Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #256
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Thanks for the explanation!
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #257
Cyphox
Connoisseur
Cyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
EDIT: replace cr3.sh and cr3_180,sh of .kobo/kbmenu/onstart with the two files provided in ksmcoolreader39.zip.
using this zip seems to damage the coolreader config on my device.

the first time i start cr directly from startmenu it works just fine.

but after exiting and entering coolreader again, i just cant do anything, the touchscreen doesnt work at all, not even putting the reader in standby works.

so i have to force-powerdown the device. after powering on again, still the same behaviour, cr freezes/doesnt accept any input.

when cr is started the normal way (vlasovsoftlauncher) it works again, but (guess thats because of the forced powerdown my config is damaged, on my first try it still remembered the book i read, but all my settings were reverted back to default.

on my second try, cr didnt forget the settings, but the book(s) i was currently reading ("welcome to coolreader, blabla")

Last edited by Cyphox; 06-22-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Cyphox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #258
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura, Arc 10HD
Quote:
This is an update for Kobo Start Menu 04.
@tshering: do you plan to include this in a version 5 of the Start Menu or using the incremental update is the only way forward?
I have version 4 right now and I'd rather wait for a v5 (if it's coming) than install the patch - which might make it non-compatible later (I'm speculating...).

/EDIT Curiosity got the better of me and I installed the update: it freezes when I launch coolreader (from the new menu option) and I have to reset. Then (personal preference) the font is now a bit too small to make a selection without the touchpen. I know it can be changed.
Going back to vanilla v4 as I was happier with it.

Last edited by ipse; 06-23-2014 at 09:53 PM.
ipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #259
chandravadans
chandravadans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Exclamation Screen freezes after a while

Hi, I run firmware version 3.3.0 on the kobo glo. The version of startmenu I'm using is 4. (without the update) The problem I'm facing is that the screen automatically freezes after being left for a while. Any solutions to this?

Steps to reproduce :
1. Install startmenu 4
2. When the device starts up and enters startmenu, leave it idle for a while (~10s)
3. Screen freezes. Only a pin reset can bring it back.

The same happens to apps launched from startmenu too. For example, koreader launched from startmenu too freezes up on being left idle for a short while. Looking forward to your help!
chandravadans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #260
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandravadans View Post
For example, koreader launched from startmenu too freezes up on being left idle for a short while.
The discussion of that aspect of his problem can be found here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/663
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #261
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphox View Post
using this zip seems to damage the coolreader config on my device.

the first time i start cr directly from startmenu it works just fine.

but after exiting and entering coolreader again, i just cant do anything, the touchscreen doesnt work at all, not even putting the reader in standby works.

so i have to force-powerdown the device. after powering on again, still the same behaviour, cr freezes/doesnt accept any input.

when cr is started the normal way (vlasovsoftlauncher) it works again, but (guess thats because of the forced powerdown my config is damaged, on my first try it still remembered the book i read, but all my settings were reverted back to default.

on my second try, cr didnt forget the settings, but the book(s) i was currently reading ("welcome to coolreader, blabla")
Did you try a third time? Did you see any different results? I cannot see the problems you describe on my two KTs (running different firmwares). The only inconvenience I perceive is that if I call Coolreader directly from the menu in portrait mode and then in landscape mode, it opens the last book at a wrong position, but this is somehow to be expected.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #262
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipse View Post
@tshering: do you plan to include this in a version 5 of the Start Menu or using the incremental update is the only way forward?
I have version 4 right now and I'd rather wait for a v5 (if it's coming) than install the patch - which might make it non-compatible later (I'm speculating...).
I intend to prepare a version 5, which will include those elements that I provide now as additions, at some point.

Quote:
/EDIT Curiosity got the better of me and I installed the update: it freezes when I launch coolreader (from the new menu option) and I have to reset. Then (personal preference) the font is now a bit too small to make a selection without the touchpen. I know it can be changed.
Going back to vanilla v4 as I was happier with it.
Your problem with launching Coolreader seems similar to what Cyphox describes in post #257. Do you remember the Coolreader settings you had before trying the updated version of the menu. I would like to reproduce what you have done.

Last edited by tshering; 06-24-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #263
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
I intend to prepare a version 5, which will include those elements that I provide now as additions, at some point.

Your problem with launching Coolreader seems similar to what Cyphox describes in post #257. Do you remember the Coolreader settings you had before trying the updated version of the menu. I would like to reproduce what you have done.
I wish I knew and saved the settings file...I have a vague recollection as I think I probably set it back the same way...do you know which file I should be looking for? I'm nowhere near the Kobo ATM.
BTW...I think ur right looking at settings...as after restoring v4 I lost all CR3 config. If memory serves, Start Menu does not touch CR settings normally.

Last edited by ipse; 06-24-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #264
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I wish I knew and saved the settings file...I have a vague recollection as I think I probably set it back the same way...do you know which file I should be looking for? I'm nowhere near the Kobo ATM.
BTW...I think ur right looking at settings...as after restoring v4 I lost all CR3 config. If memory serves, Start Menu does not touch CR settings normally.
.kobo\vlasovsoft\cr3\data\cr3.ini and .kobo\vlasovsoft\cr3\data\cr3hist.bmk

You are right, the Start Menu does not touch CR settings normally, it even doesn't know anything about their existence.

Another thing: Did you by chance leave USB enabled when running Coolreader. I am not sure, but this might lead to corruption.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #265
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandravadans View Post
Hi, I run firmware version 3.3.0 on the kobo glo. The version of startmenu I'm using is 4. (without the update) The problem I'm facing is that the screen automatically freezes after being left for a while. Any solutions to this?

Steps to reproduce :
1. Install startmenu 4
2. When the device starts up and enters startmenu, leave it idle for a while (~10s)
3. Screen freezes. Only a pin reset can bring it back.

The same happens to apps launched from startmenu too. For example, koreader launched from startmenu too freezes up on being left idle for a short while. Looking forward to your help!

There were two similare reports by Cyphox (starting with post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=179) and WS64. WS64 got rid of the problem after he replaced the internal sd with another. Cyphox seems also to have overcome the problem in some way, since he seems still/again to be using the Start Menu.

One difference however, if I remember correctly, between their case and yours is that they did not have this problem when they started koreader via fmon from nickel.

Your case is however similar to theirs as the device doesn't seem to freeze if it is kept busy. Cf. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=182 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=185. Maybe you could try this too. It will not really help you with koreader, but it might confirm that it helps keeping the device somehow busy and maybe someone will be able to figure out what is going wrong.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #266
ipse
Connoisseur

Quote:
.kobo\vlasovsoft\cr3\data\cr3.ini and .kobo\vlasovsoft\cr3\data\cr3hist.bmk

Another thing: Did you by chance leave USB enabled when running Coolreader. I am not sure, but this might lead to corruption.
"You got mail" (private that is, as I'm afraid to be judged for my literary preferences here )
...and no, I never leave USB enabled when I am done transferring or modding files - same for USBNet support - I never use it.

I think I mentioned here in this forum that one sure way to freeze the device is to disable Embedded fonts - but that does it for all three readers.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #267
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
I think I mentioned here in this forum that one sure way to freeze the device is to disable Embedded fonts - but that does it for all three readers.
Not sure where you are encountering this? I turn embedded fonts off quite often in Koreader. Not to mention using a different CSS file altogether.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #268
Cyphox
Connoisseur
Cyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Did you try a third time? Did you see any different results? I cannot see the problems you describe on my two KTs (running different firmwares). The only inconvenience I perceive is that if I call Coolreader directly from the menu in portrait mode and then in landscape mode, it opens the last book at a wrong position, but this is somehow to be expected.
edit: of course i tried (you're talking about starting cr reader from start menu after a forced reset, dont you? if you're talking about testing my "preconfigured" cr, i've only done that twice), still a non-functional cr, and i tried another thing:

i restored my backup, started cr via vlasoftlauncher (the way it works just fine normally) and did a hard reset = damaged config

so the corrupted cfg-file is because of the resets/forced powerdowns i had to do.

but i cant say for sure if cr freezes or if its just the touchscreen/powerswitch that doesnt work after launching cr for the second time directly from start menu.

maybe im talking nonsense now, but perhaps cr doesnt like the touchpad-driver/plugin that startmenu provides in some way. correct me if im wrong, but when you launch vlasoftlauncher, it doesnt use the driver provided by startmenu but it loads the driver again by itself, doesnt it?!

Last edited by Cyphox; 06-25-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Cyphox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:36 AM   #269
chandravadans
chandravadans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Your case is however similar to theirs as the device doesn't seem to freeze if it is kept busy. Cf. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=182 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=185. Maybe you could try this too. It will not really help you with koreader, but it might confirm that it helps keeping the device somehow busy and maybe someone will be able to figure out what is going wrong.
The fix works, thanks!

But I'm a little concerned about the (bad) effect on the display. I'd read somewhere that e-ink displays aren't that great at refreshing constantly, and can get worn out. I'll dig deeper and let you know if that's actually true.

Was curious, does the device have to stay busy displaying something on the screen? Or does having a script running in the background also do the trick? That should definitely take some pressure off the display.

Again,

--EDITED--

Turns out, it does work. Invoke a script that runs in an infinite loop in the background when startmenu starts, and kill it when startmenu ends. It doesn't necessarily have to print anything on the display, thereby (potentially) saving it. Tried the same for koreader, and it worked.

Last edited by chandravadans; 06-25-2014 at 03:11 AM.
chandravadans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #270
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
"You got mail" (private that is, as I'm afraid to be judged for my literary preferences here )
...and no, I never leave USB enabled when I am done transferring or modding files - same for USBNet support - I never use it.

I was hoping to find some difference between your settings and mine that would cause the bad effect. But both your files work fine on my Touch. Of course, coolreader cannot find the last opened book (since it is not on the device), but it remains full functional. It seems we have to look for some other difference.