Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Shaika-Dzari
Shaika-Dzari began at the beginning.

Device: none
Straigth answer to a canadian Linux user

Hello eveyone,

My first post Thanks in advance to help me

Like probably most of you, I'm an avid reader; mostly scifi and fantasy in my case...
No more place to keep the books I buy, so it may be the right time to check for an ereader.

But, I have a couple of question and I'm not really sure what should I buy.

A couple of info to guide my choice :
  • I'm a Linux user
  • I'm canadian
  • I want to read books. Manga is a bonus. I don't want a tablet...
  • I hate DRM
  • Max 150$

Since I'm canadian, the choice is more limited. The 3 on my list are the Kindle, the last Sony or the kobo touch.

So a couple of questions to help me make a better choice :
1- Is it possible to make the initial setup without a computer (I presume there is no support for Linux)
2- Can I buy books directly from the ereader ?
3- Like I said, I hate DRM. I pay for my book and I refuse to keep DRM file on my device. Is it possible to strip DRM on Linux for one of these ereader ?

Shaika-Dzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaika-Dzari View Post
Hello eveyone,

Like probably most of you, I'm an avid reader; mostly scifi and fantasy in my case...
No more place to keep the books I buy, so it may be the right time to check for an ereader.

• I'm a Linux user
  • I'm canadian
  • I hate DRM
  • Max 150$

Since I'm canadian, the choice is more limited. The 3 on my list are the Kindle, the last Sony or the kobo touch.

1- Is it possible to make the initial setup without a computer (I presume there is no support for Linux)
3- Like I said, I hate DRM. I pay for my book and I refuse to keep DRM file on my device. Is it possible to strip DRM on Linux for one of these ereader ?

Unless Sony has changed with the release of the PRS-T1, their readers are usable out of the box. Kobo, I am pretty sure requires set up.. but they do have a Linux version of their desktop that might do it, though I don't know how well it is maintained.

Since neither my nor my wife's readers have wireless I can't comment on buying books.

As for DRM, all I can note is that increasingly sci-fi publishers appear to be moving away from it. Baen never used it as well as quite a few smaller publishers which sell through Baen.. and Tor has stopped using it.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Shaika-Dzari

Hello bill,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Unless Sony has changed with the release of the PRS-T1, their readers are usable out of the box. Kobo, I am pretty sure requires set up.. but they do have a Linux version of their desktop that might do it, though I don't know how well it is maintained.
A friend of mine told me after I made this thread that the Kobo can be used out of the box as well but he is not sure if it's possible to buy ebook directly from the device. Kobo as a desktop client (found a thread in Kobo section) but it's not updated anymore and quite hard to made it working with a recent linux distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale
As for DRM, all I can note is that increasingly sci-fi publishers appear to be moving away from it. Baen never used it as well as quite a few smaller publishers which sell through Baen.. and Tor has stopped using it.
I saw the news on Tor Books and it was part of my motivation to buy an ereader.
It's a great move and I'll gladly support them by buying books.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I've used a Sony T1 which requires no desktop to set up. You simply create an account on the sony reader store and register your device there by logging in. I buy mostly books from DRM free stores. I am not a huge sci-fi fan, but Baen is famous for no DRM, reasonable prices, good freebies, and treating customers well.

Now, as for DRM stripping and Linux, the only type of DRM stripping I have been able to do has been Kindle's DRM, but I bought a cheap Kindle (just last week) to get myself a serial number for editing the Apprentice Alf plugin (so the stripping tools match the buyer) in Calibre. (do a google search for tools v5.1 and Apprentice Alf to discover how to add the plugin to Calibre).

So far my T1 and Kindle marriage are working out. I used to own the Kobo touch, but that requires setup on the actual Kobo desktop software, which requires, you guessed it, WINDOWS :P. So my husband, who is also a Linux user (a Debian Developer, actually), but has limited personal Windows use at work, has inherited the danged thing. My experience with the Kobo Touch is love/hate, but I don't want to say much more than that.

I am not a highly technical person. I just poke around until I get what I want.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Shaika-Dzari

Hello spindlegirl,

If you have to choose between the Sony T1 (or T2 now) or the Kobo, what would be your number 1 ?

I'm a software / web developer so I should be able to manage the installation of Calibre and the plugin.

My only concern is :
- Do I need to use ADE each time I'm buying a book or calibre will strip DRM automatically (we suppose the plugin is installed correctly the first time).

Thanks !
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Hello spindlegirl,

If you have to choose between the Sony T1 (or T2 now) or the Kobo, what would be your number 1 ?

I'm a software / web developer so I should be able to manage the installation of Calibre and the plugin.

My only concern is :
- Do I need to use ADE each time I'm buying a book or calibre will strip DRM automatically (we suppose the plugin is installed correctly the first time).

Thanks !
You will probably need ADE to get the book initially. Calibre (with the correct add-ons) removes the DRM as you add the books to Calibre.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Definitely the T1. T1 works straight out of the box practically.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Hello eveyone,

• I'm a Linux user
  • I'm canadian
  • I hate DRM
  • Max 150$

My personal opinion is that the advantages of using an ereader far outweigh the loss of the user experience in reading an actual physical book, at least for me. I have extensive experience with the Kindle including the Keyboard and the Touch, extensive experience with an older Sony, and no experience with the Kobo. Based on my experience, I would choose the Kindle touch. It works very well with Linux, and can be set up without resort to any Windows programs. Haven't tried Manga but imagine the experience would lose quite a lot from the lack of colour.

So far as DRM is concerned, just Google Apprentice Alf. If you have no moral objections to removing or circumventing, and it is not illegal to do so in your country, then I understand it is trivial to set things up to do so. Regional restrictions are more of a nuisance, but once again can be by-passed if you care to do so.

Finally, I should add that if you do need to use ADE it works great under Wine or Crossover.

Good luck.

Last edited by darryl; 08-18-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Add section on ADE and Wine
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
arciervo
arciervo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Although it's not really your question and may not be of interest to you, the Sony is the only reader that allows you to check out ebooks from Canadian public libraries via wifi. I believe Kobo will require an intermediate PC and, as far as I know, Kindle only works with libraries in the USA.

I use this feature a lot, since it's easy for me to search for a library ebook, place a request (if not immediately available), and eventually download it, all from my T1.
arciervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Shaika-Dzari

Hello everyone,

I got a deal for a Sony PRS-T1. I have it in my hand right now and I'm playing with it.
It's appear on Linux like a big usb key and I was able to move a couple of epub without any issue.

Everything is working.

Now is the time to try to buy a book...

Thanks for you help