Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
where is indexing stored

where does the kindle 3 store its indexing & is it possible to re-index books somehow before copying to device.

I thought maybe this stuff was in the .mbp files but apparently not, after googling that format ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
\system\Search Indexes\Index.db

system is hidden so you have to have set up to see hidden folders in browser.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozicka View Post

system is hidden so you have to have set up to see hidden folders in browser.
ok thanks - so it's "one index to rule them all", not one per book.

i guess that means that K must de-index books when they are deleted from device ?

So what happens if I mess with files & folders via the PC USB interface i.e. move, copy, rename , delete... via Windows. Does that mess up the master index or does K check & repair as needed when ejected ?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozicka View Post

Unfortunately it's not a SQLite database .
That would have been nice.

Last edited by AthenaAtDelphi; 10-06-2010 at 05:36 AM.
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
ok thanks - so it's "one index to rule them all", not one per book.

i guess that means that K must de-index books when they are deleted from device ?

So what happens if I mess with files & folders via the PC USB interface i.e. move, copy, rename , delete... via Windows. Does that mess up the master index or does K check & repair as needed when ejected ?
Well, it is something like both, I can see a db, which is increasing during indexing, and also new files per book are there. the names of the files are just like a code: 8a9dfkahgkahjei877a43 etc

By the way, I left indexing my ebooks during day - it indexed around 300 files and after that it has got stacked, rebooted - and started from beginning... So I gave up indexing and marked "read only" flag on index.db

Last edited by jozicka; 10-06-2010 at 07:00 AM.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
"So I gave up indexing and marked "read only" flag on index.db"

I am not a very technical person. Can you tell me a simple way to un-enable indexing? I plan to load many books on my Kindle 3 but I do not want them indexed.
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceboy View Post
"So I gave up indexing and marked "read only" flag on index.db"

I am not a very technical person. Can you tell me a simple way to un-enable indexing? I plan to load many books on my Kindle 3 but I do not want them indexed.
I don't believe there is anyway to disable indexing on the Kindle, but if there is, someone here is sure to chime in.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's a couple of private commands that seems to control the indexing process. (cf ~help).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
I believe azw or w/e files have index built in, is this correct?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
most books on my Kindle are drm-free .mobi - yet they are all indexed ( in that the search function always works) . So I don't think the indexes can be in the book files
Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@curstpriest: Nope, the search index is built at run time on the device.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Is there any way to 'force' indexing on the K3? I loaded a shipload of books (around 450) and then the indexing began, and went on, and on, and on.... My battery took quite a beating (yeah, I know, I should have plugged it in as recommended elsewhere in the forum).

But now a couple of days on, if I type '.' at the Home screen as recommended so usefully elsewhere here, the 'items still to be indexed' seems stuck at 7. What happens now?

Last edited by terencek; 10-20-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Correction
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
Is there any way to 'force' indexing on the K3? I loaded a shipload of books (around 450) and then the indexing began, and went on, and on, and on.... My battery took quite a beating (yeah, I know, I should have plugged it in as recommended elsewhere in the forum).

But now a couple of days on, if I type '.' at the Home screen as recommended so usefully elsewhere here, the 'items still to be indexed' seems stuck at 7. What happens now?
Here's some info about what to do if your indexing gets "stuck" -
Quote:
...if a book or books are still indexing it will display “X items indexing”, select that and it will display which book, or books, are still being indexed. Wait until all books are indexed before leaving your Kindle off charge. If you have a book that is stuck indexing (my 60 books took about a day to index all of them) then go back to the home page, select the “stuck” book, delete it and then re-download it.
It is from this article about the Kindle 3 and battery use/drain: http://ozaz.org/2010/09/30/kindle-3-tips-battery/

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Only dictionaries have built-in indexing. A normal book doesn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Then why are all the amazon books 2x the size of normal .mobi books?
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote