Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
So any update on 2.0.4?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #17
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
I missed 2.0.4, updated for 2.3, if you have any information regarding 2.0.4, I'll add it for posterity here. Also, I don't know the build # for 2.3 because I only have a Kindle 2 DX. Can anybody please let me know the build #?
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
jhjessup
jhjessup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Version 2.3.3 Build Number

I have a Kindle 2 (US) with firmware version 2.3.3. The build number is 431100003.
jhjessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #19
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Thank you very much. Updated for 2.3.3.
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #20
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
What about 2.5.4 and 2.5.6 ?
Thank you.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #21
Marilyng
Marilyng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Hi,
I am new here & am having a problem downloaded the free books offered here.I am able to download the book to my computer,right click & save to kindle but when I go to my kindle the book isn't there.I have my usb connected & ,my wireless on but the book never shows up.Can u tell me what I am doing wrong,please?
Thanks
Marilyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyng View Post
Hi,
I am new here & am having a problem downloaded the free books offered here.I am able to download the book to my computer,right click & save to kindle but when I go to my kindle the book isn't there.I have my usb connected & ,my wireless on but the book never shows up.Can u tell me what I am doing wrong,please?
Thanks
Did you place the ebook in the correct folder on the Kindle(The Documents folder.)? Did you make sure that you changed the file properties to uncheck Read Only? Did you use Calibre or Mobi2Mobi to ensure that the ebook's title isn't some string of garbage but rather the real title?
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
Marilyng

oh wow,how do I get to the documents folder for the kindle.I don't see that when I right click on the save to my kindle?Yes Mobi is the correct format for the kindle,correct?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #24
Marilyng

I was told I need to get Calibre first & download it to my computer.Could someone tell me where I can find this,please!
Thank u
Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #25
Marilyng

Never mind I found the Calibre & all's well with the world!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #26
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Kindle 3 - 3.0.1 - "This software update adds the ability to create a new Amazon.com account directly from your Kindle, as well as additional performance improvements."
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
After taking a look at the update file:

* A full kernel update (with a whole bunch of the modules updated, if not all)
* A whole bunch of patches to system libs
* A whole bunch of patches to parts of the framework

One of the first things I noticed is that they seem to have changed the repeat rate of the 5-way. It's now much faster.

Also, the update process for this one is kinda crazy. Instead of running in the proper update runlevel, it just does a reboot and drop an init script to do the real, proper update smack in the middle of the boot process... And the copy of the patched files to the rootfs is done in a 5 retries loop for each file, the kernel flash is done at the end. That may explain the scary >45s pause right at the last notch of the progress bar .

On the fonts side of things, we now know for sure that the Kindle 3 is using the FreeType+FontConfig+Pango trio to render fonts . That explains the enhanced non-latin support (pango) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #28
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Also, the update process for this one is kinda crazy. Instead of running in the proper update runlevel, it just does a reboot and drop an init script to do the real, proper update smack in the middle of the boot process... And the copy of the patched files to the rootfs is done in a 5 retries loop for each file, the kernel flash is done at the end. That may explain the scary >45s pause right at the last notch of the progress bar .
Eww. That is a really horrible update mechanism. I'd be very caution about altering anything in the boot up process as a hack if it is doing that as an update mechanism. Any change in the sequence could cause the update to fail part way.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #29
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Well, it does drop out of the usual rc5 cycle pretty early (S10) and launch the otaup script manually, but it's still dirtier than usual.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #30
Tiersten
Guru

All 3 updates are the same. The reason for the 3 different versions is because the Kindle checks that the device type is correct on the overall update and the update inside that actually does the changes.

The contents of the update all match between them. The differences are due to the previously mentioned device type and timestamps like in the gzip header and on the actual files.

Tags
change logs