Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
NOTLguy
NOTLguy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Kobo Account?

On the Chapters book store site in Canada it says under the Kobo Reader:

Account Requirement
To purchase and sync eBooks with the Kobo eReader, you will need a Kobo account.

Does this mean that I cannot load books downloaded from other than the Kobo store via Calibre to the Kobo ereader? What does "sync" really mean?

Thanks,
Bill
NOTLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I do have a KOBO account, but I am pretty sure you would still be able to load books using Calibre without one.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think sync means updating bookmarks etc across various reading platforms.
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Chapters and Kobo are kissing cousins--separate companies with Chapters owning 58% of Kobo. The ebook links on the Chapters site take you to Kobobook.com. People need an account there to buy a book from Kobo--the chapters account login will not work.

Kobo will work with PDF and ePUB books purchased from a wide variety of sources. They must either be non-DRM or the standard Adobe DRM (ADE). You can sideload from Calibre without a Kobo account as long as the format is correct.

As an alternative to sideloading, either through Calibre or Adobe, you can sync books bought through Kobobooks. The synced books use a proprietary Kobo DRM. Books added to the reader this way will sync across multiple devices, work with the dictionary (currently WiFi Kobo only), and use the website "I'm Reading" list to do things like keep track of bookmarks across devices.

You may want to download the Kobo user guides.http://koboereader.com/user-guide
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTLguy View Post
On the Chapters book store site in Canada it says under the Kobo Reader:

Account Requirement
To purchase and sync eBooks with the Kobo eReader, you will need a Kobo account.

Does this mean that I cannot load books downloaded from other than the Kobo store via Calibre to the Kobo ereader? What does "sync" really mean?

Thanks,
Bill
You may purchase books off Kobobooks.com, as well as online book sources that support epub books, and public libraries.

You will however need to register for a Kobo account via your computer before you can purchase books directly on your Kobo e-reader.

Last edited by MikeLC; 11-16-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: posted the wrong kobo site sorry for the confusion
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
NOTLguy
NOTLguy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks to taming and MikeLC for your replies. I am also considering a Nook and if I go that way, I am thinking that I can download books from anywhere to my PC and then transfer them via Calibre to the ereader ( Nook or Kobo ) so I don't really have to have anything to do with Barnes & Noble in the USA. I could buy bopoks from Chapters and transfer them to the Nook or the Kobo. Also I could borrow ePub books from the library and transfer them to my Nook or Kobo in the same way. If those assumptions are correct , either ereader is in the running, isn't it?

The only pitfall I can see is if the Nook packs it in, I have to return it to the USA for repairs and am not sure if the warranty spans the border to Canada. On the other hand the Kobo is fully supported in Canada.

What I like about the Nook over the Kobo is the ability to play MP3's while reading.

Regards,
Bill
NOTLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert