Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Chelley
Chelley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Text to speech

Does anyone here care about text to speech mode, either for the mainstream players (kindle) or those made for people with low vision( Victor Reader Stream). Note that Kindle allows individual publishers to decide if they want to offer the text to speech option.

Thanks!
Chelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley View Post
Does anyone here care about text to speech mode, either for the mainstream players (kindle) or those made for people with low vision( Victor Reader Stream). Note that Kindle allows individual publishers to decide if they want to offer the text to speech option.

Thanks!
Welcome to MobileRead, Chelley.

Personally, I don't care.......but then again, I don't care for the new version. BUT thats just me!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I don't care too much about the text to speech. In my opinion it's of limited utility. I find that the computer voice is sometimes hard to understand because it uses odd cadences. Also, sometimes the results are silly. I was listening to a mystery novel in the car, and at one point a character says, "and then I called 911." Text to speech rendered it as "and then I called nine hundred and eleven." No one says that!

If one wants to listen to a book, one is much better off with a good audible book performance by a real actor or reader, in my opinion. For folks with vision difficulties but who can still see somewhat, I think would get better mileage out of increasing the font size.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nope its nothing I'm interested in
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Chelley and welcome to MobileRead. I agree with KindleDude
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley View Post

Thanks!
I don't personally have a need for TTS (at this time, who knows about the furture) but I like that it has been included in K2. I spend a great deal of time on the Amazon Forums and have seen numerous requests for this feature for folks with low vision problems and those with dyslexia who want to read and listen at the same time. I think it's more important that the TTS works on personal documents (as others have said an audiobook is much better to listen to than a TTS book).

I really like how Amazon is trying to bring accessibility to ebooks to more people.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote