Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
yeh im very happy with the almost non margins of stanza, the black bezel acts as my margin.
I'm hoping that the Overdrive app works like ADE does on other portable devices and allows the ePub to set the margins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #32
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Txtr? Really? I have been using Stanza + Full Force for a couple of weeks now and I've never had it crash. It doesn't allow a resizing of the margins like others have stated but it's the best reading app for the iPad right now.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #33
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i had it crash several times on me in the first 20 minutes, clicked delete and went back to ibooks. no point in prolonging the inevitable anyway. just go into settings if you want it to crash, did pretty much every time for me and I'm sure i could make it do so again.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #34
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i had it crash several times on me in the first 20 minutes, clicked delete and went back to ibooks. no point in prolonging the inevitable anyway. just go into settings if you want it to crash, did pretty much every time for me and I'm sure i could make it do so again.
Did you ever check what version I can not get a crash in 2.1.1 and that's trying to! Changed pretty much everything in settings.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #35
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

it was 2.1.1, and it was an honest attempt to use the program as you can see in my postings in the previous thread. but since I'm happy enough with using iBooks I have no reason to go back and try again. I currently have about 550 books loaded up into iBooks and it works just fine, is it perfect? no. but stanza wasn't perfect for me either. full force was version 1.0, so that might have something to do with it as well (1.1 is the latest).

full force is great, but it is a hack and i try not to rely on hacks for "production" applications. in the end, i just want to read words on the screen, i don't want to have to screw around with hacks or restart an application when it crashes repeatedly. ibooks displays the words and lets me read. i gave readMe a good try too but it was just too buggy. neither Kobo, Kindle nor the B&N app allow me to import my own epub files. if GoodReader supported ePub in addition to my PDF files I'd ditch all of the other apps for GoodReader and use just one application. is GoodReader the best? no. but I'd be willing to sacrifice some things for one-stop-shopping, err, reading.
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #36
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
it was 2.1.1, and it was an honest attempt to use the program as you can see in my postings in the previous thread. but since I'm happy enough with using iBooks I have no reason to go back and try again. I currently have about 550 books loaded up into iBooks and it works just fine, is it perfect? no. but stanza wasn't perfect for me either. full force was version 1.0, so that might have something to do with it as well (1.1 is the latest).

full force is great, but it is a hack and i try not to rely on hacks for "production" applications. in the end, i just want to read words on the screen, i don't want to have to screw around with hacks or restart an application when it crashes repeatedly. ibooks displays the words and lets me read. i gave readMe a good try too but it was just too buggy. neither Kobo, Kindle nor the B&N app allow me to import my own epub files. if GoodReader supported ePub in addition to my PDF files I'd ditch all of the other apps for GoodReader and use just one application. is GoodReader the best? no. but I'd be willing to sacrifice some things for one-stop-shopping, err, reading.
Thats cool I was just trying to establish why it had happend as I genuinelly havent seen any problems, yeh I guess the newer full force could be the reason.

I wanted to love iBook but the margins were too much, and i like being able to use calibre to get booiks in.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #37
scottjl
Reader of Books

i have an automator script to set up new epub from my calibre library (which i use to manage all my ebooks) right into itunes. then when i sync my ipad they show up. pdf files are stored on my webdav server and goodreader will pull those down from the internet where ever i may be. i don't even notice the margins in ibooks and don't really care. if i was reading a paper book i'd have absolutely no control over margins, brightness, fonts, etc. the fact that i have any in ibooks is simply a luxury. as i said, i like to spend more time reading than tweaking, crashing or being frustrated. since i travel extensively i want to be able to fire my ipad up on a plane and get to reading a book, not throwing my ipad off a plane because an app crashes.

generally my ipad has been rock solid, the times it crashes have been using iphone specific apps, and jailbroken applications or hacks. there has been only one ipad specific app that i have had any difficult with and can get it to crash quiet easily, repeatedly. i jettison any unstable apps and look for a replacement.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #38
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
i have an automator script to set up new epub from my calibre library (which i use to manage all my ebooks) right into itunes. then when i sync my ipad they show up. pdf files are stored on my webdav server and goodreader will pull those down from the internet where ever i may be. i don't even notice the margins in ibooks and don't really care. if i was reading a paper book i'd have absolutely no control over margins, brightness, fonts, etc. the fact that i have any in ibooks is simply a luxury. as i said, i like to spend more time reading than tweaking, crashing or being frustrated. since i travel extensively i want to be able to fire my ipad up on a plane and get to reading a book, not throwing my ipad off a plane because an app crashes.

generally my ipad has been rock solid, the times it crashes have been using iphone specific apps, and jailbroken applications or hacks. there has been only one ipad specific app that i have had any difficult with and can get it to crash quiet easily, repeatedly. i jettison any unstable apps and look for a replacement.
would you mind sending me that script?

I could alter it to drop books into stanza folder too I guess, the part I couldnt get to work in calibre was to identify my new epubs automagically.

Last edited by stustaff; 06-02-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #39
Caleb
Voracious eReader
Caleb began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Note that with Stanza's update to version 3 this is no longer necessary. Native iPad support was added.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #40
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Note that with Stanza's update to version 3 this is no longer necessary. Native iPad support was added.
I actually find I prefer the last version with full force, the catalog view is nicer
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to say that iBooks is better then Stanza. Stanza has been sub-par from day 1 and has never really gotten a decent ePub rendering engine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #42
scottjl
Reader of Books

i liked stanza on my iphone, it's still the best reader available on the iphone in my opinion, but i have to agree, i just like the look and operation of ibooks slightly better than stanza, although i wish ibooks had more customization. if the two could get together and have some offspring their kids would be great book readers.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #43
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
i liked stanza on my iphone, it's still the best reader available on the iphone in my opinion, but i have to agree, i just like the look and operation of ibooks slightly better than stanza, although i wish ibooks had more customization. if the two could get together and have some offspring their kids would be great book readers.
Yeh I'm being pulled back to iBooks, for the actual reading which I guess is where I'll be spending most of my time.

I love stanza for the connection and getting book options, especially the calibre connection, which has now arrived for iBooks via a wired upload.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #44
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Stanza is a godsend to me in that I can read my DRM'd books from fictionwise. I have quite a few that I haven't read yet. Other than that, I'll likely go with iBooks.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #45
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
why i jailbreak..

I now have several idevices with me. All of them are jailbroken. I got my ipad on saturday and I had it spirited on sunday.

The reason i do it(now that stanza for ipad is out):

SBSettings: There is severe lack of hardware buttons. So if the home or the power buttons were to be damaged, I am in a soup. My 1st gen itouch was almost unuseable. Apple refused, but SBSettings saved the device.

AppLinks: Get simple names and path for your apps.

FinderMobile/iFile: Browse the i-filesystem. copy move, edit etc.,

ProSwitcher/Circuitous(not very good for ipad at the moment)

VoipOver3G, Full Force, etc.,: I can play full screen chess..

and many many more.

My next try will be to put a full C/C++ compiler inside the ipad. It can be a good prog device: just to see if i can learn i-programming..

Hats off to Apple for good devices and Dev-Team for making them great..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote