Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
altzone
altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.altzone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
My Kindle 3 Teardown Video

My Kindle 3 Teardown video for those interested to see inside their Kindle:

Regards
Dave.
altzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
drnos
drnos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Loved it! Thanks for posting it here. Now I don't have to pry the case apart just to satisfy my curiosity; and when I do need to get at the battery or something, I will have a better idea of what it takes to get the case apart.
drnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Great video Dave. Very interesting to see what's inside the box! Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Glad to see the LiPo battery is UL Recognized. It is as safe as it can be.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Tuba
Enthusiast
Tuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enoughTuba will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Great video. Will check out the others.
Note that the connector to the hinge is probably to power the light that is built into the Amazon K3 case.
Tuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
mcgrath
mcgrath began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Wow, nicely done! I really enjoyed your K3 review as well.
mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I watched the review and the two things I didn't like were the fact you can't do anything with the Kindle while it's charging with Win7. The second is that black out it does when you change pages.

I'm wondering if anyone has found that annoying are have you gotten used to it and don't even notice it anymore?

Based on the review, there are a lot of pluses to the Kindle. I will have to get used to the screen displaying a picture when it's off. I have never owned anything that does that.

Amazon missed a chance to play a prank on its customers. They could have put a scary image on the screen with the test BOO below it. First thing you see when you open the package.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I watched the review and the two things I didn't like were the fact you can't do anything with the Kindle while it's charging with Win7.
Eject it from the Computer explorer window and it will charge but still be usable. Section 8.1 in the manual.

Quote:
The second is that black out it does when you change pages.
All current eInk displays do that. You can't avoid it.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
I loved the teardown. Nice and clear and well-explained. Kudos!
The two connectors on the side seem to be the things powering the lighted cover.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
The two connectors on the side seem to be the things powering the lighted cover.
The bottom hole is also a 1.8V TTL serial port.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Eject it from the Computer explorer window and it will charge but still be usable. Section 8.1 in the manual.

All current eInk displays do that. You can't avoid it.
No, in the video review he does that and with win7 it is still not available to use. I believe it was mentioned that it works with XP.

This is my first eReader, so the blackout thing is new to me.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I have Win7 and I can eject it and it still works.

Also: yes the gign blakc is normal and the fastest on the market.
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
pen_sq
Enthusiast
pen_sq began at the beginning.

Device: none
It's not an accident that Amazon stuck the speakers in crooked. The Kindle's primary purpose is not to deliver e-books quickly into your lap, but to distribute a series of audio buoys for Amazon's own Owl Delivery Network. The tilt of the speakers matches the Owl's unique physiology, for maximum precision. The supposedly useless mike sends home the "whooo" of couriers-in-field for instant tracking.

Don't go attributing to science something that's easily explained as a wizard's work.
pen_sq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
No, in the video review he does that and with win7 it is still not available to use. I believe it was mentioned that it works with XP.
You need to eject from the Computer explorer window if you're using Vista/7 which Dave doesn't do in his review. On XP you eject from the Safely remove hardware window in your notification area. Section 8.1 in the Kindle manual. It works here on multiple Windows 7 machines and others have reported it works as well.

Last edited by Tiersten; 09-05-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
funny he had no idea what those "mystery ports" were on the side that are wired in...those are where the hinge connects and they provide power to the light in the Kindle brand case with the integrated reading light. It's an interesting concept. But time will tell if they are more rugged than those used in the original K2US as well as even the K2i...still it's fun they found a way to power the light w/o any dongles or separate battery.

It's funny how little the guy knows about the device itself, but I LOVE his enthusiasm for the works...definately an old-school hacker guy...love it!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teardown kindle 3 hack