Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
MrZ
MrZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Australian E-Books Sci Fi recommendation?

Hi All,

Ive justed purchased my first E-Book Sony Reader. Love it!

My only issue is one of living in Australia. Ive downloaded some public domain books, which is nice and all...

Both Angus and Robertson and Borders have clunky E-Stores. Im into Science Fiction and Fantasy, and being only able to browse by hitting the 'next' button on Borders, with its 4000+ titles seems painful.

Could somebody recommend me a few Sci-Fi + Fantasy books that are worth buying that are not geo-locked out of Australia? Post-Apocolyptic sub-genre would be most welcomed !

Its disappointing to see so many titles Id love to read, geo-locked. Its like the online music industry of 10 years ago. Time to ditch the DRM, and just let the E-book bird fly Publishers. There are a tonne of us that just want to buy books, and we will...if you let us.

Thanks
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

There are many of your fellow-countryfolk here - someone will have suggestions for you
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Welcome to MobileRead Forums.

Have you tried http://www.readwithoutpaper.com/ ? I've been able to buy some books from there which were restricted from other sites. Borders also has ebooks which are restricted on other sites - though I agree it's a hard site to search through.

And there are lots of ebook stores which cater for less well known authors, and which usually don't restrict or use DRM. Try googling for BeWrite, Double Dragon, and Direct ebooks for example.

Regards, Alex

PS. The classic Sci Fi non restricted non DRM site is Baen's at http://www.webscription.net/

Last edited by AlexBell; 10-10-2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Added information
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
MrZ
MrZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thankyou, you have opened up my e-reading choices
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Try www.Smashwords.com
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
slognoth
slognoth began at the beginning.

Device: Gemstar
Hi MrZ,

May I recommend a series called Sime~Gen. There will be 12 in all when they are all published. 8 are re-releases and 4 are new, never been seen stories, some still to be published. They are DRM but you can get them in kindle or epub format as well as paperback, and you can get them to oz, I have two already on my kindle for pc as my Gemstar is too old I think. Here is a link to the new re-releases, http://astore.amazon.com/simegen-20 and here is a link fo ryou to see what SIme Gen is all about. http://www.simegen.com/sgfandom/

There are several Aussie fans that have been part of the fandom for around 30 years, several Queenslanders have caught up again we have a fave book fan page where the authors and fans get together. Go check out teh intro to SIme Gen because if I start to explain I may not stop. Good luck.
slognoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
If the Sime~Gen series mentioned above interests you, you can buy them DRM-free with no georestrictions as MultiFormat (11 included formats that between them will work with just about any reader device) from Fictionwise, who often have discount coupons that can be found in the Deals forum here.

Link to the authors' catalogue pages: Jacqueline Lichtenberg & Jean Lorrah.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:13 AM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Well worth it!

http://www.spacejock.com.au/
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
slognoth

Welcome to Mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Steve Vernon
Connoisseur
Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try hunting around for some Tim Curran. He's been writing for Severed Press, an Aussie publisher that does e-books as well as hard copy. Tim's got a nice old-school raw and pulpy style and has written several apocalyptic style works.
Steve Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Phew, for a moment there I thought I'd have to go all self-promoty ;-)

Don't forget, anyone in Perth over Easter should have Swancon pencilled in. You'll meet more WA/Aussie spec fic writers than you can imagine, all in one place.
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
fettpett
Enthusiast
fettpett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Mathew Riley. Freaking AWESOME author. probably considered more hidden history and action adventure than true sci-fi, but he's fast passed and doesn't shirk from killing characters off if they get in the way of the story (to the chagrin of many fans)
fettpett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
Phew, for a moment there I thought I'd have to go all self-promoty ;-)
Don't feel bad... I usually have to go all self-promoty!

Stop by my site, and you'll find hard and soft SF that's not geo-restricted.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Hi All,

Ive justed purchased my first E-Book Sony Reader. Love it!

My only issue is one of living in Australia. Ive downloaded some public domain books, which is nice and all...

Both Angus and Robertson and Borders have clunky E-Stores. Im into Science Fiction and Fantasy, and being only able to browse by hitting the 'next' button on Borders, with its 4000+ titles seems painful.

Could somebody recommend me a few Sci-Fi + Fantasy books that are worth buying that are not geo-locked out of Australia? Post-Apocolyptic sub-genre would be most welcomed !

Its disappointing to see so many titles Id love to read, geo-locked. Its like the online music industry of 10 years ago. Time to ditch the DRM, and just let the E-book bird fly Publishers. There are a tonne of us that just want to buy books, and we will...if you let us.

Thanks
See Webscriptions :-

Seed - Rob Ziegler
Wastelands - John Joseph Adams

Look at Smashwords, too

There are links in this post to some places to check out at the end :-

Really, Amazon has more books, sales etc. - so look for DRM free books there, download and convert to epub - or crack and convert.

The Australian stores that you mention are mostly useless and often more expensive, at least when I bother to look.

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ha...by-blue-tyson/

Or as others may suggest, change your country to the USA as their books are much cheaper given the Europeans recently set out to rip us off a lot.

The final option of course is the one used by millions of our countrypeople for tv, movies, music etc. that is not available.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Also, :-

http://freesf.blogspot.com or http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordp...ory/z-free-sf/

and

http://www.freesfonline.de/
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote