Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-10-2023, 06:32 PM   #1
n88yanks
n88yanks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Dot inserted on TOC Headings in EPUB doc with Calibre

I am converting an Open Office Doc into EPUB with Calibre and everything works great, except in front of every Chapter Heading in the body of the doc, Calibre adds a single dot. I am using the tag "Heading 1" in Open Office. In the image below you can see the dot to the left of the Chapter title. Is there a way to get rid of this? Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	203112  
n88yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:02 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you are converting ODT format files, try saving as a DOCX and convert that.

The DOCX input plugin is actively maintained by the calibre creator, the ODT equivalents hasn't been updated for years.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2023, 04:50 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I always Save As an extra docx and only ever edit the odt.
Also create your own named style with the same properties as Heading1, 2, 3 etc as mysteriously they can otherwise export in bulleted list style in the Save As docx.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 01:07 PM   #4
n88yanks

I am more than willing to create or modify an existing css file - I'm just not sure which one to modify and where to find it. Can you point me in the right direction? Thank you.
Old 08-11-2023, 01:58 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Try opening the epub in either calibre's editor or Sigil and take a look at the headers there. You can also copy/paste the header and any relevant CSS code in a message here to get more eyes on your issue if necessary.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2023, 02:06 PM   #6
n88yanks

This is the relevant code (I think). I know a smattering of HTML but I'm not sure how to proceed here. I am assuming that the dots are inserted in one of the classes. Can I override that here or do I need to go into the stylesheet? I'm not sure how to proceed. Thanks for the help!

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="calibre">
<head>
<title>s Bread</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css"/>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="page_styles.css"/>
</head>
<body class="calibre1">
<ul class="outline_"><li class="calibre2"><h1 class="p-p" id="calibre_pb_7"><span id="anchor130" class="calibre3"></span><span id="anchor131" class="calibre3"></span>Two – Our Identity<a id="anchor132" class="calibre3"></a><a id="anchor133" class="calibre3"></a></h1>
</li>
</ul>
Old 08-11-2023, 02:13 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I always Save As an extra docx and only ever edit the odt.
Also create your own named style with the same properties as Heading1, 2, 3 etc as mysteriously they can otherwise export in bulleted list style in the Save As docx.
Do fresh extra Save As docx after fixing the odt as as above.

Then no editing of HTML or CSS is needed.

The <ul and <li are list HTML. The CSS will be saying put a bullet. If you do the styles correctly and only edit odt but EXTRA Save As for Calibre in docx you will get heading working properly.

Don't waste time trying to fix a broken export/import!

You MUST also make your own styles for headings. You can copy the Heading1 etc properties exactly.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-11-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:17 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A quick look at the code you posted suggests that since your heading is being displayed as a list, what you are seeing is the list marker. You might want to take a look at the calibre2 and/or outline_ classes in the CSS stylesheet. If there is a list-style: disc; there, change it to list-style: none; otherwise just add the list-style: none; to it. The CSS might use list-style-type: whatever; which can be changed to list-style-type: none;

A quick and dirty fix if it works.
Old 08-11-2023, 03:20 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I agree: It is a UL (those get a mark, not a letter or number)

I suspect you tried to auto number your chapters in your source
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 04:17 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I agree: It is a UL (those get a mark, not a letter or number)

I suspect you tried to auto number your chapters in your source
No, it's a bug. If you import odt direct or sometimes even using Save As, you stare at Header1 in LO Writer and it's style is Level 1 and No List, but bulleted or numbered in the converted HTML!
You make a new identical style with ALL the same properties called anything (Mine is ChapterO) and then the Save As docx, import to Calibre and convert to an epub and its 100% fine.

Using odt directly is poor.

Using all my own names of header styles and no style based on another (inherited works for PDF Export, not well for docx Save As) then the epub is exactly like the LO Writer on screen or paper. I even use a Libra sized page (assuming 300dpi) so as to compare.
Heading styles with page break before should have no style set for page and you need padding set for top margin for headings at start of a page on ereader.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-11-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:29 AM   #11
n88yanks

Thanks to everyone for your help. I eventually just deleted all the li tags and now it looks great.
Old 08-12-2023, 04:31 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by n88yanks View Post
Thanks to everyone for your help. I eventually just deleted all the li tags and now it looks great.
Brute force and massive ignorance for the win!
Old 08-12-2023, 05:06 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Brute force and massive ignorance for the win!
I prefer to fix the source and re-import (via Metadata Edit page). With up to 40 revisions per MSS and nearly as many MSS, life is too short to be fixing in the Editor.

I do edit imported 3rd party if a View exposes something stupid. As likely commercial random fishy birds as PD. I don't bother checking Joffe books now.

Tags
epub, header, odt, toc