Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
It's physics - a hinge creates a stress point that a metal body can stand up to, but a plastic body can't.
It isn't so much the hinge, but rather that it attached at certain points to keep things rigid without encasing the whole device. The Nook STR took this approach, but poorly. The Nook tended to flop around in the cover due to having two flimsy attach points.

The best thing about the earlier Sony cases was the semi-intangibles. In the cover it felt a bit like a quality notebook. It sat well in the hand. The T1 feels like a device in a Chinese-made case. It has a lot of the same qualities that made me cringe at most (but not all) of the Nook cases. It works, but lacks the sort of quality that helped trick my brain into accepting it as a book replacement.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't get that at all.. I have right here next to me both a 650 and T1 in their official covers, and frankly, I think the T1 cover sits better and feels better constructed. (Holding the reader in a form fit clasp is much more solid than the cheap platic hinge in the 650 cover.) The material of the two covers looks and feels almost identical.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
A big chunk of it are the little things (semi-intangibles as I put it before). The edges of the T1 cover are left rough and sharp (at least mine was), which made it feel cheap. Without the need for magnets, they didn't have any sewing into the cover itself, which is a small but nice touch. The back of the cover has a nice grip, but the shape tends to remind you that you are using a device. The lip of the clasp presents another edge when reading one-handed that bugged me. The front actually had something to stay put on the 650, and the T1 has nothing so the cover tends to flop a bit.

I'm not gonna say they did a bad job with what they had. It's better than the Nook covers I've tried with the STR. Hell, I couldn't even read with the Nook one-handed in the cover with my left hand because of the flimsy clasp they have (could with the right). The materials are close enough to recapture most of the style, and important for most folk, it does the job. But at the end it isn't quite the same thing.

I know the things that bug me are subjective, but I can't just ignore them. I only ever used the Nook STR without a cover (even though I tried) because of these harder to quantify issues with the covers.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
A big chunk of it are the little things (semi-intangibles as I put it before). The edges of the T1 cover are left rough and sharp (at least mine was), which made it feel cheap. Without the need for magnets, they didn't have any sewing into the cover itself, which is a small but nice touch. The back of the cover has a nice grip, but the shape tends to remind you that you are using a device. The lip of the clasp presents another edge when reading one-handed that bugged me. The front actually had something to stay put on the 650, and the T1 has nothing so the cover tends to flop a bit.
These are the things that bother me about the standard case too, especially the edge thing on the right-side of the reader. I would rather rest my thumb on the flat surface of the device than on a raised edge. A cover that won't stay put is also annoying. I wish it were more "book-like", similar to past Sony covers or the Kindle standard covers.

I bought the Sony cover because I wanted a lighted option for traveling. I am looking forward to seeing what designs become available from other vendors.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #20
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
This is different

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIEA-Car...item5d30c5c9e2
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #21
Homsa
Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.Homsa knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Pocketbook 302, iPad, Kindle3, Sony 650, Kindle4 NT
If someone likes sleeve for his reader, Oberon design now started to offer mini sleeves for Kindle Non-touch (or Kindle 4).

http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/car...duct_list&c=90

It's size 7.375 x 7.25 inches may work with Sony T1 as well. Haven't tried it, but if Amazon Kindle Non-touch sleeve works with T1, why not?
Homsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #22
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
I don't care for a cover but I would like a non slip rubber back like the ones for the iPad.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #23
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I don't care for a cover but I would like a non slip rubber back like the ones for the iPad.
agree. a zip sleeve for just carrying around would be nice. we'll see what comes out.

Last edited by democrite; 10-20-2011 at 07:26 PM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #24
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I'm tempted to get one of the official Sony covers just so I have something to keep my new Reader in--I'd like to take it with me on a trip next month--but I just know if I wait a couple months or so, a third party will come out with one that I actually like, making the Sony cover a waste of money. I have a Tuff-luv easel-style cover for my PRS-350 and it's pretty awesome. I wouldn't mind something similar for my T1.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #25
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
I'm tempted to get one of the official Sony covers just so I have something to keep my new Reader in--I'd like to take it with me on a trip next month--but I just know if I wait a couple months or so, a third party will come out with one that I actually like, making the Sony cover a waste of money. I have a Tuff-luv easel-style cover for my PRS-350 and it's pretty awesome. I wouldn't mind something similar for my T1.
Tuff luv are planning on releasing a similar cover within a month, or at least thats what they told me.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #26
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
Tuff luv are planning on releasing a similar cover within a month, or at least thats what they told me.
Yeah, I thought I remembered seeing that mentioned elsewhere. It's good news--the case I have on my PRS-350 is pretty awesome, even if I could do without the little kickstand thing on the back

Still, I'm thinking about getting the official Sony case w/light to tide me over until something else comes along. Maybe it'll come in hand one day If I ever want to read a book during a power outage
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #27
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homsa View Post
If someone likes sleeve for his reader, Oberon design now started to offer mini sleeves for Kindle Non-touch (or Kindle 4).

http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/car...duct_list&c=90

It's size 7.375 x 7.25 inches may work with Sony T1 as well. Haven't tried it, but if Amazon Kindle Non-touch sleeve works with T1, why not?
I keep my T1 in a small Oberon sleeve and it works great.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #28
Ozric
Zealot

I just picked up an official Sony cover with the built-in light. Maybe it'll grow on me, but I'm not really a fan of it so far. The vinyl and plastic exterior materials, and the looseness of the front cover when closed, make the overall design feel a little cheap. This is my first cover with built-in light, and the implementation of it is pretty neat. I do appreciate that the front cover easily bends back behind the device for convenient one-handed reading, and having a cover on the reader feels like it'll make it easier for me to hold.

I suppose it'll do until something better comes along, but $50 seems a little much for it.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #29
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Well, I went a little crazy making covers once I got the hang of it.

I found a bunch of wine tasting journals that were the perfect size at the DollarTree:

Using the instructions I turned one into a cover disguised as a book.

It's lined with some taffeta I got out of the remnant bin at Joann Fabric. I highly recommend using a stronger glue than the Instructables recommends.

I also got some imitation leather out of the remnant bin, so with some cardboard and glue I made this:

The most expensive part of this was the magnetic closure. All the parts cost lest than $5. It has some problems, so I'm remaking it now, but I got enough faux leather to make 8 of them, so I can afford to mess up a few.

I bought some quilting fabric at Walmart and covered some of the journals:

I used elastic headbands for the elastic so I could have some more colors than just black:

So now my T1 can wear a different dress every day, and I still have some journals left for when I get bored.

Last edited by khalleron; 10-23-2011 at 05:59 PM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #30
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Very cool Kate! Just love what you did... Now you have something that's uniquely yours. Bravo!!!
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote