Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 AM   #61
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
technically, some of these solutions could be described as fraudulent .... (now - which one works !!!)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think, Geoff, that although FictionWise have to impose these geographical restrictions, they've deliberately left the system as "open" as they can. As far as their system is concerned, if you tell it that you're in the USA, and they have nothing on their system (such as a credit card) which indicates otherwise, then you are in the USA as far as they are concerned, and they'll happily sell you the books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #63
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Told IT I'm in the US, and using Paypal with a bank account - and the transaction continues to be refused. Problem is Paypal also has my address.....
Old 05-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #64
GeoffC

Damnable restriction, and the books I want in WHSmith are only available as adobe pdf & adobe ePub.....
Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #65
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If you could buy other books and then get the ones you want with micropay, I think changing your country in your profile should work, it worked for me, at least.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #66
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
They also take account of the country in your Paypal account if you use Paypal. If I pay with my usual paypal account, I hit geographic restrictions. If I pay with the account I created at paypal.com, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think, Geoff, that although FictionWise have to impose these geographical restrictions, they've deliberately left the system as "open" as they can. As far as their system is concerned, if you tell it that you're in the USA, and they have nothing on their system (such as a credit card) which indicates otherwise, then you are in the USA as far as they are concerned, and they'll happily sell you the books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 AM   #67
GeoffC

I've changed my country in my profile, to Ak in US.
I have no credit card registered with Fictionwise.
A direct credit card transaction fails, 'cause my profile address doesn't tally with my credit card address, then there is the grographical restriction.
A Paypal transaction fails, either by one of two credit cards, ot my nominated bank account.
If Fictionwise reckon that 10% of their books are affected, and I've chosen 8 books - all of which are restricted, then I suspect their 10% is a little on the conservative side.

I could buy all via micropay, but that means I negate the benefit of both club membership and also opportunity to gain micropay discounts....
Old 05-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #68
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
They also take account of the country in your Paypal account if you use Paypal. If I pay with my usual paypal account, I hit geographic restrictions. If I pay with the account I created at paypal.com, I don't.

run that one passed me, again .... usual paypal account, and a 'created' account.
isn't an address required for a paypal account ? - or am I missing the obvious (as usual)
Old 05-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, my usual account is a paypal.co.uk account, with a uk address, bank account, credit card. But the problem is that PayPal knows I'm in the UK, and apparently tells Fictionwise.

Hmm.. I suppose this might be passed in the delivery address...

Oh, how foolish. Yes that's it. I didn't need to bother with a new Paypal account at all, I just needed to change the delivery address to a US address.

So there's your answer - add a US delivery address to your Paypal account address book, and use that address when ordering from Fcitionwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
run that one passed me, again .... usual paypal account, and a 'created' account.
isn't an address required for a paypal account ? - or am I missing the obvious (as usual)
Old 05-28-2009, 05:31 AM   #70
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Try using your normal cc but change your billing address to somewhere in the US. I was also unsure it wouldn't be accepted, but it worked like a charm (and I assume they're able to bill my cc as well).
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:32 AM   #71
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
OK, my usual account is a paypal.co.uk account, with a uk address, bank account, credit card. But the problem is that PayPal knows I'm in the UK, and apparently tells Fictionwise.

Hmm.. I suppose this might be passed in the delivery address...

Oh, how foolish. Yes that's it. I didn't need to bother with a new Paypal account at all, I just needed to change the delivery address to a US address.

So there's your answer - add a US delivery address to your Paypal account address book, and use that address when ordering from Fcitionwise.

I've been trying that dodge, but couldn't find the post code of 1 Capitol Hill.....
Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #72
GeoffC

My Paypal profile will not allow me to add a non-UK address ..... either as myself, nor as a 'gift'...........
Old 05-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #73
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I've been trying that dodge, but couldn't find the post code of 1 Capitol Hill.....
Capitol Building,
Washington,
DC 20515
USA

or you could use

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500
USA
Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #74
GeoffC

I seem unable to add a non-UK address......the drop-down box does not allow me to make any other choice.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think that FW should just give you the book, Geoff - they can't have many customers as dedicated as you!

Have you looked to see if it's available at BoB?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote