Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
"Like"/"Agree" button for posts and threads.

Just like Karma, this system of having "Like" button like facebook will be really nice at places where we want to say "Yes! Exactly" etc.

I have seen this on one of forums where they have facebook's like button in some threads. But I don't think we need the facebook's button, why not have "Liking" ecosystem of our own forum which can denote popularity of those posts also. We may also incorporate Karma addition for that. (For example, 1 like for a post gives 10 karma; or whatever is versatile.) But like can give a quick overview of where people are jumping upon and where more demand is.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
You can rate a thread one through five stars. I think that is sort of like a like/dislike system.

That is for the entire thread and not individual post though. I think something like what youtube has would work great. Simply click thumbs up or thumbs down. Then maybe a filter to view the worst rated or highest rated posts.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I think that in a discussion forum, if you like a post enough to want to everyone to know, that you can post a "Yes, I agree."

The best way to get more views on a topic (or a particularly good post) is to bump it up with comments. I think a "like" button could potentially make topics static and the overall forum less dynamic.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
I like the idea of allowing people to give a big "thumbs up" to a particular reply. Sure, we can give karma, but that's really hidden in the shadows, like some backroom deal to buy Mad magazine. No one else gets to share in the fun. Also, karma around here has become as significant as monopoly money or Disney Dollars. If someone makes a post that's poetic enough to make the birds sing, they deserve real tribute, accolades that can be seen by all and not some 10 point boost to a sum that already exceeds 759,000.

As another potential bonus, it would also allow users to vent their negative feelings without taking the time or energy to write out a scathing reply that would lead to some flame war. Let's say that you completely disagree with me on this point. Instead of writing out some long-winded reply simply to call me a moron, you could just click on the "thumbs down" icon and be done with it.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I'm a member on another board that has buttons for "agree" and "disagree" for every post, and discussions over the tallies of those buttons get even more heated than the discussions here regarding karma.

If you want to publicly applaud a post, go ahead and do it. If you want to disagree, go ahead and post, rather than hiding behind a disagree button. (And if you are going to own up to your disagree, why bother to disagree in the first place?)

I don't agree with the idea of creating a new outlet for people to get worked up because they don't like the way the results are tallied and displayed.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I think I prefer the status quo, which gives everyone the opportunity to comment on each idea presented.

I find on other websites that the thumbs up/down buttons result in a vote by people apparently unable to put thought to paper, so to speak.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I think that in a discussion forum, if you like a post enough to want to everyone to know, that you can post a "Yes, I agree."

The best way to get more views on a topic (or a particularly good post) is to bump it up with comments. I think a "like" button could potentially make topics static and the overall forum less dynamic.
I absolutely second this! Buttons for like, dislike and whatnot else will only lead to less actual discussion, which I assume is what the forum is for. If you agree with what someone has said and want to lend support, put it in writing along with the reason why. If you dislike it, write that and say why.

That's what forums are for, not button-clicking and karma-hoarding.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
aaaand we can always do this; or if our fancy is really tickled
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
While I'll admit that facebook has me brainwashed into always looking for the "like" button, sometimes I'm glad it's not there.

The forum way of doing things forces my brain into forming a coherant thought and then write a presentable sentence to express it. My brain needs these little workouts.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote