumb but...how do I do that? Originally I inserted the flourish as an anchored object and went to "anchored objects options," but alas I did not see a place to specify ems. When that didn't work - I released the image so it wasn't anchored...but I still couldn't find a place to specify ems. I'm sure it's right in front of me...I'm just not seeing it.

Any advice?
I'm sure Liz Castro could tell you faster and better than I, as I don't ever use INDD for eBook production, but the fastest way, IMHO, is to open your ePUB in Sigil and, in codeview, set the image sizes. I'm sure that there's an el-quicko way to do it in INDD, but I don't know it off the top of my head. I find that program to be pure torture. ;-)

Hope that helps.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
PageLab
Connoisseur
PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, iPad, Nook, Kobo, Positivo Alfa
To date, there's no way to specify ems to images directly in Indesign. The only way to achieve this reflowable effect in the program is by using a custom font with your flourish, created with a service like IcoMoon, and embedding this custom font in the ePUB. You'll have to remove the font encryption to make it work more universally. You can do this in Sigil, without touching the code.
PageLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
ebenjamin30

Thank you both so much!! I will definitely look into Sigil and IcoMoon