Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you really miss in K2?
The SD card slot! 51 57.30%
The rubberized back, for a better grip. 15 16.85%
I liked its previous thickness 2 2.25%
It should come with a cover! 38 42.70%
Other (please, post about it) 15 16.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
What do you really miss in Kindle 2?

The new kindle is here with some changes. Some were for the good, other not really. What's your opinion?

You may choose multiple options.

Last edited by Over; 02-10-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Two things I miss in Kindle 2:

- SD Card support (selected in the poll)
- ePub support (not in the poll)
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
1. It should be open.(No DRM)
2. It should be available everywhere (not just in the States)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
SD support and folders!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think the DRM issue kind of kills it. That is one thing i REALLY hate, not just with the kindle, but with all DRM.

Last edited by KindleKat; 02-10-2009 at 03:47 PM.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think this was supposed to be more of a comparison between the K1 and K2, what K1 has the K2 doesn't. I'm sure we all have wishlists of improvements we'd like to see in both.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
cybergeezer
cybergeezer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 and K3 3G + WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite WiFi, iPod Touch 3, 4 & 5
I would miss the SD card flexibility and the user replaceable battery. Within a year my Kindle1 battery was only holding a charge for a few hours. I was happy to spend about $20 to get a new battery without having to give up my Kindle for ? days for warranty service or pay $65 for an extended warranty. What happens after 2 year extended warranty when battery is weakened or fails? The absence of the user replaceable battery is a huge step backwards.
cybergeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I miss the little slidy up and down thingy ...
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I miss the little slidy up and down thingy ...
I'm looking forward to new user reports on how well the new navigation "thingy" works.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Sparhawk2k
Sparhawk2k is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I wish it would support more formats without having to go through some trick conversion process...
Sparhawk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
rho1640
rho1640 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
for me the big things are the SD card slot and the battery -
rho1640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle 2 is an interesting change from the Kindle 1.

I do like the new version's new look. I like the new ergonomics. I like the 2gigs of internal ram. I think the TTS is a good feature for some. And the new screen controller giving it 16 shades and a faster display are good things. I know a lot of people have said they don't care about the 16 shades vs. the original 4 shades, but with the 16 shades comes a faster display.

What the Kindle 2 is missing is (IMHO) software based and could be added in at some time. I feel it's missing ePub support and folder support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I think I could happily do without all the missing options that are listed or mentioned so far. I'm pretty impressed by what I think I see and I wish I had one to read all those ebooks that Amazon sells.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Haven't got mine yet, so can't really say...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I think I could happily do without all the missing options that are listed or mentioned so far. I'm pretty impressed by what I think I see and I wish I had one to read all those ebooks that Amazon sells.
And we determined on another thread that the Kindle is the best devices for canines.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote