Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #61
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
My country's kits:

the first one is ugly in my opinion. Looks like a pijama. Definitely not the best kit.

However, the alternative kit is better in my opinion:

Blue and white where the colours of the portugal flag for almost 800 years, this red and green flag was only adopted when monarchy was replaced by a republic.

I am in no way a monarchist, but a symbol that represented 800 years of history should have been kept.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #62
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I usually like the Argentinian jersey but this year they made it with thinner stripes. I think they look better with thicker ones.

I also find the Australia one nice. Kind of stylish retro. Reminds me of Brazil in the 70's. Too bad they don't have a great team.

I also used to like the Italy jersey, but since they changed to his new supplier i could not find one that i like.
Advert
Old 06-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #63
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I seem to be a sucker for the three stripes this year with Bosnia-Herzegovina and Argentina, but the yellow Colombia ones are shazam. I also really liked Japans' dark blue jersey and the bright yellow one is a great colour. I also like Croatia's because the checkerboard is classic, distinct and just goofy enough to love.

England's very understated and classic look is pretty nice as well. I'll probably change my judgements once I see them on the pitch.

Not much of a fan of Australia's collar.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #64
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Does anyone know how the FIFA rankings work? I'm trying to understand how Switzerland is ranked #6 when they clearly should be ranked #1. Is it just that they are favoured within their grouping and their group is ranked the 6th best?

Spoiler:

Yes my family tree goes back to Switzerland but mainly I'm trying to avoid getting "accidentally" banned from MobileRead.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #65
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Is simple really. A team’s total number of points over a four-year period is determined by adding:

· the average number of points gained from matches during the past 12 months;
and

· the average number of points gained from matches older than 12 months (depreciates yearly).

Calculation of points for a single match

The number of points that can be won in a match depends on the following factors:

• Was the match won or drawn? (M)

• How important was the match (ranging from a friendly match to a FIFA World Cup™ match)? (I)

• How strong was the opposing team in terms of ranking position and the confederation to which they belong? (T and C)

These factors are brought together in the following formula to ascertain the total number of points (P).

P = M x I x T x C

The following criteria apply to the calculation of points:

M: Points for match result

Teams gain 3 points for a victory, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a defeat. In a penalty shoot-out, the winning team gains 2 points and the losing team gains 1 point.

I: Importance of match

Friendly match (including small competitions): I = 1.0

FIFA World Cup™ qualifier or confederation-level qualifier: I = 2.5

Confederation-level final competition or FIFA Confederations Cup: I = 3.0

FIFA World Cup™ final competition: I = 4.0

T: Strength of opposing team

The strength of the opponents is based on the formula: 200 – the ranking position of the opponents
As an exception to this formula, the team at the top of the ranking is always assigned the value 200 and the teams ranked 150th and below are assigned a minimum value of 50. The ranking position is taken from the opponents’ ranking in the most recently published FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking.

C: Strength of confederation

When calculating matches between teams from different confederations, the mean value of the confederations to which the two competing teams belong is used. The strength of a confederation is calculated on the basis of the number of victories by that confederation at the last three FIFA World Cup™ competitions (see following page). Their values are as follows:

UEFA/CONMEBOL 1.00 CONCACAF 0.88
AFC/CAF 0.86 OFC 0.85

All information taken from the FIFA website. I make no pretence of actually understanding this!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #66
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^Lol.

It's not that bad really and makes quite a bit of sense when you actually read it to understand it.

The only thing that doesn't work is you really need to play matches to get a higher ranking in some cases.

A team could lose ten and win three, but be ranked ahead of a team that just won three and lost one against similar competition.

Tennis has the same issue where playing more tournaments can mean a higher ranking despite not really being a better player.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #67
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia

It was nice to know how they calculate the rankings, but personally, i never even bother to know what place any team is, since i think it is a bit meaningless. Football is so unpredictable, and Switzerland being 6 is beyond logic for me (I am thinking about Switzerland but i could talk about many other teams e.g. Scotland above Sweden, or Ghana or Japan???).

Last edited by Salgueiros; 06-12-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #68
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia

Ladies and Gentlemen, it starts today!

Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #69
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia

My prediction for the first game:

Brazil 3 Croatia 1
Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #70
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

We will see how good Brazil defends today. Croatia is a good test, but Croatia has played very few games this year.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #71
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia

I think Croatia had better players in the past (i remember Boban, Prosinecki, Boksic, Suker, Vlaovic, Asanovic...), but let's see how they do.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #72
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I predict an upset in the first game; Brazil 1 v 2 Croatia
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #73
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Mario Mandžukić being out is tough. I think the 3-1 score is probably right.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #74
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
OK, here's the tournament I'd like to see...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-11_1458.png
Views:	218
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	124069  
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #75
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I predict an upset in the first game; Brazil 1 v 2 Croatia
That would be a huge upset indeed. I think no host nation ever lost the opening game, if I am not mistaken.