Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
These are my must read authors.

George R R Martin
Stephen R Donaldson
Stephen King
Peter F. Hamilton
Robin Hobb
Michael Crichton
Lois McMaster Bujold
Neil Gaiman
Cormac Mccarthy
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
Kristinaj7
Kristinaj7 began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
I am quite new to this forum and still have not figured out how to put books on my device, and I am so not computer savy. However, I figured I could still participate in this discussion. Some of the books I read are an aquired taste.....

James Patterson
Patricia Cornwell
Stephen King
John Saul
Dan Brown
Jonathon Kellerman
John Grisham
Iris Johansen
Jefferson Blass
Dean Koontz

Now if I could just find a site w/ some of these authors, in a format that can be read on my Q7. Or
maybe an ereader program that would work on it.
Kristinaj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #18
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
In no particular order:

Robertson Davies
A. S. Byatt
Jasper Fforde
Judith Merkle Riley
David Lodge
Sarah Waters
J. R. R. Tolkien
Christopher Isherwood
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #19
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
Elizabeth Peters
lynsay Sands
Kerrelyn Sparks
lynn Kurland
J R Ward
Sherrilyn Kenyon

Hmm maybe I should look into something a bit more heavy weight

Diana Gabaldon
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm, well I guess first I'd say that not all of most authors output is "must read" (for example the latest Pat Conroy I think is awful! but love much of his other work) and certainly my list changes over time. For now, in semi-sortof-maybe order...

John Irving
E.L. Doctorow
Cormac McCarthy
Ray Bradury
Margaret Atwood
Samuel R Delany
Isaac Asimov
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Ernest Hemingway
Charles Dickens
John Steinbeck
William Faulkner
Edgar Allen Poe
Robert Heinlein
Arthur C Clark
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne80 View Post
Hmm maybe I should look into something a bit more heavy weight

Diana Gabaldon
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #22
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmm, well I guess first I'd say that not all of most authors output is "must read" (for example the latest Pat Conroy I think is awful! but love much of his other work) and certainly my list changes over time. For now, in semi-sortof-maybe order...

I took it to mean authors where, if they publish something new, I'd most likely want to read it, and authors where I've read all, or almost all, of their work.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I took it to mean authors where, if they publish something new, I'd most likely want to read it, and authors where I've read all, or almost all, of their work.
I know, the topic is more or less tilted towards current living authors, but the are also many historical authors that many have not read either.

Given that slant as I indicated I bought the latest Pat Conroy novel - South of Broad, but couldn't get past the first few chapters.

So my list was put together as you indicate. Those authors I've read and enjoyed and if they released a new book or I discovered one, I'd have to "check it out"
Old 01-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
John Steinbeck
Ray Bradbury
Raymond Chandler
Emily Dickinson
Dorothy Parker
Shirley Jackson
Haruki Murakami
Banana Yoshimoto
Richard Matheson
Leigh Brackett (her crime stuff, not a fan of sci-fi/fantasy)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #25
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Ditto on Patricia Cornwell & Anne McCaffrey.
Steven Saylor
Isaac Azimov
Terry Brooks
I'm sure there are several additional that I'll think of later.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #26
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
In accordance with previous posters, the following are my "I must at least take a look at" authors (in no specific order):

- Isaac Asimov
- Geoff Johns
- Mark Waid
- Keith Giffen/J. M. Dematties/Kevin McGuire (when working together as a creative team)
- Rumiko Takahashi
- Charles Dickens
- Robert Asprin
- Tom Reynolds
- Lemony Snicket
- Greg Cox
- Jack McKinney
- The Joker's Wild Series (various authors)

In addition, the following are authors that I'm interested in reading in the future (but haven't read anything by them yet):

- Stephanie Meyers (but not any of the Twilight novels)
- Stephen King
- Terry Pratchet
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #27
Margrete
Connoisseur
Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.

Device: pixelar ebookreader (Hanlin V3)
Authors on my must buy list in no particular order

Anne Bishop
Joey W. Hill (vampire series, Mermaid and angels series)
Christine Feehan (carpathian series)
Sherrilyn Kenyon (dark hunter series)
Jim Butcher
Clive Cussler (dirk Pitt series)
Yasmine Galenorn
Traci Harding
J.D.Robb
Patricia Briggs
Michelle Sagara (elantra/cast in series)
Margrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #28
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I love Colleen McCullough - she's an Australian writer (sort of), but her books are no longer available to the Australian audience.. I checked an Australian e-book site, and they have her books, but geo restricted to the US.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I love Colleen McCullough - she's an Australian writer (sort of), but her books are no longer available to the Australian audience.. I checked an Australian e-book site, and they have her books, but geo restricted to the US.
That is so dumb. The same issue with Margaret Atwood and Canada.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #30
Mr.Hughes
Mr.Hughes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & IPhone & Dell Mini 10v (running snow leopard))
for fantasy books, i love

raymond e. fiest
robert jordan
brandon sanderson (the mistborn trilogy is pretty good and hes taken over the wheel of time now robert jordan sadly passed away)
Mr.Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote