Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
There are a few apps that are not on Google Play and you need to sideload them. Not many, but still enough to where I would like to be able to get them on the device if I happen to get one.
So far I've seen no way to sideload directly. You've always been able to sideload via ADB though (not that that's ideal).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #47
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So far I've seen no way to sideload directly. You've always been able to sideload via ADB though (not that that's ideal).
If you're even contemplating the ADB route, enabling Unknown Sources by creating a bootable ClockworkMod Recovery card and running a script is probably going to be easier and require less troubleshooting than getting the necessary ADB elements installed and working properly. You can use the "extras" script from Leapinlar's thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

Personally, and as a somewhat advanced user, I don't find it necessary to sideload apps if I have Google Play. Freebies or no, I found Amazon's app store more trouble than it was worth on my last generation of Android devices. In general, you're better off just looking out for sales and/or spending that $1-7 on Google Play for timely updates and reduced fragmentation. Granted, apps do get distributed outside of established channels for a variety of legitimate reasons, including beta testing.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #48
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I had no problem updating the Nook HD.

I just need two things now - an app that allows Amazon Prime Videos to play on the Nook, and for Cablevision to get on the ball and add the Nook device to its Android app.
It does not work terribly well for AIV but Puffin browser has Flash built in and will play Flash video on most web sites (some work better than others). Worth having it just so you can at least try it.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #49
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I do not have Google Play Music looking through the list of apps. Anyone have it working?

I installed Nova Launcher just now and I see it there. Weird. Nova is working as far as I can tell, so I can avoid b&n launch too now. Oh baby.

Last edited by robertc88; 05-04-2013 at 07:06 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #50
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I do not have Google Play Music looking through the list of apps. Anyone have it working?

I installed Nova Launcher just now and I see it there. Weird. Nova is working as far as I can tell, so I can avoid b&n launch too now. Oh baby.
Well ... I tried Go Launcher. But if you switch profiles, your desktop icons disappear. In other words, does not retain profile settings, don't know why.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #51
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
This is great news for existing owners or people that were on the fence. I'm not convinced it'll help sales all that much. I also think having two stores will confuse a lot of users.
It's a weird move, for sure.

On the one hand, it's obvious that not having Google Play has really hurt the Nook. That's been a deal breaker for a LOT of people.

On the other, their e-content is the one area where they had some minor success, and all news articles pointed toward their focusing on content over devices now.

But with Google Play on there, people will use that more than the Nook store for just about everything. I don't know anyone who has a Samsung phone, for instance, and uses the Samsung store instead of Play. So it seems like while this makes the Nook more attractive, it also undercuts the one area where they were making a profit.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #52
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Well ... I tried Go Launcher. But if you switch profiles, your desktop icons disappear. In other words, does not retain profile settings, don't know why.
I am curious so maybe I will try that launcher.

I do not think I have access to previously bought apps on the Play Store, maybe I am not accessing them right. I want Plants vs Zombies on my HD+ which I own amongst others so holding out hope.

Using the n2a card, the UI was laggy and I had my share of force closings. This interface now while early to tell fully seems very fluid. Liking it so far.

I may pick up the Nook HD on a price drop. Better resolution than my N7 and that one is not optimized for tablet apps.

I do not see Gapps becoming available for Nook Tablet. It will be their way to force people to upgrade

Last edited by robertc88; 05-04-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #53
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Too late for me. And not necessarily a great move from a business perspective. Like MV64 mentioned, they made money on the store, not the hardware. Now they won't have any means to make a decent profit on it. This was a desperate move by a failing company.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #54
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Too late for me. And not necessarily a great move from a business perspective. Like MV64 mentioned, they made money on the store, not the hardware. Now they won't have any means to make a decent profit on it. This was a desperate move by a failing company.
Folks galore rooted or used n2a card anyways. They made little money from me with their store.

I see at least some purchases of these devices in the future. Last quarter was horrendous to them so .......

The specs on these tablets for the buck shows a bargain.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #55
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
I differ.

