Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #181
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Pol: If you want something to happen, you need to open a ticket and attach a file showing the problem and add some information like what operating system you use, whether your file works in other EPUB readers and so on.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #182
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Pol: Sounds like there is something strange on your system. I have had no problems reading epub files created by any calibre version on my ipad.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #183
stranjer
n00b
stranjer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Had to go back to version 0.7.0.

For some unknown reason Calibre would not recognize my e-reader since the new update. I went back to the previous version, which was working before and same thing..

the 0.7.0 release is ok.

hmmm..will try the new update again tomorrow.
stranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #184
Pol
Pol began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600SC
I'm wondering if it was the Apple firmware update. I've gone all the way back to 6.55 and lower and cannot get any of the ePub's to read on the iPad (in iBooks) where I've never had an issue before.

I'm frustrated.

Kovid, I will open a ticket, I just wanted to be sure that the "issue" wasn't just mine. Perhaps someone else might have encountered it.

Thx.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #185
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Interesting. Try the following:

Take one of the non working files on the jetbook and rename them to test.epub, see if that allows you to open the file.
It does work when I rename it to test.epub. When I put it up there using Calibre a folder called Books is created and in that folder a second folder is created called Nelson DeMille (for example), and the book is called (for example) Nelson DeMille#Plum_Island.epub. I tried to open it and the Jetbook said "failed to open the file." So I changed the nonworking file on the Jetbook to "Test.epub" and it opened fine. Ergo Calibre changes it in some way - maybe the #? I just went back and renamed it with a # and it won't open. So that's the problem. When I copy the file off my hard drive and put it on the Jetbook by hand, there is no #.

On a separate note - the biggest challenge I've had with Calibre so far is how it loads up authors and sets up folders on the Jetbook. If there is a slight change in the author's name, it creates a whole new folder. It would be nicer if this could be changed easily or automatically (you already have an author called Nelson DiMille, would you like to use this author? or have a drop-down of current authors).

Last edited by Dennisvjames; 08-02-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #186
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Jetbook requires the # in the file name to read metadata from the file name. Apparently that's changed in the new firmware. According to another user it is still needed for some ebook formats, but not for others. Can you get clarification of this from the jetbook people?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #187
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The Jetbook requires the # in the file name to read metadata from the file name. Apparently that's changed in the new firmware. According to another user it is still needed for some ebook formats, but not for others. Can you get clarification of this from the jetbook people?
I will ask...but they are not always...timely.

Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #188
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I noticed that calibre got a nod in an article today in The Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hack-c..._b_730879.html
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #189
thed
thed began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
I installed Calibre 0.7.19 and now nothing will recognize my Sony PRS 700.

What do I need to do to the Sony driver to make it work. I see it will allow me to customize, but nothing jumps out as the way to do it.

Or do I need to roll back to an older Calibre version.
Thanks
thed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #190
thed

I should have said I am running windows 7 and have tried the connection diagnostic but it sill sees nothing.

Version: 0.7.19
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2830&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2831&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2832&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2835&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid2834&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid2836&rev0003',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid283a&rev0003',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c404&rev_0220',
u'usb\\vid_04f2&pid_b027&rev_9316',
u'usb\\vid_04f2&pid_b027&rev_9316&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_0a5c&pid_2101&rev_0354',
u'usb\\vid_0bda&pid_0158&rev_5195',
u'usb\\vid_147e&pid_2016&rev_0001']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 69, in __call__
DriveError: No removable drives found
Drives detected:
Looking for ALEX
Looking for ANDROID
Looking for AVANT
Looking for AZBOOKA
Looking for BLACKBERRY
Looking for BOOQ
Looking for BOOX
Looking for COOL_ER
Looking for CYBOOK
Looking for DBOOK
Looking for E52
Looking for E71X
Looking for EB511
Looking for EB600
Looking for EBK52
Looking for ECLICTO
Looking for EDGE
Looking for ELONEX
Looking for ESLICK
Looking for FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG
Looking for GEMEI
Looking for GER2
Looking for HANLINV3
Looking for HANLINV5
Looking for ILIAD
Looking for INVESBOOK
Looking for IPAPYRUS
Looking for IREXDR1000
Looking for IREXDR800
Looking for IRIVER_STORY
Looking for ITALICA
Looking for ITUNES
Looking for JETBOOK
Looking for KINDLE
Looking for KINDLE2
Looking for KINDLE_DX
Looking for KOBO
Looking for KOGAN
Looking for MENTOR
Looking for MIBUK
Looking for N516
Looking for N770
Looking for N810
Looking for NEWSMY
Looking for NOOK
Looking for NUUT2
Looking for PALMPRE
Looking for PDNOVEL
Looking for POCKETBOOK301
Looking for POCKETBOOK360
Looking for PRS505
Looking for README
Looking for S60
Looking for SHINEBOOK
Looking for SNE
Looking for SOVOS
Looking for SPECTRA
Looking for SWEEX
Looking for TECLAST_K3
Looking for THEBOOK
Devices possibly connected: None
Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #191
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

according to that debug output, windows isn't seeing your device either. If windows doesn't see it, calibre cant see it
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #192
thed

I agree nothing sees it anymore and the Sony interface and Adobe Digital Editions and the older Calibre all saw it.

Is my best bet to roll back the versions?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #193
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This has nothing to do with calibre. your device isn't being detected by the computer at all.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #194
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No - this is a Windows issue and not a Calibre issue. If you can sort out why Windows is not seeing the Sony then it should also sort the issue for Calibre.

You are not by any chance trying to use the same drive letters for the Sony device as you ahve allocated to a network drive? That can cause this sort of issue.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #195
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Have you checked the USB cable ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.7.0, calibre, new release