Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 01-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #16
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
As far as I can tell, Marvin development has ground to a halt.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #17
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Oh No!!! I wonder what happened!! Does anyone know?
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
All Apple apps have to be 64-bit by the end of February. I suspect he's working on that.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #19
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even ones that are strictly for the iPhone? I didn't think that the iPhone was 64 bit but then.... you never know!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
From Developer.Apple.Com:
64-bit and iOS 8 Requirements for App Updates
December 17, 2014
"As we announced in October, beginning on February 1, 2015 new iOS apps submitted to the App Store must include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK. Beginning June 1, 2015 app updates will also need to follow the same requirements."
Link Here

Also, Kris is quite busy working on the Gerty reader.
Link Here
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:07 AM   #21
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Kris has stated on his Twitter feed that he will be releasing a 64-bit version "soon" due to the App Store requirements. He's also indicated that that will be the only real change to Marvin for that release.

He has mostly moved his development efforts to Gerty (his journaling, scrolling reader) and his new email project. He has "plans" for Marvin 3.0 but has basically said it's not under development and he has no time frame on when he'll even start.

He will respond on Twitter but has abandoned this forum. The iOS Reader App connection to Calibre should also be considered dead - the library (despite ShellShock's yeoman efforts) has issues and Philantrop was more of a maintainer of the plugin than a hard-core developer (the original developer abandoned it over a year ago).

Accept the fact that Marvin is what it will be for a while (stuck badge and all) and that if you want to connect to Calibre to do it via its OPDS feed and you'll be happier. Marvin is still a great reading app, minor warts and all.

If people are still using Stanza, I think we can use Marvin for a few more years.
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #22
Shykat
Groupie

I'm happy with Marvin but did peek at Gerty. Is it supposed to be better than Marvin? I really have no need for journal entries related to my books. I did see a screen shot where the number of books was listed.

Just trying to figure out what is so special with Gerty when most readers want an excellent ereader program... and that's what we had with Marvin and the support we were getting.

I'll just have to stick with the stuck numbers as Mavin has been working excellently for me and I'm a voracious reader reading over 300 books a year.

Thank you for replying as I was wondering why this forum was so dead after being extremely active.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #23
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
I'm a voracious reader reading over 300 books a year.
WOW! I have a VERY good year when I can hit 100 books!

Gerty offers many features like journals, photos, and maps that I probably would never use. I do highlight and write notes in books that have many characters to remember, but Marvin already handles this well.

Another feature difference in Gerty is that it is a vertically scrolling reader. Some people prefer that to the "page turns" in Marvin and many other eReaders.

IMHO, Marvin is absolutely the best program for reading epub's.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #24
Shykat
Groupie

I agree about Marvin.

I read wherever I am... waiting in an office, waiting in line for something, lunch, dinner, I've even been known to read during the advertisements if I'm watching TV, and er.... the bathroom, too.

I'm thinking that Gerty might have things that I don't need/use. Don't think I would need a journal while reading a book, I don't know about the need of maps when reading a book... shrug. I've tried scrolling and my eyes didn't like it.

Marvin definitely works well for me. I just don't want to have support decreased or stopped.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #25
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I love Marvin, and would hate to see support and updates disappear. Gerty's features just don't apply to my reading style and preferences.

Quote:
I'm thinking that Gerty might have things that I don't need/use. Don't think I would need a journal while reading a book, I don't know about the need of maps when reading a book... shrug. I've tried scrolling and my eyes didn't like it.

Marvin definitely works well for me. I just don't want to have support decreased or stopped.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:13 PM   #26
vs40
vs40 is on a distinguished road

Device: KPW 11 JB
Ohhh... bad news
I hope Kris will continue to developing this awesome project!
vs40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #27
Shykat
Groupie

What address or whatever it's called in Twitter should I follow for updates?

I admit to having downloaded Gerty to look at it and I might give it a try to see if it works for me in any way. If it doesn't, Marvin currently meets my reading needs.

Is there a new forum here pertaining to Gerty or has Kris totally left MobileRead?
Old 02-10-2015, 01:38 AM   #28
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
What address or whatever it's called in Twitter should I follow for updates?

I admit to having downloaded Gerty to look at it and I might give it a try to see if it works for me in any way. If it doesn't, Marvin currently meets my reading needs.

Is there a new forum here pertaining to Gerty or has Kris totally left MobileRead?
I'd hesitate to call them updates but Kris occasionally posts/responds to @marvinreader on Twitter. Kris still seems to come back here when he releases a new version (and he will have to release a 64-bit version of Marvin in the next few months) - you can always try to hijack that thread to get a question answered.
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #29
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
As far as the IOS reader plugin is concerned, the potential breaking point could be if and when Apple release a new version of IOS that changes the comms protocol. This happened with IOS 8, and took a while to fix. There is no guarantee that we would be able to fix things again if the protocol was to change again. There other, relatively minor, problems with the plugin, but the dependency on the stability of the Apple protocol is the weakest point.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote