Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World
badspell68 doesn't litterbadspell68 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
500 BATTERY REPLACMENT / Less Batt Time?

PRS-500
After upgrading from the original Firmware to the current Firmware my battery has no-where near the run time on the batt. It can deplete in a matter of hours now.

Is there a way to return to the original firmware?
Has anyone discovered what batt is in the reader so it can be replaced?
Is there another fix anyone knows about?

Thanks All!

badspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Your battery meter may just be out of calibration. Try running it down to one bar or so, then connect it to the wall charger (i.e. don't charge it via USB) and leave it overnight.

Good luck!
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

Because it runs down so quickly it always depletes completely, below one bar, or I start charging at one bar.
??????????
Old 03-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'd try BobVA's advice.
A mains charge overnight often sorts out battery calibration problems.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

And when I charge it I do a full night charge

????????????????
Advert
Old 03-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Are you 100% positive you have updated yout prs-500 with the latest firmware update? Because the latest(3rd) firmware completely cured battery meter problem, although the native firmware(1st) and the first update firmware(2nd) messed up battery meter.
Maybe you updated yours prs-500 with the first update?

Also, when you say
Quote:
And when I charge it I do a full night charge
Do you do it with a wall charger or via USB?

The latest version is 1.0.03.07170

To check what firmware version your reader currently has navigate to the main menu on the reader (where you have Continue Reading, Books, By Author, etc.,), choose Settings - 0 option, then choose About - 4 option. The very first line will tell you the firmware version.

Last edited by astra; 03-14-2008 at 01:53 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

I remember the first update...it really screwed things up. The additional following updates cured that problem, but I have never had the battery time I had with the original firmware. My book battery used to last forever. Now I’m lucky if I can read it for a day.

Anyone know of replacement battery information? Looks like it is easy to open and swap-out?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badspell68 View Post
I remember the first update...it really screwed things up. The additional following updates cured that problem, but I have never had the battery time I had with the original firmware. My book battery used to last forever. Now I’m lucky if I can read it for a day.

Anyone know of replacement battery information? Looks like it is easy to open and swap-out?
Have you checked what firmware version your reader has at the moment?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

Looks like I have 1.0.03.07170
Old 03-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
astra
The Introvert

And you do charge it with a wall charger?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

Yes, and have never used USB to charge it ...
Old 03-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

Could my batt be shot?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert

I am afraid it is dead

Someone somewhere on the forum has found a replacement battery, but I believe it is not a trivial process to replace it.

Search the forum for battery replacement, you should find this info.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World

I looked all over and could not find it...It looks easy to open the book.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #15
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
same here.. lots of pictures, but nothing on where to actually get the battery.

F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote