Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
buddy
buddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
RAR CONVERSON TO EPUB

hi
i am new to this, and have a Sony PRS650, which i am very happy with.

the problem i have is that i have downloaded some ebooks which are in RAR format.

Calibre will not accept these files. Am i doing something wrong, or do i need another program to convert these files into something Calibre will accept?

any suggestions or advice as to where i go from here will be greatly accepted/

regards

janine
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
hi
i am new to this, and have a Sony PRS650, which i am very happy with.

the problem i have is that i have downloaded some ebooks which are in RAR format.

Calibre will not accept these files. Am i doing something wrong, or do i need another program to convert these files into something Calibre will accept?

any suggestions or advice as to where i go from here will be greatly accepted/

regards

janine
You have to un-RAR the files before you add them to Calibre. RAR is just a compression container, like a Zip file but with a different algorithm. You need to use a program like WinZip or WinRar to extract the contents first, and then add those to Calibre.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
What's inside of the RAR files? As kiwidude said, it's just an archive format that holds other things. The files within the RAR file may or may not be supported by calibre.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Note that if the RAR or ZIP file contains a single file, then you do not need to extract it first outside Calibre - Calibre will recognise which file you are trying to add and extract it for you.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Readerman1
Readerman1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi, I just had this problem. While Calibre does recognise the RAR as a file and even lets me attempt to convert to EPUB, it always fails. after a bit of digging i found out that there is a bug that means that Calibre somehow doesn't recognise single file compressions. i found that unziping the file again worked for me. i used the website WOBZIP.org for ease. hope this helps anyone who finds this thread on google recently like myself.
Readerman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert