Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #16111
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished Endless Blue, by Wen Spencer. I usually like her work, but this one felt rushed. Like she had to fit a trilogy into 100k words, and the ending was especially rushed. Overall, no more than a 3 out of 5.

Next up, another Phryne Fisher. #11, Away with the Fairies. At least I know I'll have fun with it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #16112
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just started the first Joe Pike book of the series. I've 'met' Pike before when reading the Elvis Cole series, but this is the first time to try the stand-alone. At this point in time it's a bit like Attikus Kodiak with an attitude problem, but fun reading. I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #16113
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I just started the first Joe Pike book of the series. I've 'met' Pike before when reading the Elvis Cole series, but this is the first time to try the stand-alone. At this point in time it's a bit like Attikus Kodiak with an attitude problem, but fun reading. I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Stitchawl
Two thumbs up for Joe Pike.

Desert Places by Blake Crouch has a promising start, where a well known author receives a note one day, telling him there is a body buried on his property, covered in his blood, and killed with one of his own kitchen knives which is now missing, hidden somewhere in his house. What do you do?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #16114
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Yep, I like Joe Pike too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #16115
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Next indie book is The Last Bad Job by Colin Dodds:

Bit of a strange one, so I'll see how I go.
This was quite good actually. Very quotable and something a book club could really get into, the author seems to explore almost random messages of consumerism, selfishness and ennui until he decides to end us all in a massive apocalyptic cacophony. So many messages, or maybe only one, but the sex, drugs and rock 'n roll were fun.

For the next indie read, I'm pulling out the big guns. I'm finally getting ready to read the Shift omnibus by Hugh Howey. He's one of the few authors that I can still treat as indie even though he has big book deals with major publishers. He's one of the vanguard, the pioneers of a new publishing age. Or he's just a guy who got pretty lucky. Either way, I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into this one.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #16116
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Just finished reading BUtterfield 8 by Johh O'Hara. A rather compelling read with Great Depression, great description of New York during Prohibition , speakeasies, absolutely great dialogues, class defined characters. I seriously didn't expect so much sex, drugs and even pedophilia problems in the book written in forties of the last century.

I am now reading The Lockwood Concern from the same author - and it's even better! It's a pitty only three of his books are available in ebook format so I had to pick this one up in paperback from a friend.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #16117
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Dog and Dragon by Dave Freer. A sequel to Dragon's Ring, I think.
I liked it. No real tension in the book, but I like the dragon and the dog's OK. A fun story.

Next up: The Harriers, Book Two: Blood and War created by Gordon R Dickinson.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #16118
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey. Good post-apocalyptic read.

Next up The Big Exit by David Carnoy. If this is as good as his first book, Knife Music, which I got as a freebie here on MR, it should be a great read.

Last edited by MickeyC; 03-31-2013 at 11:25 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #16119
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I finished The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark. It's a wonderful book that feels so alive, and the characters are wonderfully complex. I'm so glad to have read it, since I'm in the midst of my prime. 5 stars.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #16120
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
I'm midway through Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. It's science-fiction noir with a hard-boiled slant. It's the first of a trilogy and the basic technological gimmick is Human Digital Storage. Human bodies are known as "sleeves" which are basically interchangeable. Males can be sleeved in female bodies and vice-versa. Each sleeve has a "stack" embedded in the spine which stores the personality and memories of the "person". Some wealthy people have remote backup and storage arrangements so they effectively become immortal. Others have just one stack which can be destroyed. Takeshi Kovacs is brought to Earth out of offworld storage to investigate the murder of a rich man's sleeve.

I'm enjoying it a lot. Morgan has a gift for writing about violence and an interesting take on a dystopia. He's also written a couple of fantasy novels with a homosexual protagonist. Interesting guy.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #16121
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Ready Player One

Oh man, this is the best book I've read since Wool Omnibus.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #16122
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
I'm midway through Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. It's science-fiction noir with a hard-boiled slant ... Morgan has a gift for writing about violence and an interesting take on a dystopia.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #16123
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Yesterday I finished the twelfth episode, and thus the second season, of Yesterday's Gone. It ended with another great cliffhanger and I can't wait to find out how the story continues. However, I feel I'm on the point of burning out on this series so I'm going to take a break for a while.

I'm now reading Phil Rickman's Bones of Avalon. Last year I read Curfew/Crybbe and although I liked it I didn't love it. This book is much better and after I finish the second book in the Dr. John Dee series I must try his Merrily Watkins series.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #16124
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've just finished Pat Barker's Regeneration Trilogy - and have encountered one of the most powerful pieces of writing I can remember. After 3 volumes detailing the horrific, unimaginable atrocities of WW I - its physical & mental toll upon soldiers, medical personnel, and civilians - described in clinical detail - I was reduced to tears by a one paragraph description of a soldier shooting a puppy because it was so happy to see them, it wouldn't stop barking - and would give away their location to the Germans. This one tiny incident - that takes place during one of the last, unnecessary, bloody "advances" of the war - encapsulated the entire course of the war - the officer proud of his act of slaughter of an "innocent" - to protect his men - whom he is leading into certain death - for no reason except than to follow orders....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #16125
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just started The Brothers Karamazov today. A Russian classic of immense proportions (literally), it's going to take a significant time to get through it.

Only 5% in and I'm already really enjoying it. I find that I'm highlighting and taking notes all over the place. For some reason Dostoyevsky has that effect on me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote