Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
ksri99
ksri99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC
Better reading experience - remove cover

Dear MobileReaders,

I owned PRS700 for about more than a month now. I had been using it with the cover, the way it was shipped by Sony. Leaving aside all the contrast issues etc, which we cannot help, I found that its really cool and lot better experience if we use the reader without cover, while reading. I tried this after looking at the Kindle 2.0 ads, and never even thought about doing that before.

I enjoy my PRS700 a lot more removing the cover, which was very uncomfortable to read. The grip is lot better, and I find the reader very pretty this way.
ksri99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksri99 View Post
"...Leaving aside all the contrast issues etc, which we cannot help..."
Actually, if you read with florescent lighting or daylight, the contrast
'non-issue issue becomes irrelavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksri99 View Post
"...I found that its really cool and lot better experience if we use the reader without cover, while reading... The grip is lot better, and I find the reader very pretty this way..."
The reader itself has a smooth finished and can slip from your grasp.
The cover, on the other hand makes it easier to hold and avoid dropping
the unit. Further more, my reader would not still look new if I didn't used
the leatherette magnetic cover.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It depends on your preferences. I have a cloth cover that goes over my 505 standard cover which helps with slipping.

I also like to have it in its case so it doesn't get damaged.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I have preferred leaving it in its case (and having cases that I can use the reader in)-I wouldn't want to drop it...or thinking its in its case-put it in my briefcase or purse and then end up breaking it.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
ksri99
ksri99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC
I agree with all concerns and preferences. Its a personal choice. Just wanted to share my experience. I felt really good that way. When I'm done with reading, I put it back into the cover. I usually am very careful with my electronics. I don't usually even place my PDA mobile phone on the desk, without placing at least a paper napkin under it (believe me). I'm very scratch conscious person. That said, I still felt better holding the reader in hand without cover. Of course there is risk of dropping etc, and we need to be careful anyways.

Server - I agree, the contrast issues, which I hear a lot about in PRS700, had never been a big issue to me. Florescent, day-light, even in darker light, I could read a lot of times without switching on the front LED lights. Its definitely dull, but not as big an issue. May be if anyone is used to the PRS-505 or any other device, it is tough for them to digest. This is my first ebook reader and I love it.
ksri99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert