Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Shakenbake158
Enthusiast
Shakenbake158 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can The Simple Touch Be Used as a Reliable Web Browser?

I am trying to decide between the color and the touch. The only reason I would want the color is to have the browser. But I like the battery life off the touch and I have heard the Nook touch had a web browser, could this be used to check email, and forums?
Shakenbake158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
If you're going to rely on the device for web browsing often, you will be quite disappointed with the Touch. The Color is infinitely better for what you're looking for.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Shakenbake158
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrock View Post
If you're going to rely on the device for web browsing often, you will be quite disappointed with the Touch. The Color is infinitely better for what you're looking for.

I would get the Color, but how is reading on it? It dosent have an e-ink display plus the battery dosent last as long.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakenbake158 View Post
I would get the Color, but how is reading on it? It dosent have an e-ink display plus the battery dosent last as long.
It depends on you. Some people can't read on a backlight LCD screen for very long without getting a headache. Most people aren't bothered. Do you read outdoors in daylight a lot? If so, the color will be difficult, if not impossible to use. Do you read indoors in dim light a lot? If so, the Touch will require a reading light accessory.

Also, from the few moments I play with a Touch in the local store, it seems that the browser in it is far from complete. I could be wrong, but I couldn't get it to work right even to follow links.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Shakenbake158
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
It depends on you. Some people can't read on a backlight LCD screen for very long without getting a headache. Most people aren't bothered. Do you read outdoors in daylight a lot? If so, the color will be difficult, if not impossible to use. Do you read indoors in dim light a lot? If so, the Touch will require a reading light accessory.

Also, from the few moments I play with a Touch in the local store, it seems that the browser in it is far from complete. I could be wrong, but I couldn't get it to work right even to follow links.
So basically the Touches browser would be okay to just check email and stuff. Thats all I need plus the battery and E-ink screen I think the Touch is right for me.
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It does not work well at all. For example, you can load a wikipedia page, but I'm not able to scroll reliably (among other things). If you need it to work with email, definitely try it out at a store before buying.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-26-2011 at 08:43 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I don't really understand the question. The Touch only has a browser because someone stumbled upon it by doing a text search, but putting a webaddress in and this semi-working browser came up. How can you expect it to work well when it is not even a feature tha B&N says the device has. If you want a browser, get the Color.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
Shakenbake158
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I don't really understand the question. The Touch only has a browser because someone stumbled upon it by doing a text search, but putting a webaddress in and this semi-working browser came up. How can you expect it to work well when it is not even a feature tha B&N says the device has. If you want a browser, get the Color.
Yeah I understand what your saying, but the Color is not as nice to read on and the battery life is not two months.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Yeah I understand what your saying, but the Color is not as nice to read on and the battery life is not two months.
These are 2 different beasts. Although the nook color is sold as an eReader, it is more of a general purpose device, with emphasis on reading. If you to read books, with no fancy stuff, the nook touch is the right reader for you. On the other hand, if you want browsing, email, games and such, the color is the right one.

With the original the line was a bit blurred as it did web browsing and games, but the touch has stayed clear of that, making a clear distinction between the touch and the color.
afv011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
This is going to sound snarky, but honestly, I think the only way you'll get everything you want is to buy both. Life is full of difficult choices.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
For sure you can expect some reduction in battery life on the Touch, if it operates in browser mode. Gotta power that little radio

I don't understand the hype over a purported 2 month battery life. True my Nookcolor requires charging every other day. So I have the charger on my night stand, and plug the NC in just before I turn out the light to sleep. No hassle. Where are you going to be two months from now when the Touch battery runs out? Most likely you'll have lost the charger by then.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
Where are you going to be two months from now when the Touch battery runs out? Most likely you'll have lost the charger by then.
2 months is probably a lot longer than most people would need, but I have required two weeks of battery life from my eink readers in the past, and will again in the future. When traveling abroad, it's nice to have a device that won't require regular charging.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
Mellobob
Connoisseur
Mellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blueMellobob can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I'm thinking of rooting my device ... mostly in the expectation that I might get a usable browser. Waste of effort or worthwhile?
Mellobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
timothyh
timothyh is on a distinguished road

Device: nook color, nook touch, sony 350
I own both. There is a reason that B&N does not list the browser on the touch. Rather poor at this stage--DO NOT purchase Touch for the present browser. The browser on the color is much better. I've had my nook to China, Europe, Canada, and Mexico--charging during the night. Not a big deal. I prefer reading from the Touch--it really is less eye strain--even though the B&N color is still quite good. PDFs on either are poor (maybe terrible on the Touch?)--eZ pdf viewer is much better on the color.
I also own a Sony pocket edition. Wonderful little reader that fits into a shirt pocket, but the Touch reads easier--much better touch screen. Sony, on the other hand, has a wonderful library system compared to either of the Nooks. Load a tagged book from Calibre and that is the folder that the book will occupy. Also, it has a rather good pdf viewer. Not worth $179--I paid $119--I have recently seen it for $99. Rumor has it that Sony will be selling updated viewers in the near future (probably still overpriced).

Rooting--my color is running from an sd card. I love it. Several web browsers are available. I have heard that the nook runs faster when hard rooted--I have seen them, and the speed does seem much faster than my sd. I strongly feel that running from sd and keeping the nook in original configuration is the best way to go. I would also suggest installing a dual boot which is available on the internet. Sd card is very easy to set up with instructions on the internet. If you have the downloaded programs (all free), the setup takes about 10 minutes. I have tried several sd cards--most work poorly (even though good quality and specs.). Try a Sandisk 4gb class 4 card. Best Buy had them, but I cannot locate them recently. I purchased my latest (for my daughter) from Walmart

Touch root--soft root has been accomplished that anyone should be able to follow. Keep the original configuration as well as being able to add android apps. The market works, but not well. Amazon app store works well, and one can obtain several different browsers from them, as well as many different apps. The refresh rate on some of the apps are terrible. I'll stick with only rooting the color, but it would be nice to have a browser and "good pdf viewer" on the Touch.
timothyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The browser is actually required to complete Facebook, Twitter, and Gmail registration, as well as to facilitate a proxied wifi connection. In each case, it has to render a bit of HTML and let you type in username/password, etc.

Even that does not always work very well; the keyboard tends to pop up over the field you need to type into. It would be nice if they improved the browser, a little bit of effort could go a long way considering how bad it is now, even compared to Nook classic.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote