Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #361
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Libra, Forma (8 and 32 gb), Sage, Kindle Oasis
Is anyone else having trouble? I bought 5 books with the coupon on Sunday, my account froze up and I got back into it today.

BUT - when I try to use the coupon code on another book it just says, we're sorry but that coupon code has been used already. Tried it on two different books just to make sure and got the same response each time. And I have about 50 books in my wish list!!!
Janet56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #362
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet56 View Post
Is anyone else having trouble? I bought 5 books with the coupon on Sunday, my account froze up and I got back into it today.

BUT - when I try to use the coupon code on another book it just says, we're sorry but that coupon code has been used already. Tried it on two different books just to make sure and got the same response each time. And I have about 50 books in my wish list!!!
They changed the coupon so it's now only good for a single use.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #363
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd take out the small retailers part and say always do so period. Plenty of folks have lost books when bigger sellers either went under or stopped selling ebooks (including B&N and Amazon well before Nook and Kindle existed).
Very True though I trust Amazon. If a book goes missing they will make it right. Their Customer Service is top notch.

I've seen plenty of small places go under. Anyone remember CyberReads? Not to mention LIT files that you can't redownload now they are discontinued. I tried on Books on Board months ago and it wouldn't work. Same with Fictionwise. So I now backup everything.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #364
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Yeah The fun is over but the 50% off Fictionwise coupon still works for a couple more days. $2.25 for HQ books that were a nickle isn't bad.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #365
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Lol it's funny but last night I purchased 10 or so more and said to myself "Thats it I'm not going back for anymore it's unlikely I'll even read all that I already have" and this morning the code dies lol at least I don't have to rely on my own wilpower now

I ended up with 147 books at a total of $20.55 this would have been less but with all the clicking I let 3 get through without properly applying the code.

While their site certainly has its quirks when you think about the extra volume it has coped with from all our purchases and searching it held up remarkably well.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #366
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
The numbers are in: 148 books for $51.01. I found about 20 more I put in my wish list that would've only been 5 cents.

So let me know if the coupon comes back to life again
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #367
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
I was finally going to get started using it this Friday, now that I've got all that post-holiday new semester completely rearranging my schedule and ensuing sleep deprivation stuff mostly worked out and could finally concentrate on those important life goals, like getting dirt-cheap discount books.

Well, my fault for putting things off and waiting. Priorities, darn it!

If the coupon really is still working even for just one use, I think I'll just use it to get the Jeannie Lin book which looked most interesting out of the lot. If it's not, I'll send a politely disappointed letter to the Harlequin people asking why this coupon they sent me in my email which they said was good until the end of the month was not working.

Everything else would have basically been a morbid curiosity purchase anyway, even those old-school pulp mystery Harlequin Vintages I'd been originally looking at, so I'm actually not particularly put out.

Mind you, I kind of hope their programmers "forget" and do this again in the future.

Just so I can indulge a bit more morbid curiosity for a pleasantly low cost. I notice they have some fantasy by established primarily sf/fantasy authors under their Luna imprint…

And also so the rest of you can see how much more you can stuff onto your e-readers for less than it originally cost to buy said e-readers.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #368
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
And also so the rest of you can see how much more you can stuff onto your e-readers for less than it originally cost to buy said e-readers.
That's kind of a hobby these days, especially with freebies. And you're partly to blame, er, I mean THANK for that.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #369
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
That's kind of a hobby these days, especially with freebies. And you're partly to blame, er, I mean THANK for that.
One thing freebies from Amazon has taught me. Grab now or you could be too late.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #370
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
One thing freebies from Amazon has taught me. Grab now or you could be too late.
So true. There were a few I wasn't sure about and waited too long, and wanted to kick myself for it. Now, if it's the least bit interesting I get it.

ATDrake's daily KDP roundup is like a soap opera for me. Every day I tune in. If it's not posted yet, I check back every 15 minutes. Even when there's nothing I want (which is very rare) I enjoy the commentary.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #371
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I do that with the vaguely interesting looking free stuff, whether I really want it or not (but I do it from the auxiliary account, so as not to clutter my main).

It's things I actually have to shell out real money* for (and which involve currency exchanges and small transactions that could mess up my credit card and end up costing more than I think they do) that I balk at, especially when it's stuff that I'm not sure I really want.

* Yes, even in very < $1 amounts. I didn't end up spending my e-reader's original cost thrice over in e-books by picking the stuff which cost over $10, I'll have you know.

I made sure I got value for money for (almost) every single penny of that. Less currency exchange transaction fees.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #372
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Every day I tune in. If it's not posted yet, I check back every 15 minutes.
For your future convenience, I live in Pacific Time, have classes that run roughly from 10-4 most days, and then there's public transit allowance.

So if I don't get to it before 8am, it probably won't show up until after 5pm, always provided there was anything worthwhile in the slushpile.

Thus, you can spare yourself and the MR servers the Deals forum page refreshing between those hours, if you like.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #373
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
For your future convenience, I live in Pacific Time, have classes that run roughly from 10-4 most days, and then there's public transit allowance.

So if I don't get to it before 8am, it probably won't show up until after 5pm, always provided there was anything worthwhile in the slushpile.

Thus, you can spare yourself and the MR servers the Deals forum page refreshing between those hours, if you like.
Thank you! That's very helpful!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #374
ATDrake
Wizzard

Also, because I feel like enabling people who may be feeling coupon-deprived, over at Kobo, Sourcebooks is offering a number of books for $2.99 or less.

I count 7 romances of varying types for just 99 cents on the first page of the sorted low-to-high selection alone, a few pages more at $1.99, and you can use the Kobo 30% off coupon in its 5 variants which expire tonight to take them down even further, if you're feeling so inclined.

ETA: A few of them have been previously offered as freebies, IIRC. But it should be easy enough to track any duplicates by running a search on the author/title in this forum and seeing if they turn up.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-17-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Warning against re-purchasing, since it'll probably cost more than 5 cents.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #375
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
So true. There were a few I wasn't sure about and waited too long, and wanted to kick myself for it. Now, if it's the least bit interesting I get it.

ATDrake's daily KDP roundup is like a soap opera for me. Every day I tune in. If it's not posted yet, I check back every 15 minutes. Even when there's nothing I want (which is very rare) I enjoy the commentary.
Yeah agreed it's very entertaining.

My problem is I go to eReaderIQ for free books that updates hourly. I can filter by last 24 hours and oh boy next thing you know I have a ton of free books. With Amazon doing the prime library there always some good freebies being added before they go pay.