I bought this months ago and returned. Reason being? Not able to run Kindle app without a hack and no access to Google market. Sorry, I have no time or desire to root tablets anymore.

Allowing you to install Google apps without rooting while still retain B&N main UI and Shop button, brings the best of two worlds: a tablet geared to B&N content that its open and has a competitive hardware.

I own an iPad mini. But at its price tag and low resolution, the only actual advantage I can see its that the mini has 4G and camera. But reading perspective, with Google market, the Nook HD now closes that gap, especially with a 199 price tag. The mini aspect ratio is still better for PDFs though as its more an 8 inches tablet than 7 diagonal.

I just love the clarity and sharpness of the Nook HD. At 199 for a reader tablet, it's a decent proposition.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
It is a good move to get *away* from being a failing company.

They have been taking a bath on hardware. Namely, they already paid a ton to have them built and shipped and sales were (by all reports) awful. They tried discounting, they tried BoGo, they tried all sorts of way to get *some* money out off that sunk cost. This way they move the hardware at the *original* price and recover as much cash as possible.

It also strongly suggests there will not be a future Nook tablet and that when they talk of content sales they mean ebooks. After all, their app store is sparse, the video is barely launching, and music non-existent. And they no longer can afford to fool around pretending they can be Apple. They need to be Nook and they need to sell ebooks.
That is what Microsoft is paying them for, that is what Pearson paid for, that is what is actually bringing in money.

It's Triage plain and simple.
They are not on the edge of disaster but they can clearly see the cliff from where they are. It's got them concentrating on what matters.

As Samuel Johnson said: "When a man knows he is to be hanged...it concentrates his mind wonderfully."

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-04-2013 at 09:30 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #57
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
From the Seattle Times website (a Bloomsberg News article) that includes a business rationale for the technology change.

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...googlexml.html
"Barnes & Noble is also considering selling its 680 retail stores and website to founder and current Chairman Leonard Riggio, who announced his interest in such a deal in February. Just three days later on Feb. 28, Lynch tried to calm investors’ concerns about the Nook business after sales sank 26 percent. Lynch declined to comment on how the deal is progressing.

If completed, it would leave Nook Media, which includes Nook and its college bookstore business, in the public company. Barnes & Noble placed the two divisions together in Nook Media when Microsoft invested with the goal of possibly separating them from the retail unit."
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #58
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
From the Seattle Times website (a Bloomsberg News article) that includes a business rationale for the technology change.

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...googlexml.html
"Barnes & Noble is also considering selling its 680 retail stores and website to founder and current Chairman Leonard Riggio, who announced his interest in such a deal in February. Just three days later on Feb. 28, Lynch tried to calm investors’ concerns about the Nook business after sales sank 26 percent. Lynch declined to comment on how the deal is progressing.

If completed, it would leave Nook Media, which includes Nook and its college bookstore business, in the public company. Barnes & Noble placed the two divisions together in Nook Media when Microsoft invested with the goal of possibly separating them from the retail unit."
Can something big be in the works with Google and B&N?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #59
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
I'd have to disagree. I now have a tablet computer for a much cheaper price than an iPad, I'm not tied to iTunes, I can now buy Kindle books directly or Nook books or sideload whatever books I want, and I can now put any app I want on it. I'll pick up a 32GB micro SD card for it for about $24 so my total cost for a 48GB color HD tablet is going to be $194 - slightly cheaper than a 32GB iPad for $599.00. Yeah, I don't have a camera in it but I wouldn't use it anyway.

There are a lot of us out here who have no interest in drinking the Apple Kool-aid for one reason or another. B&N can make money selling their device to that market.

ETA: I just added the Audible for Android app to my Nook HD, so now I have access to all of my audiobooks on the device.

Last edited by Xanthe; 05-04-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #60
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It does not work terribly well for AIV but Puffin browser has Flash built in and will play Flash video on most web sites (some work better than others). Worth having it just so you can at least try it.
Picked up the Puffin Browser (the paid version supports Flash, the free version doesn't) and it did play the Amazon Prime Instant Video, so thank you very much for that suggestion!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote