Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
cybook on vacation

Does anyone here have experience with using their cybook (or indeed another device with the same screen) in warm/hot weather conditions ?? What can we do & what shouldn't we do ? What about using a cybook on the beach ??

With hot weather conditions I mean e.g. the south of France during summer.

Thanks y'all
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Heat doesn't seem to have any effect on VizPlex screens, unlike the older 1st generation eInk screens which darkened in direct sunlight. I'd be wary of using a CyBook on the beach without some form of protection against sand and water - put it in a transparent plastic bag, perhaps?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
As with any other piece of electronics (and almost anything), I would avoid to leave it under direct sunlight, or inside a car in the sun. Also, the Cybook is black, so it will "absorb" more heat than other objects. The screen may not be damaged by heat, but the electronics or the battery may, and the plastic might melt!

I don't think there will be any problem using it to read, for a while, in the sun, but just keep it safe when you are not using it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
The owners manual indicates to avoid exposure to direct sunlight for long periods of time so I would use that as a guideline rather then my personal experience. I did use my Cybook for a week long beach vacation in the Caribbean and it worked great. It was 28C every day. The one day when we didn't have cloud breaks the Cybook held up better then I did as I transformed into a red puddle of sweat and suntan lotion but the Cybook kept working fine.

I believe that Zelda Pinwheel is going to setup a portable lisuse test facility in the south of France consisting of a beach lounger and parasol. Maybe she can test it for you.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Same here!

I have just returned form a 3 day escape to the beach, and used my Cybook, in direct sun reading for more then 2.5 hours each day without a problem (one of the days it was 30 degrees celsius).

So enjoy your Cybook in vacations without fear.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I did use my Cybook for a week long beach vacation in the Caribbean and it worked great. It was 28C every day. The one day when we didn't have cloud breaks the Cybook held up better then I did as I transformed into a red puddle of sweat and suntan lotion but the Cybook kept working fine.

I believe that Zelda Pinwheel is going to setup a portable lisuse test facility in the south of France consisting of a beach lounger and parasol. Maybe she can test it for you.
28°C huh ? Usually it's way hotter (sometimes unbearably so) in summer in the south of France.

I will keep a lookout for Zelda and her test facility when I'm there (but as usual I'll probably be too busy reading to really notice my surroundings ... )
Old 06-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is becoming my motto, but it is always worth repeating:

Keep it inside one or a double gallon sized Ziploc bag. Keeps sand and suds and surf away from delicate doodads. This works great, and you can set it inside a cooler, up near the top in the dry section so it is cool, but not frozen.

and

Take an extra ball cap for your device to wear. Put it into the cap and let the brim shade the device.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
WDecraene
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
This is becoming my motto, but it is always worth repeating:

Keep it inside one or a double gallon sized Ziploc bag. Keeps sand and suds and surf away from delicate doodads. This works great, and you can set it inside a cooler, up near the top in the dry section so it is cool, but not frozen.

and

Take an extra ball cap for your device to wear. Put it into the cap and let the brim shade the device.
OK, so then, how do you read ? Take a p-book with you ??
Old 06-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDecraene View Post
AH no.. I think she meant that you just read the CyBook while it is in the ziplock bag.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
No no, silly!

Keep it in the bag to make it safe while outdoors. Put it into the dry part of the cooler on a stack of something to keep it cool while you are not reading and instead are running/swimming/flying kites. Read it in the shade of the hat brim to make the screen more seeable, like it's a portable beach umbrella for your reader. (Is seeable a word?)

Where are you going, and what to you plan to do on vacation?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
WDecraene
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
AH no.. I think she meant that you just read the CyBook while it is in the ziplock bag.

BOb
They REALLY should invent an irony button
Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
They REALLY should invent an irony button
join me in petitioning for the :irony mark: to be added to the MR smileys.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
join me in petitioning for the :irony mark: to be added to the MR smileys.
Or at least a :toungeincheek:.

(That could be dirty.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
WDecraene
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
No no, silly!

Where are you going, and what to you plan to do on vacation?
Well, first we'll spend about a week in a remote corner of Bretagne (a province of France) just generally enjoying life. After that we drive over to the south of France for a week (just making sure we have some sun during our vacation because Bretagne isn't exactly known for it's good weather) in the Languedoc-Roussillon province where my family has a small vacation house and we end our vacation with a couple of days in Barcelona (by far my favorite city in the whole world)
Old 06-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
WDecraene
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Or at least a :toungeincheek:.

(That could be dirty.)

BOb
Once it has been invented, maybe the publishers could issue versions of the classics including smilies. Wouldn't that be something ???