Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Securing Fire Against Unintentional Purchases

I think I'd like to buy a Fire for each of my kids, but I have noticed that it is very easy to purchase apps and media. The purchaser is not prompted for credentials or even to confirm the purchase. I'm very concerned about Prime in this respect as per use content is listed among the subscription content.

Amazon's suggestion was to password protect the device, but it is authorized users that I would like to not make purchases.

I can't figure out how to disable one-click purchasing or simply disable purchasing on the Fire.

Am I just stupid?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
The best way to go about this, is to change your one click purchase method to gift card instead of credit card, this will not disable the purchase ability but you can now remove your Credit card info so the kindle can only buy with whats allotted in gift card balance. Plus what I have done was to show my kids how to use the wish list for things they want, and informed them that if I see any purchase activity without my consent they lose their kindle. Plus their wishlist shows up on your account and you can track it alot better. The only absolute solution is to deregister the kindle and re-register only when you want to purchase or set them up with an amazon account with the gift card option. Hope this helps.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. If you deregister, do you lose access to Prime and online content? If the Fire is deregistered, will it still receive content purchased via the web site?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Just turn OFF one-click buying at the Amazon site and no purchases will be allowed. Then only turn it on as needed. If you only buy from the Amazon site, you can never turn it on.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
there's no good way to do it now. Amazon should add something like optional 4 digit pin on top of 1-click. Having parental controls would be even better.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
If I am not mistaken you can not turn off one click for the kindle.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
there's no good way to do it now. Amazon should add something like optional 4 digit pin on top of 1-click. Having parental controls would be even better.
They have it for the android app store on the kindle, but not for the book portion. Hopefully they will update this.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
wizwor
Wizard

Well, Amazon has been patient with me -- refunding each purchase as I try to secure my new toy. The last message was very welcome...

Quote:
At this time we do not have a way of preventing anyone from making purchases on your Kindle Fire while they are using your device. You can set a password on the device itself that locks it, but it will prevent anyone from accessing it.

This is something that our Developers are working on so that all purchases would require a password or pin number. I have submitted your information and request as well to them and I hope in the next update for the Kindle Fire this will be made available.
I'm pretty content with the current situation, Amazon's acknowledgement of the problem, and a news that they are working on a solution.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I have the pin code set up and 1 click turned off. When I made an app purchase (intentionally) on my daughter's Kindle Fire, I was not prompted for the pin code and was able to make the purchase with 1 click.

There's a recent thread with a more lengthy discussion of this issue from a few days back.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Darn, I just turned the 1-click off, I thought that would fix it. They gotta fix that just so I don't accidentally swipe over the button while window shopping. I've noticed that the Fire will actually react to a "finger hover" (for lack of a better description) and suddenly I'm off on a link when I didn't actually touch the screen.
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
wizwor
Wizard

I couldn't turn 1-click off, but after removing and re-adding my card, the Fire was not able to install apps.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
motty69
motty69 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Simple solution for this is to download ZDbox (free) from the Amazon app store. Among other tools it has a app lock tool that allows you to choose which apps to lock down with a pin or password. It will prompt you for the pin when you try to run the app. Works great.
motty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
While in the Amazon store on the KF, go under the menu button. Under Settings, there is Parental Control.

Hope this does what you want.

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratkity View Post
While in the Amazon store on the KF, go under the menu button. Under Settings, there is Parental Control.

Hope this does what you want.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Thanks for posting this. Karma to you.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
What I do is remove all CC from my account then add it in the normal amazon payment area. This keeps me from purchasing anything from the Fire itself but I can still don't have to enter my CC details when I purchase anything from the actual site. When I click to buy an app or Kindle book it takes me to confirmation page and let's me select my CC to pay with.

Great for not buying something by accident.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote