Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
neufsix
Connoisseur
neufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheese

Device: Archos A70 eReader, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T2
Why do you still use a text editor?

Hi !

When I started learning how to create epubs and mobis, it never crossed my mind not to use my favourite text editor, Emacs.

I've tried using Sigil but felt like a lot was missing: macros, scripting, programmable keys, custom theme...

Am I the only one using a text editor when designing EPUBs or MOBIs? Who is using Emacs, Vi, UltraEdit and the like? Why?
neufsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I use vim

Why? Because I use vim everyday for my work (editing and viewing input and output files of scientific software). Because vim just works (no need to compile, upgrade to the newest version, setup third party repositories, etc.). Because I started creating ebooks before Sigil was even thought of. Because I'm a nitpicker and want full control on the code (I will spend some time indenting and aligning stuff in the OPF file!).

I still want to try using Sigil for real, but I'm lazy
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I use vim and gedit/pluma for the same reasons Jelby does. I might try Sigil if I didn't have to compile the whole d..n QT 5 library set to use it on Linux Mint Mate. That's too much work just to see what Sigil does to me that I didn't really want to have done to me.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
All you Linux users, I wish I were adventurous enough to get off Windows! (for what it's worth, I still use XP at home, have not been thrilled with the Vista or Win7 experience at work.)

I use Notepad ++. Mostly because of the customizable syntax coloring, but also because it does not hijack my hotkeys to run its own shortcuts (I use a lot of AutoHotkey scripting). Sigil wants to use those hotkeys for its own routines.

Also because I can have multiple tabs open with totally unrelated files, and can also have clones of my files display in the split-screen and drag&drop between the two screens.

Well, I could go on and on. I'm not a programmer, only do a little scripting, but I love Notepad++ for working with text in all kinds of situations.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Notepad++ is my editor of choice when I have to use Windows. We'll make you into a programmer yet, gG. You're halfway there now.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
I use vim. Minimum of keypresses, maximum effect, plus regexp is a pretty integral part of the editor.
Besides, I'm convinced this GUI-WYSIWYG-thing is just a passing fad
I also use sed extensively, primarily because of its multi-line capabilities (e.g. commenting out first line on each page when it's a page header, joining words split over lines etc.), and sometimes awk.
Have accumulated a rather nice set of bash scripts for assisting the whole process of converting a book from scans to epub.

(Well, I'm deviating a little from the truth here. I also generate an html-document with the scans and ocr-text side-by-side, which I import into libreoffice writer for proofreading. Or convert to a PDF for proofreading on the tablet.)
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
To answer your question neufsix,

I think things are simple: we use what we know the best. Jellby and pholy are using vim because they know it a lot and you use Emacs for the very same reason.

Most people use Word (or the Writer of LibreOffice/AOO) so they tend or they want to use it to create epub.

And when people do not know much about the epub format or html, they just tend to use Calibre, an all in one solution.

If I must create an epub from strach, I'll certainly use NoteTab or Pspad but if the file is in doc format and well structured, I'm going to convert it first in html and use Sigil to set things up. I think this is where it comes handy and why I like to use it.

BTW Emacs is born in 1976 and the current version is 24.3; Sigil in 2009 and has not still reach version 1. Let it a chance!

Last edited by Arios; 04-18-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I like to use Edit+, it's got rubbish macro support, but I like its simple multi-line method of S&R, they give you two free-field text boxes that you can put anything in you like.

I always use a text editor is the originating format allows it. They are also excellent for cleaning up html files generated from word, much quicker than dumping it Sigil and sorting it out there. Although Sigil's "Open with" option is now making me rethink this as I can now load it into Sigil and use my editor of choice from within it.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
notepad++ for complex multiline regex scripts (via python scripts).

& i like themes - style configurator - when i work at night sigil screen is to bright for me and i guess i am to lazy to set colors myself.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
neufsix
Connoisseur
neufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheese

Device: Archos A70 eReader, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
& i like themes - style configurator - when i work at night sigil screen is to bright for me and i guess i am to lazy to set colors myself.
I can't stand white background either. Black background and green foreground saved my sight !
neufsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Notepad++ for me for Windows. I use Sigil for what Sigil does that Notepad++ does not do and then I move back to Notepad++.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote