Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
timecheck00
timecheck00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle K3 (keyboard) losing chapter head spacing.

I'm building a mobi file using Kindle Previewer. Each chapter has an <h1>:
h1 {
margin-top:2.0in;
margin-right:0in;
margin-left:0in;
text-align:right;
page-break-after:avoid;
font-size:large;
font-weight:bold;
I load the resulting mobi file onto my K3.
My toc.ncx works fine and I can right click the controller to go thru all chapers and the 2 in spacing shows at the top of my K3. If I backspace a few pages and single page forward, the 2 inch spacing at the top is lost.

Any suggestions?

thanks.
timecheck00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Maybe a missing manual pagebreak just before the chapter starts?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
timecheck00

No, this is a typical chapter break:
<p class="imagelegend">Santiago’s 72-foot Virgin Mary</p>
<mbpagebreak />
<p><a name=toc_marker-5></a><a name=P17></a></p>
<h1>2 • Santiago: Chile’s Gateway City to Patagonia</h1>
<h5 class="journaltitlechap">Journal</h5>

I originally used id= instead of the old anchor format, but both give the same result. Going directly to the chapter from the toc gives proper spacing. Then paging forward a couple pages and back to the chapter break still works, but paging back and then forward loses the spacing. Also clicking thru the chapters with the 5 way controller gives the proper spacing.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Maybe use Amazons way of fixing rendering issues on some files (just in case) and see if it helps:

This is from Kindle support after asking about a book that does not render right (font spacing problem) adjust instruction to your favourite way of loading book to Kindle.
Quote:

Hello,

I'm sorry you've had problems viewing [enter boo ] on your Kindle. Sometimes deleting the title from your device and downloading it again will resolve the problem. Here’s how:

Before you begin, turn Annotations Backup on to save any notes you made in your item:

1. From the Home screen, select Menu and select Settings.
2. Navigate to Annotations Backup and select turn on.

Step 1: Delete the item from your device

1. From the Home screen, tap and hold the item.
2. Tap Remove from Device.

Step 2: Restart your Kindle

1. From the Home screen, select Menu, then Settings.
2. Select Menu again, and then select Restart.

When your Kindle restarts, go to Archived Items (or the Cloud tab on Kindle Paperwhite) and tap the item to try and download it again.
good luck, can't really help any more - other than you maybe trying to create a epub, and then converting to mobi with calibre or kindlegen.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
timecheck00

Thanks for your suggestions, DT. I reload kindle k3 with mobi file created by kindlegen via kindle previewer for each test. I'm going to put this off for a while and do the rest of the book, then get back to it. I do have a theory. One chapter works fine. What is different about that is that all the other chapters have an image immediately preceding the chapter break. The book I check against which is working was created with mobipocket creator. It also has images preceding the chapters, but those images are about 1/3 the size of the current book and are sized exactly for the k3. I'm thinking the extra memory needed to process those large images is throwing off my k3. No need to reply. I'll post an update once I get back to it.
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
timecheck00

I've adjusted all my images to proper size, and still have problem, so that wasn't solution.

Tags
k3 keyboard, page breaks, spacing, top margin