Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Which begs the question, "Why you?" because it works fine for me with 16GB and 8GB cards and around 25,000 books stored on a card...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
jibanes
jibanes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Which begs the question, "Why you?" because it works fine for me with 16GB and 8GB cards and around 25,000 books stored on a card...
May I ask, are they partitioned as type 'b' or 'c'? I'm still not quite sure why my 32GB wouldn't work, I'll try to get a 16GB today. hopefully that will.
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #18
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibanes View Post
We should have an option then to "rescan (now) SD/MC using mount", that is, to (linux) mount the filesystem, then create the index (stored in a BDB file for instance, or just flat xml file) and then we would be able to rescan the card, bypassing this limitation, which is precisely what is probably causing me trouble right now.
I'm not sure I'm following you. The know problem is that Sony's SD card access is buggy (when working with non latin chars / many files), there is a solution for that. Reader not recognizing SD cards at all is something rather new, and not easily (if at all) fixable via software. (I rather suspect that you should try to format it "normal way")

Quote:
I think sony is using proprietary calls rather than the (linux) mount do avoid concurrency, that is, mounting the filesystem in two different threads.Because the filesystem isn't meant to be mounted twice at the same time (it would trash/corrupt its metadata, and likely the VFS cache), that's why they're using syscalls, where they can, in the kernel or kernel module, use mutex(es) or semaphores to prevent, per say, concurrency in writting the same file from two different threads or similar actions.
Nah. Internal Memory is mounted and the scanning process for IM/SD is exactly the same.

Quote:
Would this option require a lot of work: "rescan (now) SD/MC using mount"?
Assuming, this is done, it won't work, since just indexing stuff is not enough, the files mustb be there, when viewer want's to access 'em, which means leaving SD card mounted which would quickly drain batteries.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry can't answer specifically, I mainly use a Mac (occasionally a PC) and simply partition as MSDOS FAT32... no mention of type 'b' or 'c' when doing it, must be linux/unix specific formatting/partitioning info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibanes View Post
May I ask, are they partitioned as type 'b' or 'c'? I'm still not quite sure why my 32GB wouldn't work, I'll try to get a 16GB today. hopefully that will.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #20
jibanes
jibanes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I'm not sure I'm following you. The know problem is that Sony's SD card access is buggy (when working with non latin chars / many files), there is a solution for that.
Maybe this would end the current issues I'm having with so many SDHC cards, could you please point me to the solution? Is it just a matter of renaming the files or modifying the pdf metadata info (author, title...) which I can easily do as well? When enountering this info, it's difficult to troubleshoot it since there's no log file or any useful information there.

Thanks a million!
Jerome
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 03:16 AM   #21
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
jibanes
Renaming only helps with non-latin chars (I think you don't have any), Chinese users reported that following "latin first/latin last chars" rule solves the problem with non-latin character names.
PDF metadata info doesn't matter in this case.
I don't know what the maximum size of the book file is (and whether there is such restriction at all)

If you get to the point when Sony scans some of the books, you should be able to access all of the books with PRS+ "via mount" option.

Nobody knows what exactly is causing problem in Sony's external card access, so formatting card with different cluster size *might* help.

That's all I know.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I just upgraded to an 8GB Class10 SDHC but after loading 4k of epubs on it from Calibre, it just keeps power cycling.

I was hoping to put the full library on the reader since I am giving it to a non-technical person that I don't want to have to teach Calibre usage to.

I'm curious if it would work if I wipe the card and import smaller chunks of the library, disconnect USB to let it index then reconnect to import more. Any suggestions?
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
I just upgraded to an 8GB Class10 SDHC but after loading 4k of epubs on it from Calibre, it just keeps power cycling.

I was hoping to put the full library on the reader since I am giving it to a non-technical person that I don't want to have to teach Calibre usage to.

I'm curious if it would work if I wipe the card and import smaller chunks of the library, disconnect USB to let it index then reconnect to import more. Any suggestions?
All that doing it in chunks does, is increase the time wasted by indexing... add one book and you still get total index before usable... for this many books install PRS+ and use don't scan option for card...