Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
dauntlessluxen
dauntlessluxen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5
Calibre Back-up

Hi! I'm trying to save space on my computer so I need to know. Say I copy all the files in my Calibre library folder to an external drive and I delete all the files in the Calibre library folder itself. If I add a new book in the library of an author I deleted and transferred to my external, if I transfer the said new book to my Kindle (using Send to Device button in Calibre), would Calibre still automatically place it inside the authors folder already in my Kindle or will it create a new one?

Sorry if it's mighty confusing, I tried to explain it best I could!

Last edited by dauntlessluxen; 03-09-2013 at 05:31 AM.
dauntlessluxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moving your Calibre library to a new location will have no effect on the way that Calibre sends books to your Kindle. It will continue to behave exactly as it did before.

Don't delete anything from your Calibre library manually. Select the "Switch/Create Library" menu item in Calibre, and use the "Move current library to a new location" option to move your library to the external drive.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-09-2013 at 06:29 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauntlessluxen View Post
Hi! I'm trying to save space on my computer so I need to know. Say I copy all the files in my Calibre library folder to an external drive and I delete all the files in the Calibre library folder itself. If I add a new book in the library of an author I deleted and transferred to my external, if I transfer the said new book to my Kindle (using Send to Device button in Calibre), would Calibre still automatically place it inside the authors folder already in my Kindle or will it create a new one?
You cannot delete book files from your Calibre library folder - if you do it will not function correctly.

What you could do is simply hold the Calibre library on the external drive. As was mentioned it is a good idea to use Calibre itself to move the library to a new location as that way you ensure that all required files are moved correctly.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
dauntlessluxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You cannot delete book files from your Calibre library folder - if you do it will not function correctly.

What you could do is simply hold the Calibre library on the external drive. As was mentioned it is a good idea to use Calibre itself to move the library to a new location as that way you ensure that all required files are moved correctly.
You mean I could use my external drive as a Calibre library?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauntlessluxen View Post
You mean I could use my external drive as a Calibre library?
That is what I do with an old Laptop drive in a USB case): (The drive also has Calibre portable installed, but I run the main one because the USB2 slows things down a bit)
Now you have a mostly Portable library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
dauntlessluxen

Oh wow. Now I know what to do. Thanks everyone!