Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #46
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
What worries me about the Glow is the cover. I´d rather have a fully closed cover, specially when it´s around my bag... I think the regular book like cover would be dangerous...
Old 07-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #47
otaku_nicole
otaku_nicole will become famous soon enoughotaku_nicole will become famous soon enoughotaku_nicole will become famous soon enoughotaku_nicole will become famous soon enoughotaku_nicole will become famous soon enoughotaku_nicole will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
Uh, I would disagree about how 'fragile' this device is.

So I got my Nook Glowlight last Friday, spilled my entire cup of coffee on it (ON THE FRONT DISPLAY) at work on Monday morning. Turned the device off and wiped the coffee. 10 minutes later.. It works flawlessly.

I love my Nook Glowlight.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #48
rhermans
rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook touch glow in the dark
Yep, it might be more fragile, but why would someone in its right mind drop his car keys on top of the screen. I use a cover, and when not reading it's closed (90% of the time) and I don't drop things on the screen. The light makes this the best eink reader on the market now.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #49
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
This isn't about the Nook Touch, but that post reminds me of a sight I witnessed a couple months ago. This woman set her phone down, one of those iphone or smart phone type things, and then set her keys and her water bottle right on TOP of the phone's screen, rather than on the table beside it, and then walked away. I could NOT believe it. Maybe phone screens are extremely durable? Even with my cheap LG800 I wouldn't do that. (And it was a hot day, in full sunshine, so the water bottle probably sweated onto the phone....shudder)

So, maybe there are people who set their keys on top of their ereader screens.

Last edited by booklover6; 07-17-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #50
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaku_nicole View Post
Uh, I would disagree about how 'fragile' this device is.

So I got my Nook Glowlight last Friday, spilled my entire cup of coffee on it (ON THE FRONT DISPLAY) at work on Monday morning. Turned the device off and wiped the coffee. 10 minutes later.. It works flawlessly.

I love my Nook Glowlight.
So apparently it can withstand coffee on the screen but not a light tap from a mini-USB cable.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #51
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
So apparently it can withstand coffee on the screen but not a light tap from a mini-USB cable.
That´s the thing, how much it can withstand? around a woman´s purse there´s a lot of debris, dust, and sometimes harder things. Don´t underestimate cookie crumbs... I never had a screen breaking on me, even after very hard shocks... But this guy´s Kindle was sitting on his desk, untouched! It simply died on him...
http://www.clubdelebook.com/muerte-de-un-kindle/
Old 07-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #52
rhermans
rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook touch glow in the dark
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
What worries me about the Glow is the cover. I´d rather have a fully closed cover, specially when it´s around my bag... I think the regular book like cover would be dangerous...
I've had the same feeling but I just got me a full alumenium cover from ebay
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/18078493...84.m1438.l2649

and "after bending it back into shape - I think the post had a bad day" it works perfect.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #53
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
This is probably because the problem is caused by the diffraction grating for the lights, which I would guess takes the form of etching in the screen, which has weakened it slightly versus impacts.

When the grating is damaged, light isn't distributed properly any more, and you get a "pool" of light at the point of impact. That is my take, anyway.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #54
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One suggestion I've come across is that the screen protector/light diffusion layer isn't actually being damaged but that it is lifting off from the e-ink screen. This would explain why there is no perceptible damage until you turn the light on and see the hot spots, and it also explains why devices seem to spontaneously develop hotspots even when people have cared for them meticulously, or in cases where units fresh out of the box exhibit this problem.

Whatever is causing it, it's a pretty serious design flaw, and judging by reports at the official Nook forums, Glowtouch owners are having to regularly exchange their devices as they inevitably develop hotspots after a few weeks of use. One poster made the cynical suggestion that Barnes & Noble is eventually going to declare that hotspots are "normal" and refuse to accept returns for that reason.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 08-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #55
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I wonder if these problems are the reasons for the apparent delay (assuming there actually is one) in the release of a similar feature on the Kindle.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #56
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
A few months back, I pre-ordered one, but I decided to wait. Today I read reviews over BN website, some recent reviews complained about the light hole problem. I am curious, is the problem with different shipments? Or, is the design not durable enough for long term use?

Last edited by david8866; 08-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #57
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
I am curious, is the problem with different shipments? Or, is the design not durable enough for long term use?
It really does seem to be an inherent design flaw since people have been consistently reporting it since day one. A shame, really, because it otherwise seems like a very good e-reader.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #58
yasmeen
yasmeen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light
I have a love-hate relationship with the Nook Glow Light. I do a lot of nighttime reading and love how the light works and appears. I bought my first Nook Glow Light mid June. It lasted 2 weeks. The hotspots appeared and I was able to exchange it in the store (after waiting for a call to say it was back in stock). The second one lasted just over 3 weeks. I was once again able to take it to the store and exchange it. The third one lasted just over a month; I had to call and have them send a new one, which arrived yesterday. They sent a certified pre-owned device. Already today there is a hot spot. It was sitting on my desk - the only possible thing that could have landed on it would have been a fly. We have two Simple Touches (without Glow Light) in the home that have been problem free. I hate how quickly the hot spots appear, but I do love the light. At this point, I just wish they could work out whatever the issue is that causes at least some of these Glow Lights to fail so easily. I do use a cover. My advice would be to buy the extended protection plan if you buy it. The man on the phone tonight basically told me they'll just keep sending replacements for the next 2 years. Great, but I hate that I lose my wish list each time.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #59
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I have had mine since May, am using it every day, and it is still in pristine condition. No hotspot at all.
It is all the time in a cover, but we have a lively household with kids using it too. Just to say that some people like me never had problems, some others keep having to return them...
Old 08-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #60
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I have had mine since May, am using it every day, and it is still in pristine condition. No hotspot at all.
It is all the time in a cover, but we have a lively household with kids using it too. Just to say that some people like me never had problems, some others keep having to return them...
Ditto, mine has been fine since my wife got it for me in June.

Maybe just quality control issues on a tricky manufacturing process.
Closed Thread