Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #796
yolan
Connoisseur
yolan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & Kindle PW
fonts look thinner on PW?

Hello all

I just got a new PW. I also have a Sony PRS-605 with added custom fonts

With the Sony, I use a kind of semi-bold Caecilia (Caecilia 75) which I like because it is a tiny bit bolder than the regular Caecilia, improving the contrast and readability.

I loaded this font into my PW using the USE_ALT_FONTS method, but I found that it looks somewhat fainter or thinner on the PW, when comparing with the Sony at aproximately the same font size....

Did you notice if the PW displays fonts a bit fainter or thinner than maybe the K4 or other pearl screen readers?

Or maybe the problem is that it does not render the font correctly because it is a semi-bold... I managed to change the font family and set the subfamily to "regular" instead of "bold", but that didn't make any difference whatsoever.

Any hint? Is it something about the PW rendering fonts a bit thinner than other devices, or is it the font itself.. ?

I would appreciate any thought
yolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #797
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
It's because the PW has a higher resolution. Therefore the pixels are smaller, and fonts are a bit thinner becsuse of it. At least, I think that this is the reason for fonts looking thinner on the PW as compared to older readers.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-23-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #798
yolan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
It's because the PW has a higher resolution. Therefore the pixels are smaller, and fonts are a bit thinner becsuse of it. At least, I think that this is the reason for fonts looking thinner on the PW as compared to older readers.
Thanks, Katsunami

That's what I first thougt too, but I'm not sure about it. I can't see the pixels on the Sony or the PW, so they must be really tiny and should not make such a big difference.

I also wanted to check if anyone else noticed the fonts looking thinner or maybe it was me, or my PW.. or this specific font I'm using

So, you also noticed it? Can't compare the other ones, but with this specific font the difference is quite noticeable
Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #799
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've noticed that the same font used on the KPW is a little bit thinner than it is when used on the KTouch. The first has a 758x1024 resolution, the second has 600x800.

If using fonts that are optimized for computer screens which often have very low DPI's compared to e-readers (often below 100 DPI), then they are VERY thin on the Kindles. The Touch has 167 DPI, the KPW has 212 DPI. I expect those fonts to be even thinner still, on the Kobo Aura HD, which has 265 DPI. (It's not for nothing that Kobo has a slider to adjust font weights, but I do not know if this works for custom fonts. I expect that it doesn't, and only works for the built-in ones.)
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #800
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
(It's not for nothing that Kobo has a slider to adjust font weights, but I do not know if this works for custom fonts. I expect that it doesn't, and only works for the built-in ones.)
You are correct.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #801
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

YAY! What did I win?!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #802
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A free romance ebook! 2 just got posted in the freebies forum!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #803
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Romance! WAK! *Goes into Berserk mode*

The one who has decided that "Vampires" and especially "Vampire Romances" can be filed under "Fantasy" should be SHOT. There are so many that I can't even find the Fantasy books in the Fantasy section of some stores Romances seems to be everywhere now, even in the genres that traditionally had none.

But that's for another topic... (<- And that one can go into the Ellipsis topic.)
Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #804
yolan
Connoisseur

Thanks for the answers...
I also asked St.Google and found some articles stating the fact that the fonts look thinner on the PW because of the HD screen.

Then I should not worry, just try to find an even bolder font if I want to try to match the font thickness displayed on the Sony... What can I say, the bolder font doesn't look too pretty but I got used to it and now the PW text looks too faint for me.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #805
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The one who has decided that "Vampires" and especially "Vampire Romances" can be filed under "Fantasy" should be SHOT.
ROFL....same with Urban Fantasy....so many get listed under romance, and then I get disappointed when they are not romance. I do read UF but I don't want to go into it thinking it's romance!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #806
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Romance! WAK! *Goes into Berserk mode*

The one who has decided that "Vampires" and especially "Vampire Romances" can be filed under "Fantasy" should be SHOT. There are so many that I can't even find the Fantasy books in the Fantasy section of some stores Romances seems to be everywhere now, even in the genres that traditionally had none.

But that's for another topic... (<- And that one can go into the Ellipsis topic.)
I agree. I wish people would put books under the correct genre. Daily I go through the Kindle Slushpile and you would not believe how many books in Romance have nothing to do with Romance so it goes both ways.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #807
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think the only way they can be really accurate with genre is to have the writers follow the "genre rules" more closely, and I'd sure hate to see that happen.

I'm not much of a fan of genre, either the genres themselves or the concept of genre. I'm 72 and when I was younger, probably till about 1985 or so, bookstores had sections for fiction and non-fiction. The only thing in fiction that was segregated was science fiction; usually kept in an obscure part of the store so decent people didn't have to be exposed to it.

In the fiction section nearly all book stores shelved everything alphabetically by the author's last name. Mainstream (not a known concept then), mysteries, fantasy novels, romance, westerns, etc, were all mixed in the same shelves together. Well, there were a few stores that had shelves for westerns but most didn't.

Genre is a marketing thing. I really hate that readers have bought into it.

I read novels. I don't care for most romance novels although I have read a few to find out what was there. I'm not bothered by the kinds of stories they are but the gimmicky writing does bother me. I enjoy an occasional western and probably about 1/4 of the books I read are mysteries. I don't care for thrillers but I read a few.

I wish books could just be books again. I'm bothered by the idea that authors feel a need to fit their books into a predefined structure. Not all, of course, but many do.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #808
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I find is that publishers pick fonts for eBooks and look at them on screen. They look fine on an LCD screen, but too thin for eInk so we get stuck with fonts that aren't all that good.

Charis SIL unmodified is not that bad and that is the most used font in eBooks when a font is embedded. But it's the eBooks that have fonts embedded that are supposed to be the same font as used in the pBook that we get these issues.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #809
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

I wonder why publishers embed a free font such as Charis. I can understand embedding the one that was used in the paper book, but when using some free font, there's no difference between Charis or any other. On some readers, it just prevents people from using their preferred font, which is just plain stupid.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #810
yolan
Connoisseur

Hey guys.
I have a question
I like how the semi-bold fonts look on the reader, but when I use them as the "regular" font style, then the Kindle has problems when it has to display a text in bold style... both regular and bold text look the same.

I guess it uses the semi-bold both as regular and bold, even if I also have a bolder version of the font which I would like to use, this one seems to be ignored and the regular (semi-bold in fact) one is used.

Is there any way to avoid this?
Thanks!

PS: This is the file I'm using for testing the rendering of the different styles and of some special characters when testing new fonts. It may be of some use to other users (UPDATED)
Attached Files
File Type: mobi TEST - Desconocido.mobi (9.5 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by yolan; 05-25-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: updated test file