Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
zzaino
Enthusiast
zzaino began at the beginning.

Location: I live in the best town in the best region in the best country of the world: Lucca, Toscana, Italia.
Device: Kindle paperwhite
See information about the book

All the books in my Calibre library have many metadata such summary, plot, publication date and so on.
Can I see this information in my Kindle paperwhite?
Sometimes (I think when the book was purchased directly from Amazone), book information are available; in all other cases no!
I need jailbreak the kindle or these informations are not available anyway?
Thanks
zzaino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzaino View Post
All the books in my Calibre library have many metadata such summary, plot, publication date and so on.
Can I see this information in my Kindle paperwhite?
Sometimes (I think when the book was purchased directly from Amazone), book information are available; in all other cases no!
I need jailbreak the kindle or these informations are not available anyway?
Thanks
You can insert a jacket in your books in Calibre, with all the metadata you want.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Go to "Edit Metadata" and change whatever you want. You can download the blurb for most books and change the cover.

When you convert the book, click "Structure Detection" in the right panel of the conversion box. Then click on "Insert metadata as page at start of book" click okay and convert. The resulting book should have a page of blurb just after the cover.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:38 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Good advice from Sirtel and Bookcat to a good question.
I have never considered to insert my metadata in the front of the book.

When the metadata is as you want it then you should use the Calibre's Polish feature.
One of the options in Polish is to insert a Metadata jacket in the start of the book.
Polishing will/can also update the cover picture. You don't have to convert the books in order to insert a metadata jacket.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
zzaino
Enthusiast

Location: I live in the best town in the best region in the best country of the world: Lucca, Toscana, Italia.
Great!!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to elaborate a little on this.

When I buy a Danish ebook it is a watermarked epub, I then edit the metadata so they are to my liking. The book is then polished and I have the metadata as the first page in the book.

If I decide to read the book on my Kindle then I use the auto convert feature when I sideload the book. But here I don't get the metadata as the first page in the book.

You should then go to Calibre's Preferences->Common options->Structure Detection and set "Insert Metadata as start of book" as described by BookCat. It will now be the default when a book is converted. Also if it is autoconverted via a sideload.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:43 AM   #7
zzaino
Enthusiast

When I use the Calibre's polish feature "update cover", the original book cover is lost.
Can I simply add a new cover without losing the original?
I'd like the new and the original cover appears in my kindle when I load the books.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:51 AM   #8
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
When I use the Calibre's polish feature "update cover", the original book cover is lost.
Can I simply add a new cover without losing the original?
I'd like the new and the original cover appears in my kindle when I load the books.
I don't think it is possible to have 2 covers in a book. Try to ask in the Calibre forum.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
zzaino
Enthusiast

And...
do you know if I can chose the metadata to insert into the "Jacket" ?
In my library I have some metadata such tag, editor, pubdate and so on; i'd like to have a jacket with only metadata I chose.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
And...
do you know if I can chose the metadata to insert into the "Jacket" ?
In my library I have some metadata such tag, editor, pubdate and so on; i'd like to have a jacket with only metadata I chose.
You have to edit the jacket template. Program Files -> Calibre2 ->app -> resources -> jacket (this is on Windows). Make a backup of the template file first, just in case.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #11
zzaino
Enthusiast

Great !
Thanks