Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Apple Watch Event - Mon 09 Mar

Spring Forward

Quote:
Join us on March 9 at 10 a.m. PDT for our special event.
Watch the live video and follow every moment on apple.com/live.
Quote:
Live streaming video requires Safari 5.1.10 or later on OS X v10.6.8 or later; Safari on iOS 6.0 or later. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 6.2 or later.
Not only is it expensive ($349), but it's also really ugly.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Kind of odd that they are having it this early given that they were saying an April release, but I guess that we will see.

Given that my hiking watch costs over $200, $350 isn't a bad price point. These aren't in competition with your basic $20 Timex, you know. As far as ugly, well, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I'm going to be interested to see exactly what these puppies can do and why I would want to buy one.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Given that my hiking watch costs over $200, $350 isn't a bad price point. These aren't in competition with your basic $20 Timex, you know.
My hiking watch cost $30.

Quote:
As far as ugly, well, if you don't like it, don't buy it.
I never planned to. I don't buy expensive and/or ugly watches.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I still think Pebble has the right idea for a smartwatch...using e-ink. Can be read in full sun and the battery lasts much longer.

A watch doesn't do you much good if the battery dies at 4pm each day.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have to love the fact there is no mention of how to stream on a Windows PC!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Lovely way to shut out potential customers
Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Kind of odd that they are having it this early given that they were saying an April release, but I guess that we will see.

Given that my hiking watch costs over $200, $350 isn't a bad price point. These aren't in competition with your basic $20 Timex, you know. As far as ugly, well, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I'm going to be interested to see exactly what these puppies can do and why I would want to buy one.
$350 watch that you will feel the need to replace after 1-2 years when the newer version is out. Luxury watches are like jewelry you expect them to last for 5-10 years hence the higher price. Paying similar amount for a smart watch is a bit much. Under $100 smartwatch I wont mind even if have to update it every 2 years.
I am specially sceptical of the Apple watch with all the articles with how apple wanted to put a lot more inside it but the tech wasn't there yet. If I was ever going to buy an apple watch I would advise to wait for ver 2.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must confess, I've never understood the compulsion to, as they say, take a leak in someone else's cheerios.

If you don't want to buy an Apple watch, that's fine. No one is going to put a gun to your head to buy it. I rather imagine Apple will find plenty of takers for it. There are a lot of products out there that I have no interest in, but I generally don't create a thread about a product then dump on it, nor do I hop on a thread about a product and pound my chest about how I would never buy it.

I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to buy it or not. Hopefully this event will be Apple's way of making the case _why_ I would want to buy it. If it really is going to be priced at $350, then that's not a bad price point for watches that do something other than tell time. For example, my hiking watch, a Casio Pathfinder, which unlike the standard $20 Timex, has things like a barometer/altimeter and compass built in, cost around $200. I'm willing to pay that because it solves some problems that I need solved.

A co-worker was demoing the android smart watch that he had bought a couple of months back. It was interesting to see which features he liked and found useful. I suspect that if the Apple watch is a hit, it will be in unexpected ways. For example, I don't think that when the iPad was launched, Apple thought of it as a ebook reader/game machine/web browser, yet for a lot of people, that's the primary use.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I must confess, I've never understood the compulsion to, as they say, take a leak in someone else's cheerios.

If you don't want to buy an Apple watch, that's fine. No one is going to put a gun to your head to buy it. I rather imagine Apple will find plenty of takers for it. There are a lot of products out there that I have no interest in, but I generally don't create a thread about a product then dump on it, nor do I hop on a thread about a product and pound my chest about how I would never buy it.
I'm researching it for a family member who might get one.

Out of curiosity, what does a hiking watch have to do with a thread on smartwatches?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Are these watches called smart because they're able to convince consumers to pay $350? If so, I'd be interested in a watch-to-smart-watch converter. I own a few too many spares already.

Imagine the potential resale value of a Raymond Weil watch-to-smartwatch.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm going to wait a bit. I have my set of apps I really like to use on my iPhone, and I'd like to wait until the developers sort out their watch integration. Plus, iOS 8 needs to be more stable. We're getting there in the 8.3 betas, but I don't want to have to run a developer version of iOS just to use the watch without issues.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #12
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Spring Forward

Not only is it expensive ($349), but it's also really ugly.
If you think that $249 is pricey (I Agree) that is for the plastic sport model.

I know not many will buy this one the 18 Karat Gold watch is rumored to be priced at 10,000.00 to 20,000.00 dollars!

well I believe we know which one Paris and Kim will be getting!
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #13
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe that Cnet will do a live blog of the event and that will be available on any browser!

zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #14
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what does a hiking watch have to do with a thread on smartwatches?
Well, they generally have GPS, altimeters, barometers and compasses built in, so they are smarter than the average watch
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm researching it for a family member who might get one.

Price point. Comparing the price point of the Apple Watch to a $20 Timex is a bit like comparing the price point of an el cheapo $20 calculator with a tablet or smart phone. Yea, it's cheaper, but so what?