Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Black diamonds with question marks�

I've noticed on occasion text in files imported into Calibre will have some strange black diamonds with question marks in them.

The latest was with an epub book downloaded from Munsey's. I've also seen it in output from a text file. It looks like:

f�te

In this case, the word is supposed to be fête.

I gather Calibre sticks in the mark when it can't translate a certain character. Is there a setting in Calibre I can tweak? Or a way to convert an epub file beforehand so foreign characters will be read correctly when imported into Calibre?
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not think Calibre is doing anything? I think this tends to happen when a font is being used that does not contain the character in question. Many ebook readers have a very limited font set and as far as I know Calibre makes no attempt to limit the output ebook to the font set a particular reader supports.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
????

Seems like calibre tries to guess what the code page is, if it not stated. It may be the input files don't say what they are, so it might be worthwhile to set it in preferences each time before conversion. utf-8, cp-1252 and ISO 8859-1 are possibilities for English.

There is also more than one way to express these characters, one by number, such as #8212 and then in HTML, so this might be something to explore too.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Have you tried transliterate unicode characters under look and feel
It has to be used with the original source file I believe
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote