Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #46
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
How to disable apps without root

But this should do it: connect with ADB (you don't need root on your device).
See this for Ubuntu: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=adb

Then:

adb root (since we're on a cable we can get root temporarily)
adb shell pm list packages - will list all packages, find which one you want
adb shell pm disable [name of the package]

you're set.

By the way, my list is:

package:com.android.quicksearchbox
package:com.kobobooks.android.twitterstub
package:ca.jamdat.flight.scrabblefree
package:com.kobobooks.android.facebookstub
package:com.inqmobile.android.facebook
package:com.inqmobile.suite.b
package:com.zinio.android.settings
package:com.newspaperdirect.pressreader.android
package:com.rdio.android.ui
package:com.newspaperdirect.globe2go.android
package:com.inqmobile.android.facebook.apps.people
package:com.zinio.mobile.android.reader
package:com.kobobooks.android.gmailstub
package:com.merriamwebster

So these are safe.

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-25-2011 at 05:59 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #47
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

connectbot help

su command works, nothing after that.
mount | grep /system returns a grep: not found.
Is there a syn tech issue I am missing.
is returns is: not found.
Not even list does anything
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #48
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
That sounds like BusyBox and it's symbolic links are not being found.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #49
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
What version of BusyBox do you have installed?
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #50
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Hmmm never thought of that..... checked and BusyBox was missing I guess since the update.
Will try again..... thanks Jeff
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #51
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I want to thank jefftheworld for his awesome tutorials!

That being said, now that I know a little more than I did, I probably would go about the "app removal" stuff a little differently. I found typing using the onscreen keyboard in connectbot to be pretty painful and this contributed to me deleting the apps rather than renaming them (I didn't feel like typing a dozen mv commands in connectbot). If I had it to do over, I would just use ES File Explorer. It has a root option as well as one to mount /system as read/write. Would have been really easy to rename those apps in ES I bet!
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #52
GJSmith
Connoisseur

I will second that. Thanks Jeff.
I got my apps deleted and yes it was bit tedious but it works. I will take a peek at ES.

I am wondering though how do I move my new bootaudio.mp3 from the download file to the /system/media file.
Every time I try I get a error about cross device
Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #53
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Tried cp instead of mv?
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #54
gpl23
gpl23 began at the beginning.

Device: Vox, Kobo Touch, Kobo, Playbook,
How did you take the screenshots on your Vox? Thanks.
gpl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #55
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
The one linked in Jefftheworld's Best apps is a root app, so you have to root your vox, but it is called 'ShootMe' I assume this is the one JefftheWorld uses as he links it as one of his best ones..

I did find this one that is non-root: http://www.apktops.com/no-root-screenshot-it-2-10.html I'm not sure how well it is as I have a rooted device and have installed the ShootMe app instead. Reading further it has to go through a computer, so it may not be best.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #56
gpl23
gpl23 began at the beginning.

Device: Vox, Kobo Touch, Kobo, Playbook,
Thanks Jesslynne.
gpl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #57
GJSmith
Connoisseur

That was it THANKS.
So finally my Vox starts up with Buzz Lightyear saying "there seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere"..... I know not everyones cup of tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Tried cp instead of mv?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #58
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
I could go with to infinity and beyond
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #59
NDRisk
NDRisk began at the beginning.

Today's update appears to have reinstalled all of the apps I removed. :S
NDRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #60
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRisk View Post
Today's update appears to have reinstalled all of the apps I removed. :S
That'll happen with some updates, unfortunately.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote