Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
abvgd
abvgd began at the beginning.

Device: none
"Maximum TOC links reached, stopping"

This is not an error report, it's just an inquiry on an ongoing conversion. I'm currently converting a large MOBI format dictionary into EPUB (no custom settings) and during the ongoing conversion process (it will probably take a week or so to complete on my laptop), the Job Details window has reported the below message:
Quote:
Maximum TOC links reached, stopping.
Auto generated TOC with 50 entries.
If I understand this correctly, what the Table of Contents ("TOC") refers to is the EPUB equivalent to PDF bookmarks and does not affect actual links within the ebook itself (e.g. in the ebook's own table of contents). Am I right or wrong in this assumption?

Because, I would not like the EPUB file to retain 50 links in the text itself, only to randomly cut the sequence off after 50 links and converting the rest of the links into plain text. That would be an unsatisfactory way of dealing with the issue, both visually and functionally. Either you keep all links or you keep none.

Either way, is this limit of 50 entries fixed or can it be adjusted - if so, how/where? And would changing this limit significantly slow down the conversion or subsequent reading of the file?

Last edited by abvgd; 05-30-2014 at 09:27 AM.
abvgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvgd View Post
This is not an error report, it's just an inquiry on an ongoing conversion. I'm currently converting a large MOBI format dictionary into EPUB (no custom settings) and during the ongoing conversion process (it will probably take a week or so to complete on my laptop), the Job Details window has reported the below message:

If I understand this correctly, what the Table of Contents ("TOC") refers to is the EPUB equivalent to PDF bookmarks and does not affect actual links within the ebook itself (e.g. in the ebook's own table of contents). Am I correct in this assumption?

Because, I would not like the EPUB file to retain 50 links in the text itself, only to randomly cut the sequence off after 50 links and converting the rest of the links into plain text. That would be an unsatisfactory way of dealing with the issue, both visually and functionally. Either you keep all links or you keep none.

Either way, is this limit of 50 entries fixed or can it be adjusted - if so, how/where? And would changing this limit significantly slow down the conversion or subsequent reading of the file?
The TOC mentioned above is the NCX. This is the 'official' one used by many EPUB2 devices. Any internal (AKA inline) TOC 's are extra, not required (and a PITA to use on some devices )

There is a conversion preference (TOC section) to control number of links. I have mine set at 100, BUT I also have 2G or more RAM in all my systems.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
abvgd
abvgd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks... Well, the important thing for me is that the text itself isn't messed with in any way. I'll just let the conversion finish with the default setting, since I'm already one day into the conversion process. It's good to know, however, that this can be set to some other value if necessary...
abvgd is offline   Reply With Quote