Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
_savage
Connoisseur
_savage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Stretch Cover Image, Internal links

Hi,

I've used Calibre to generate a .pdf from my .epub file. Two things I have noticed.

- When I add a margin on 72pt to the .pdf so that the book has a (nice-ish) border, then this applies to the cover image as well. That means the first page of the .pdf has its cover image inside of that 72pt text box as well, which looks pretty ugly. Can I disable the border for the cover page, or stretch the image across the whole page?

- Internal links seem to be unsupported still. Either they should be printed in blue and then supported properly, or if they're not supported they shouldn't be printed in blue. How responsive are the devs, or is Calibre OSS?

Also, can I affect the font that's used for the .pdf without touching the original .epub?

Cheers!
_savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
(1) Not something I care about. Patches are welcome.

(2) There is no support for links or a ToC. And IMO changing the color of the links because they are not clickable is a bad idea. It will lead to far more noise than having non clickable links.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On second thoughts: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...revision/12715
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
_savage
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
(1) Not something I care about. Patches are welcome.
I would assume that users care about this problem (I do), and as such users would appreciate if the maintainer(s) would care as well. It seems that your second post, the change to the Python script, takes care of the margins? Will that get invoked by Calibre automatically, or do I need to do anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
(2) There is no support for links or a ToC. And IMO changing the color of the links because they are not clickable is a bad idea. It will lead to far more noise than having non clickable links.
If there is no support for links, then why are <a> tags printed in blue, which in a .pdf indicates a clickable link? If it's not clickable, then it's not a link, is it, and it shouldn't be blue?

Cheers
Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
_savage
Connoisseur

Uhm.. Internal links are now supported? The generated .pdf now does bounce around pages if blue links are clicked. When did that happen?

Last edited by _savage; 07-18-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
_savage
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by _savage View Post
Uhm.. Internal links are now supported? The generated .pdf now does bounce around pages if blue links are clicked. When did that happen?
I take that back, they are not working. Just blue text pretending to be a link, not being a link. Strangely, though, the .pdf's links do work when rendered in Safari's internal viewer; Adobe Reader doesn't work.

That's a bug in my book, and one that's quite annoying and misleading.

Last edited by _savage; 07-19-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by _savage View Post
I take that back, they are not working. Just blue text pretending to be a link, not being a link.

That's a bug in my book, and one that's quite annoying and misleading.
Code:
h3 {color: blue; }
Now all H3 tags are blue... How is that a bug?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
_savage
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
h3 {color: blue; }
Now all H3 tags are blue... How is that a bug?
Where did you get that from? I certainly did nowhere in the original .epub change any color, least of all for headings.

EDIT: I see what may have happened here. When I said "that's a bug in my book" then I did not refer to my .epub book itself; I used the saying "in my book" to mean "that's a bug in my opinion/understanding".

Last edited by _savage; 07-21-2012 at 02:35 AM.