Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Counter
Connoisseur
Counter began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader
Just about to give up..

Well,

Going a bit crazy looking at all the available (to the US) e-book readers and I am still confused. If it was for me, I would be all over the Astak 6" but it is for my wife and I want her to enjoy without her getting aggravated.

The Sony 900 looks so cool but not sure if it can be delivered by the 25th.

Other brands (gave up on the Nook..) either seem to be to buggy which is not good for her or missing some nice features like:

8 shades of gray but 4 could do since it really is for reading not looking at pictures.
pdb and epub reading (DRM and not DRM)
6" screen or 7"

if anyone can tell me how they like the Astak 6" looking at it from a beginner point of view never wanting or even knowing about firmware upgrades, it would be great. Or any other brand that fits the bill

Maybe I am looking for too much since it will be her first reader but I don't like shelling out $$$ every few months or so , so I want her to be happy with what I get her.

Thanks

Mark
Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Mark.

The Sony seems to be very popular right now, and if you are looking for epub support, it handles library ebooks quite easily.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Counter
Connoisseur
Counter began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader
I see Sony will ship the 900 through 1/9/10 so that is out for my wife's present.

Oh well. I know it is not the Nook so we will see and if I decide I will post what I order here
Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter View Post
I see Sony will ship the 900 through 1/9/10 so that is out for my wife's present.

Oh well. I know it is not the Nook so we will see and if I decide I will post what I order here
If you have your heart set on a 900, you could order it and place and place a nicely wrapped box under the tree..........with a note of explanation inside.

If it were me, and I wanted that particular one, the joy would not be diminished by waiting a few weeks!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If you have your heart set on a 900, you could order it and place and place a nicely wrapped box under the tree..........with a note of explanation inside.
Exactly, don't just settle for something that is not your first choice just because you cant get it right away. I'm waiting until the 18th so I can actualyl touch it and test it but from what I've read the ship dates are any time between the 18th and the 9th, so there is chance, granted a small one, you could get it to her by the 25th.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter View Post
if anyone can tell me how they like the Astak 6" looking at it from a beginner point of view never wanting or even knowing about firmware upgrades, it would be great. Or any other brand that fits the bill
Have you ruled out the Sony 600 for some reason?

It is 6inchs, supports ePub with and without DRM. Also supports ePub has a music player. It as has a lookup dictionary, allows annotations, and searching... stuff I'm pretty sure the EZ Reader doesn't do.

I am also partial to the Kindle... but since you specific ePub I guess that is out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Also give a look at the Pocketbook 301 and especially the 360. The 360 is only a 5" device but everyone seems very pleased with it and it also does everything you mentioned. The 302 touch screen model likely won't be out any sooner than the Sony 900.

I would also stick with companies which write their own device firmware/software. Something nice about the Pocketbook line is they are open for developers to add other useful (or sometimes, ummm, not so useful apps like crossword puzzle software, potentially a recipe database as well as shopping list app something along the lines of HandyShopper was for the PalmOS devices...and oodles more things which some might not think they would use, until you actually have them on hand...) As you can see I feel these devices need to not only bring top notch build quality, well written reader software and also some other functions people can choose to add or not.

If you want just a basic reader the PB360 should be on the short list, especially if you are looking for something in the "it just works" category. Last I like the PB360 because of the integrated cover no need for buying some bulky cover which defeats the entire portability aspect of these readers.

Just adding some thoughts which might come from a different perspective.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you ruled out the Sony 600 for some reason?

It is 6inchs, supports ePub with and without DRM. Also supports ePub has a music player. It as has a lookup dictionary, allows annotations, and searching... stuff I'm pretty sure the EZ Reader doesn't do.
I would second Bob's recommendation of the PRS-600. I have numerous reading devices, but the PRS-600 is my favourite.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote