Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Firware 1.7 Original Kobo

Can anyone please confirm for me that 1.7 firware upgrade is available for the ORIGINAL Kobo and that newspapers are now available?
I just got off the phone with customer support at Kobo and I was told very specifically (and somewhat condescedingly) that 1.7 has been available for the ORIGINAL Kobo since October 28th and it supports newspapers on the original kobo. As I don't have an intel mac at work I can't currently upgrade my kobo desktop app to find out.

Thanks
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Not that I am aware of.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Can anyone please confirm for me that 1.7 firware upgrade is available for the ORIGINAL Kobo and that newspapers are now available?
I just got off the phone with customer support at Kobo and I was told very specifically (and somewhat condescedingly) that 1.7 has been available for the ORIGINAL Kobo since October 28th and it supports newspapers on the original kobo. As I don't have an intel mac at work I can't currently upgrade my kobo desktop app to find out.

Thanks
Nope, no newspapers for us yet. We should be getting them "soon"...
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I just got off the phone with customer support at Kobo and I was told very specifically (and somewhat condescedingly) that 1.7 has been available for the ORIGINAL Kobo since October 28th and it supports newspapers on the original kobo.
Imagine support guy or girl got a job 1 month ago. Wifi version
could be original kobo for them. It all sounds like app for wifi
reader. People simply make mistakes and this looks like one.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
That's not an excuse for being rude. And even if you've only been there a month, you should know what products the company sells. There are only 2.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Let me re-phrase. She wasn't exactly rude she was making it sound like I didn't know what I was talking about. She was definitely not new though and she new the original kobo from the wi-fi. She was adamant that newspapers are available on the original and that it is running 1.7 firmware which can be upgraded via the new kobo desktop app. I've asked her to send me a link to some sort of Kobo announcement about that.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The confusion is the 1.7 desktop software (actually, it is now 1.7.3) and the firmware update for the Kobno reader itself--which is currently in closed beta testing. The WiFi firmware was also labeled 1.7 when released.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The confusion is the 1.7 desktop software (actually, it is now 1.7.3) and the firmware update for the Kobno reader itself--which is currently in closed beta testing. The WiFi firmware was also labeled 1.7 when released.
She was very clear about the firware for the original kobo being upgraded to 1.7. She told me that if I updated the desktop app I would then get a prompt to upgrde my kobo original firmware to 1.7.

Last edited by Duiker; 11-10-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am at work and can't check version numbers, but I do know that the long anticipated firmware update has not been issued--were there firmware changes accompanying the desktop changes--yup--but it is not the biggie, no matter what number is actually appearing on the reader.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Duiker
Addict

She just admitted to her mistake.
She says there is a firm date of Nov.22nd for an original kobo firmware update.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Firm? It may be a goal--and what is expected--but until they have all the info they need from the beta testers and have addressed whatever concerns there may be at that point, firm, ummmm? It sure would be terrific.

Sales, tech/IT, and support don't always communicate the laterst news to each other in a timely way--and even when the big bosses know about changes, it can take awhile for new information to work its way through the various organizational levels. From my own work experience, by the time the last group to be in on the news has gotten the information, things very well may have changed (again).
Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Firm? It may be a goal--and what is expected--but until they have all the info they need from the beta testers and have addressed whatever concerns there may be at that point, firm, ummmm? It sure would be terrific.

Sales, tech/IT, and support don't always communicate the laterst news to each other in a timely way--and even when the big bosses know about changes, it can take awhile for new information to work its way through the various organizational levels. From my own work experience, by the time the last group to be in on the news has gotten the information, things very well may have changed (again).
I am but a messenger from the misinformed kobo help desk.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Wet Coast
Wet Coast began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original & Wifi
Quote:
That's somewhat different than "Summer 2010" or did they mean "Summer 2010 if you live in Australia & New Zealand"
Wet Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
sunami88
Enthusiast
sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.

Don't worry guys, it's coming "Soon"! ...*Sigh*...

My mother (just having bought a wifi Kobo - at my insistence), has told me a few stories of the crappy customer service line... They must have gotten more calls than they had been expecting and thus "expanded the hiring range", if you know what I mean.

Granted, the first one she got was eventually deemed defective. But she's still getting me to drive down there this weekend to set it up so she won't have to speak to any representatives this time... They just caused her that many head aches.

I won't lie, I'm starting to feel a bit burned by these "it's coming soon!" promises. Fortunately I didn't buy my non-wifi Kobo for newspaper support, but I still don't see why it's so hard to just say they're working on the update and we shouldn't hold our breath... "Soon" has been the target for a while now... If I remember correctly it was the target even before the wifi-Kobo was announced.
sunami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #15
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Sorry for late reply.
There is a chance she got a beta 1.7.x. There might be a hidden
server for testing purpose. She cound not be saying wrong at
that simple matter.
For the date in quote, I would just say "Holly Cow!!!". After all this
hassle, it is better to wait a bit more than to have problems wifi
users have with battery, screen etc. Better January than "how do
I roll back to 1.4?".
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote