Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #46
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
- Browsing mode : new interface presentation.

- Possibility to create your own folders.

- Possibility to speed-up the page turn (in library-mode and in a book)

- Possibility to zoom / change font size by pressing + or – button (Cybook Gen3), by pressing simultaneously menu and one of the page forward/backward button (Cybook Opus).
These points will make me update without a qualm (as soon as I'll have some positive returns, that is ! )

Last edited by Idoine; 08-28-2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Oups, first post in french !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #47
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Ben alors idoine, tu t'embrouille dans les langues

Yeah, folder support works a charm. I didn't feel big change with pdf. It's faster though.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #48
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
These points will make me update without a qualm (as soon as I'll have some positive returns, that is ! )
What I need is some way to initiate lookup without jumping through the menus. And that's not on the list

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #49
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
PDF is not a proprietary format. It is an ISO standard.
Sorry, but my native language is german and when I looked it up:
- from latin "proprietarius" = the owner
- the original meaning is therefor "owned by someone", "belonging to someone"
- juridically it's meaning is "copyrighted"

Plus an english dictionary translated:
- company-owned (firmeneigen)
- secured (gesichert)
- secret (geheim)

So when I wrote about PDF being proprietary, I was referring to "being copyrighted" and "owned by a company" (Adobe), which it surely is...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #50
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
If after missing the last deadline by half a year they have nothing better than "soon" they should have kept it to themselves. It's just pouring more oil onto the flames...
Don't get greedy...

I think it's nice to hear something (though there's been nothing they couldn't have posted 2 months ago...) and maybe they have reacted to our whining and moaning at last...
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #51
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeap.
That one more reason that made the choice to switch to ePub a easy for me
Yeah, good for you, but bad news to anybody needing dictionary support and (HarryT) NO, to use a Mobi dictionary on my phone is no solution at all... To everybody who needs a dictionary this FW is a dead end (I don't think the Mobi version will see other then bug fixing in the future)!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Sorry, but my native language is german and when I looked it up:
- from latin "proprietarius" = the owner
- the original meaning is therefor "owned by someone", "belonging to someone"
- juridically it's meaning is "copyrighted"

Plus an english dictionary translated:
- company-owned (firmeneigen)
- secured (gesichert)
- secret (geheim)

So when I wrote about PDF being proprietary, I was referring to "being copyrighted" and "owned by a company" (Adobe), which it surely is...
Yes, that is the meaning of "proprietary", but although PDF was originally created and owned by Adobe, they handed "ownership" of it to the International Standard Organisation (ISO) a couple of years ago, and it is now an open standard.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #53
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
What's kind of strange is that after letting us wait for ages without any official statement (claiming that due to their bad experience with giving out dates they will no longer do that) now they announce the FW yet another time and have nothing better to offer than "soon".
That the firmware will be released "soon" (whether that means a few days or months) was already known. If after missing the last deadline by half a year they have nothing better than "soon" they should have kept it to themselves. It's just pouring more oil onto the flames...
I agree. This is no way to do business and just so ridiculous! Just keep throwing out crumbs, teasing us along...who handles customers like this and survives in a competitive marketplace?
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bookeen have been in the eBook Reader market longer than anyone else, and they seem to be selling every device that they can make, so clearly it's a business strategy which is doing them no harm.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #55
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bookeen have been in the eBook Reader market longer than anyone else, and they seem to be selling every device that they can make, so clearly it's a business strategy which is doing them no harm.
I'd say that's a pretty short term view of how to run a business - if that is Bookeen's strategy, they probably won't be in business for the long-term.

At present, there is a shortage of ebook readers. As the supply becomes more plentiful and as more competitors enter the market, that "strategy" won't carry them very far. A year ago I would have recommended Bookeen to anyone, but not now. When I am looking around for my next eBook Reader or as people ask me about purchasing an eBook Reader, I do not look to nor shall I refer people to Bookeen's products. Sony will probably be the place that I will go for my next eBook Reader.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #56
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
What I've done (thanks to a suggestion by tompe!) is install my Mobi dictionary on Mobi Reader on my Smartphone. The Windows Mobile version of Mobi Reader lets you look words up in a dictionary (ie type them in).
The operating system of my mobile phone isn't windows, and I won't buy a new phone just for that.
And even if it was, I don't want to put my reader down, take my phone, use the dictionary, put my phone back again and pick up my reader again. It's just too cumbersome.

So thanks for the suggestion, but I'll stick to mobi for now

by the way, I guess ' soon' is just bookeen's way of saying next monday (NO, I don't mean this in a sarcastic way )

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 08-28-2009 at 01:48 PM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #57
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
You know Harry, people around here almost make me laugh sometimes.
To moan about Bookeen, one must have been disappointed by Bookeen, which means he/she already owns a Bookeen device.

Now imagining Bookeen business model for the further future:
" Buy our product, and join the community to complain about us! "

*lol*
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #58
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Word of mouth can make a big difference in how a company is perceived. Just imagine if Bookeen was publishing new firmware updates constantly, and was always trying to implement user suggestions for improvements. This forum would be full of positive statements, instead of negative. It directly has an affect on sales, I am convinced. When I am considering a new product purchase, I read reviews on NewEgg, Amazon, etc. Those comments can make or break a sale, at least for me they do.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #59
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Word of mouth can make a big difference in how a company is perceived. Just imagine if Bookeen was publishing new firmware updates constantly, and was always trying to implement user suggestions for improvements. This forum would be full of positive statements, instead of negative. It directly has an affect on sales, I am convinced. When I am considering a new product purchase, I read reviews on NewEgg, Amazon, etc. Those comments can make or break a sale, at least for me they do.
I agree. When I bought my Cybook it was because of the dictionary capability + mobipocket. I had a really good experience with my former reader (Palm TX) with that combo and thought to continue in the same line. But, alas, no improvement is forthcoming in that area - I think ever - since obviously mobipocket is becoming a dead end.
Since I own old Cybook it's possible that this firmware is the last one I'll be seeing for it and that means I'm stuck with cumbersome lookup and it's most annoying.
If I have to switch to ePub, I would like to have dictionary on the reader (and yes, I have it on my palm but how can I use it on a bus while standing and reading - third and fourth arm?) and only option right now is to go with Sony and I'm seriously considering it.
I'm not even thinking about Opus. If they make a dream device in the future and offer it for a decent amount of money I'll really have to convince myself to even consider it.
I know, I know. This post is rather bitter, but all this waiting and the only thing I get is better library navigation (and that's long overdue), no epub in mobi firmware, no improvement of lookup...
Gah!

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #60
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
How good is the mobipocket support, however? I bet it does not use mobipocket's SDK, but rather something like FBReader... Even if the quality is good enough, implementing it would mean more work for Bookeen, and we don't want that, do we?
Seems fine to me. There are some differences
- No option to justify or not justify
- No option for running header
- Page numbering instead of a pageometer at the bottom. And one can go to a specific page number.

So yes, it's probably not the same reader as on the Cybook.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quad-posting, whining