Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
kevorkian
kevorkian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Sounds like your attitude might be the biggest problem, if you were anywhere near this bad with them. Hint: treating customer service employees with a little more common courtesy and basic respect will get you a lot further. An attitude like you've shown only makes people obstinate.
My thoughts exactly. If you treat service employees like we're idiots, we'll mislead you to spite you.
kevorkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #17
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Sounds like your attitude might be the biggest problem, if you were anywhere near this bad with them. Hint: treating customer service employees with a little more common courtesy and basic respect will get you a lot further. An attitude like you've shown only makes people obstinate.
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/smack.gif

Yeah ... sure. As a good customer you'd better apologize for buying a flawed product and then causing trouble by contacting customer service. It's always your duty to make the seller happy ....
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
unaj41
Enthusiast
unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... An attitude like you've shown only makes people obstinate.
Really? You are basically implying that I'm stupid ... Right, first thing I did I sent Kobo an email full of my 'attitude' ... yeah, very smart ...

Of course it was an email chain which only gradually escalated to my, as you so nicely put it, 'attitude' ... only after Kobo repeated their 'not our problem' position couple of times, only then ...
So no disrespect, but I don't agree with your attitude of defending company which is clearly not taking responsibility for product they are selling ...
unaj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaj41 View Post
Really? You are basically implying that I'm stupid ... Right, first thing I did I sent Kobo an email full of my 'attitude' ... yeah, very smart ...

Of course it was an email chain which only gradually escalated to my, as you so nicely put it, 'attitude' ... only after Kobo repeated their 'not our problem' position couple of times, only then ...
So no disrespect, but I don't agree with your attitude of defending company which is clearly not taking responsibility for product they are selling ...
And yet your outcome is diametrically opposite to what several others here have experienced. To what do you attribute this difference?
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
unaj41
Enthusiast
unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
... diametrically opposite
My email:
I have recently purchased Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell ... I want to report this as a "Defective Product" which I am not satisfied with. There are literally hundreds of missing periods, word spaces, and commas ... several per page, along with many false line breaks ... The reading experience is very much compromised by this poor quality ...
I would like to inquire about Kobo policy in such cases ... Thanks!

Kobo's response:
I have reviewed the email and see that you are stating that in your purchased title " Cloud Atlas" , there are missing punctuation's and spacing issues. As the title is provided to us in a ready to sell format from the publisher, Kobo does not edit the titles in any manner. At this time, we can not offer any form of reimbursement for the purchase, but will contact the publisher to inform them of the editing errors so they can provide us with a corrected version of the book. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to contact us for assistance.

Call me a jerk with an attitude ... I guess as guma stated "I should have rather apologize for buying a flawed product and then causing trouble by contacting customer service ... "
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well.... mine was as follows:

Quote:
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien appears to have some font issues in Kobo Desktop (and of course the Touch).
Various tims in the book, the font "changes" within the text for no apparent reason.
See for instance the very start of the book:
Here, the first paragraph is in a much smaller type face from the second. This behaviour continues throughout the book.
This was followed by the standard pass to 2nd level support eMail
Quote:
Hi Peter Thomas,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We’ve escalated your issue to our Tier 2 support team.

The Tier 2 team will try to provide a resolution as soon as possible and will contact you if they require additional information in order to resolve your issue.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
then
Quote:
Hi Peter Thomas,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We’ve escalated your issue to our Tier 2 Devices and Apps support team.

The Tier 2 team will have a look at this and will try to provide a resolution as soon as possible and will contact you if they require additional information in order to resolve your issue.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
with a resolution finally of
Quote:
Hi Peter Thomas,

You're right - this eBook appears to have some formatting issues. We apologize for this inconvenience.

We can’t provide you with an exact date when the eBook will be corrected, as this depends entirely on the publisher, but we’ll do our best to expedite the process.

We’ll also provide you with a store credit for this eBook. Your store credit will be processed shortly and we’ll send a confirmation email as soon as the store credit has been applied to your Kobo account.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
And yet your outcome is diametrically opposite to what several others here have experienced. To what do you attribute this difference?
Perhaps the customer care employee.........
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #23
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Aieee, and I just suddenly had flashbacks to a 'professional development' course dealing with how we interact with each other

My experience has been that 'this is broken, how are you going to fix it' works a lot less often than 'this is broken, can you do anything to help me?.' I know it seems silly, and for many people, they really don't see the difference. For some of us, however, the former is... not going to make them super inclined to help, especially, if in a case like this, they aren't *required* to...

All that being said, certainly some of it is who you reach in Customer Support, what sort of day they're having, things like that... all the more reason to be polite, friendly, and non-confrontational
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Seems to me a pretty clear case of policy change. A few moths ago it was "We don't know how long it will take to fix, but here's a credit.".. now it's. "we can not offer any form of reimbursement for the purchase."...

This thread is in no way sponsored by Amazon

PS. I would introduce these ... people to Mastercard conflict resolution and whatever consumer protection law applies (which might also influence Kobo policy, where you are buying from...) But that's probably also a good way to get you account nuked, if you still care about that kind of thing.

Last edited by rashkae; 09-27-2012 at 07:23 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
unaj41
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thp1017 View Post
... a 'professional development' course dealing with how we interact with each other
I totally agree with you and we can discuss the art of communication and human psychology for hours and days, but the matter of fact is when it comes to the customer service WE SHOULD NOT NEED TO!
This is a clear cut, verifiable case of a faulty product: customer bought a product that is defective so he should be either offer replacement, refund or some kind of a credit ... simple as that.
Even if the customer is the biggest jerk on this planet (totally hypothetically ) with all the attitude you can get he is still entitled to no less then anybody else ...
Kobo is betting on all the fan-boys out there who believes that their favorite company can do no wrong ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
This thread is in no way sponsored by Amazon
Sadly I like Kobo, I never had any issue with the Touch or with Kobo as a company. I like them for standing up to the big guys like Amazon, but this issue just pissed me off mainly because it's so petty and basic ...
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #26
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Kobo's response:
[I][SIZE="1"]I have reviewed the email and see that you are stating that in your purchased title " Cloud Atlas" , there are missing punctuation's and spacing issues. As the title is provided to us in a ready to sell format from the publisher, Kobo does not edit the titles in any manner.
So, Kobo is continuing to sell a product that it knows is defective?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #27
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I'd be interested to know how the ebook retailing market works. Can Kobo pick & choose from a publisher's catalogue, or are they required to "carry" all of it? I wouldn't be surprised at the latter... allowing pick & choose would be more technically difficult, and as the computing infrastructure wouldn't need to be all that "bigger"...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #28
unaj41
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
So, Kobo is continuing to sell a product that it knows is defective?
Yup, they have no problem with that - after all, as they said, they are 'only' selling it: the content is not their problem ...
It's like you buy a laptop from a computer store, unpack it at home only to find out that few letter keys are missing from the keyboard .... and the store will tell you they are 'only' selling it: hey, it is made in China ... you can complain there ...
Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #29
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
... But what is the worst is how Kobo customer support treats its customers:

When I raised the issue with them they basically told me to F*** OFF, because it is not their fault - it is publishers fault ... they only sell it ...
Quote:
My email:
I have recently purchased Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell ... I want to report this as a "Defective Product" which I am not satisfied with. There are literally hundreds of missing periods, word spaces, and commas ... several per page, along with many false line breaks ... The reading experience is very much compromised by this poor quality ...
I would like to inquire about Kobo policy in such cases ... Thanks!

Kobo's response:
I have reviewed the email and see that you are stating that in your purchased title " Cloud Atlas" , there are missing punctuation's and spacing issues. As the title is provided to us in a ready to sell format from the publisher, Kobo does not edit the titles in any manner. At this time, we can not offer any form of reimbursement for the purchase, but will contact the publisher to inform them of the editing errors so they can provide us with a corrected version of the book. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to contact us for assistance.

Call me a jerk with an attitude ... I guess as guma stated "I should have rather apologize for buying a flawed product and then causing trouble by contacting customer service ... "
You asked them what their policy was and they told you, giving you EXACTLY what you requested. How is that bad customer service?
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #30
unaj41
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
You asked them what their policy was and they told you, giving you EXACTLY what you requested. How is that bad customer service?
If you don't understand or see what the issue is here then i am sorry, I can't help ... If you agree with Kobo's policy or really think that I only inquired about it then I can't help either ... If you're joking then yes, I agree - this whole thing very much feels like a joke rather then an act of a professional, customer oriented company ...

Tags
cloud atlas, kobo customer service, kobo support