Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Yet another "what's good for pdf" thread

I had a relative ask me which reader to buy. It will be her first.
She will mostly read pdf, and she is going to need to take notes, highlight, and save parts of the text in an editable file if possible. Ability to support different languages, and Greek specifically, is desirable, so the sonys are probably out.

I suspect she's going to need a big screen reader to be happy with the pdfs, or maybe even an ipad or other tablet.

I've heard android tablets don't support pdf note-taking and highlighting yet, so I was thinking of recommending either kindle dx, pocketbook 902/3 or even an ipad (I'm not sure if she needs the screen to be e-ink or not, but she will mainly use the device for reading, so the ipad is probably overkill).

Any suggestions?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
featheredfarmer
featheredfarmer can extract oil from cheesefeatheredfarmer can extract oil from cheesefeatheredfarmer can extract oil from cheesefeatheredfarmer can extract oil from cheesefeatheredfarmer can extract oil from cheesefeatheredfarmer can extract oil from cheesefeatheredfarmer can extract oil from cheesefeatheredfarmer can extract oil from cheesefeatheredfarmer can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I would also be interested in the replies to omk3. Thanks.
featheredfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post

I suspect she's going to need a big screen reader to be happy with the pdfs, or maybe even an ipad or other tablet.

Any suggestions?
I've seen the Kindle DX PDF display, and its wonderful for pdf's.....a little on the expensive side, but if you compare the DX with the K3 or any other smaller screen, the difference is incredible.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Thanks, desertgrandma. I'm sure that only a big screen can do some pdfs justice, and the pearl screen is especially nice and clear. But the question is, does the DX let you highlight, annotate, take notes with pdfs? I'm afraid that I read on the amazon site that this feature is -inexplicably- not yet available for the DX, though it is possible on the K3.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote