Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #46
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
[QUOTE=ApK;1943052]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

I interpreted it mean a usb data cord plugged into an AC/usb adapter, vs a purpose-built AC charger that happens to have a usb connector on it (which may have some custom doodads inside). That's the situation I was describing with my Motorola cell phones, anyway, so that's what I assumed he meant, too. Did I get it right?
um...yes that's what I meant. Sorry about the poor wording.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #47
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
umm... I just have to ask... why isn't anyone simply using an actual Sony adapter? I don't understand. I just ordered one tonight from Sony Canada for $14, (including delivery) so they're not exactly expensive. It just seems odd that nobody even mentions the real thing; only other brands.
You got it on sale for $14.99 Canadian. It's normally $30 plus shipping!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #48
camperbc
Enthusiast
camperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five words

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
You got it on sale for $14.99 Canadian? It's normally $30 plus shipping!
Ah, that explains it! I agree $30 is a LOT for a power cord. I went back to the Sony (Canada) site, and sure enough the regular price is $29.99. That's just as crazy as having to pay $40 for a plastic Sony cover for the PRS-T1! (*EDIT* just ordered the cover for my T1, as I noticed they are now on for half price... $19.99!)

A bit off topic, but the Sony Store has had some great deals lately, and I've been taking full advantage of them, including a Christmas gift to myself; an amazing 46" Bravia LED Internet TV for $699, (reg $1299... or a whopping $1,999 in the USA for some strange reason!) a blu-ray player for $64, and two PRS-T1's at $109 ea.

All excellent deals.... but I too would definitely hesitate paying 30 bucks for a power cord!!

Glen

Last edited by camperbc; 01-28-2012 at 03:53 PM.
camperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #49
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Just a little reminder for everybody:

There is a wiki page (this thread is not the first one on chargers), if your charger is not yet listed, please simply add it. thx.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #50
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I have some cheap supermarket charger made in China.
Its model is:

TAC050100U1EU-N1

It works wit PB902 but does not work with T1.

But why?
Its output: 5 V - 1A - 5W

1A should be enough.
I see that compatible chargers are in the range of at least 0.7 A - 2 A
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #51
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I just recently got the Sony charger for $15, both for the convenience and to do some reverse engineering. I'm not completely certain yet, (waiting for some parts from Sparkfun...) but it seems like the Sony charger has the two data lines shorted together. At least two other chargers that don't charge my PRS-T1 have the data lines open circuit. Apple has a different scheme...

I'll post more definitive results when I get my little USB breakout boards.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #52
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
I have some cheap supermarket charger made in China.
Its model is:

TAC050100U1EU-N1

It works wit PB902 but does not work with T1.

But why?
Its output: 5 V - 1A - 5W

1A should be enough.
I see that compatible chargers are in the range of at least 0.7 A - 2 A
Don't expect a cheap supermarket charger to meet the specs on it's label. Even some expensives ones don't.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #53
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Still, probably something is about the data lines
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #54
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I noticed something interesting with my ipod USB Plug charger, using the cable that comes with T1 I get no joy but I tryed my swiss charger cable with the micro USB tip and I get charge from the Apple charger on my T1.

Doesn't make much sense but the charge only cable works with everything I've tried so far while the proper T1 cable doesn't.

Last edited by Teknikal; 02-18-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #55
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I noticed something interesting with my ipod USB Plug charger, using the cable that comes with T1 I get no joy but I tryed my swiss charger cable with the micro USB tip and I get charge from the Apple charger on my T1.

Doesn't make much sense but the charge only cable works with everything I've tried so far while the proper T1 cable doesn't.
Makes perfect sense as one cable has data lines shorted and the other doesn't... it's been documented and written about in various threads many times and can be further confirmed by googling technical specifications for USB...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #56
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Well, it's not generic but the Amazon Kindle AC/USB charger works with the Sony readers. I had been using my Blackberry charger but having cords & parrots can sometimes be a dangerous combination. My littlest one chomped the cord. Thankfully it wasn't plugged in & she's fine but I had to buy a new one.

I noticed that the official Sony one looked identical to the Kindle one but the Kindle one is $10 cheaper. I bought it & it works!! It charges the Kindle, the Sony & even my Blackberry. It also has the added benefit of being white if anyone prefers it to the black ones. Just thought I'd share.

Kindle AC/USB Charger
Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #57
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Makes perfect sense as one cable has data lines shorted and the other doesn't... it's been documented and written about in various threads many times and can be further confirmed by googling technical specifications for USB...
I don't think the charge cable has any data lines in it just the positive and negative. It's from a universal charger but I guess it's possible the micro USB tip that slides on could possible be shorted. Example pic of what I have below.

I would recommend the swiss charger as it does pretty much charge everything I have and came with a 2500mah battery pack that also charges my T1.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most cell phone chargers with microUSB will work with a T1. Anything that's compatible with an iPhone is not going to work with a T1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #59
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most cell phone chargers with microUSB will work with a T1. Anything that's compatible with an iPhone is not going to work with a T1.
Guess my PC is out then? just kidding

I think what we really need is a standalone USB charger that is smart enough to realise what device is connecting and make the necessary adjustments like a PC would do failing that even having manual switches could work, hopefully that would put a stop to both Sony, Apple and any other company trying to charge us separately for what's really the same thing.

Until that time however I think the best solution for myself is to have a universal charger with tips for everything. That way I can charge my ipod, psp, t1, nokia all just by changing a tip.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #60
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I was going to write that any USB power supply will work with the T1 but a quick check with a couple of my USB power supplies has shown me to be wrong. This is true for the 650. However I think that any power supply that would charge the 650 and let you read at the same time will work with the T1. The USB supply that comes with the ASUS Transformer will work with both the T1 and the 650. As does the Sony supply that was sold for the 3/650.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote