Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
LibraryGoddess
LibraryGoddess is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony reader 505
Frozen in Asia

I am on a 6 month trip in Asia. My ebook is frozen with USB connected on the screen. I was recharging it using a ASUS eepc that we have with us. It had worked before after charging this way. The ASUS has only a very small solid state drive so I don't have the ebook library or my books on it. Is there any way to get my ebook working again? Only a few of my books are on the SD card that I have with me. Thanks for any help.
LibraryGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

Tell us how you get on.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
LibraryGoddess

Thank you. I tried the soft reset several times but nothing happened. I have also tried plugging it in to the computer again for over 8 hours. When I tried the recharge that did this, the first message on power up said starting up and never went off. So then I plugged it back into the computer and then when unplugged it said USB connected. Perhaps this additional information will help.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
The problem with plunging it into a laptop/netbook is that it goes to sleep after a short time and turns off any voltage output to the USB ports. If you charge it from the laptop, it needs to be set to be always on and then the PRS505 needs to left on a significant time, sometimes for a 12-24 hours if it completely dead.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is very true, jedavis1; which is why a mains recharge overnight is always the best thing with a reader whose battery has completely drained.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
LibraryGoddess

I charged again for over 12 hours and made sure the computer was not powering down. Then I did soft reset.Now the reader just says starting up but doesn't do anything. Any ideas? I don't have an ac charger and don't know how I could get one in Thailand.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader

Did you charge until the little red light went out?

For mains charging, the Sony PSP charger (or a generic version) will work as well as the official one. It is widely available.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
LibraryGoddess

I recharged again through USB until no red light. Disconnected, soft reset a couple of times and got the starting up screen. That was over an hour ago--nothing else happens. Thanks for any other help you can think of.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Connect USB cable, reset and turn on. Do you get to the "USB Connected" screen? If yes, can you see the internal flash drive?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
LibraryGoddess

No. The red charging light is on but no USB connected--just starting up.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need to get a PSP charger. Could you not order one on-line and have it mailed to you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryGoddess View Post
No. The red charging light is on but no USB connected--just starting up.
Hmm this doesn't look good. It seem there's something wrong with your main firmware. Try the 10 resets trick (reset, turn on, wait until boot screen, repeat) and see if it will boot in the firmware recovery mode - then you can reapply firmware update and hopefully that will fix it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

I suggest the following as a course of action - it has worked for at least 2 people.

This seems to be a very common problem. It does not matter if it crashes while shutting down or booting or what is showing on the screen.

1) 3 hour wall charge (so I recommend buying a psp charger) first.

2) Disconnect wall charger

3) Connect with USB to a PC (from USB to USB as if you are going to transfer files)

4) Try RESET on back of 505 then POWER switch.

Last edited by shousa; 11-24-2008 at 06:05 PM.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote