Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
zqavmf03592
zqavmf03592 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 1st gen
Should I upgrade firmware of KPW1?

I have a kpw1 running 5.3.0 and I found the newest version available is 5.6.1.1
I know if I upgrade it to 5.6.1.1 before jailbreak, I'll never be able to downgrade or jailbreak it again unless I use the serial port method.
What if I jailbreak it before upgrading? I found some posts saying jailbroken kpw1 can be downgraded. But I can not find the detailed steps for kwp1.
Anyway, what's new in 5.6.1.1? Is it worthy to upgrade to it?
And is it possible to install another systems such as duokan?

Last edited by zqavmf03592; 07-22-2015 at 07:45 PM.
zqavmf03592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Jailbroken devices can be downgraded using the diags boot partition and judicious use of `dd`. So it's *possible*, it's just a pain and if you accidentally type the wrong device you can brick your Kindle.

For example, the instructions on reverting the PW2 to fw5.4.0 -- http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Someone might trade a pre-5.6.x PW1 for a 5.6.x PW2 on the flea-market.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote