Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
SpiritualMadMan
SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Speed Optimizations?

I am using Version 0.6.29 And, while it is better than Stanza it is still way too slow. And, huge, too.

I am running on two systems one is an Acer Netbook 2GB/160GB Win7 Ultimate the other is an HP DV6609wm 4GB/320GB Win7 Ultimate 64

The Netbook is my primary e-Reader. My Primary format is MS Reader .LIT

I am willing to convert my Library to another format if it will speed things up?

Here's the issue, with me. It takes "forever" to Load the Viewer, and the even longer to load the .LIT file.

I have resorted to just keeping the battery charged an "sleeping" the Computer.

Isn't there any way to modularize the reader to allow only loading a DLL required to extract a particular format?

I've programmed, some, in VB-6... But, this is **way** over my head.

MS Reader is much faster. But... Fails to give the full screen and large letters my vision requires.

Other than speed Calibre (Organizer and Viewer) is a great program package.

BTW, I don't have anything else running except essential services and Symantec AV.

Any help in speeding the process up would be most appreciated.

And, I haven't bought DRM'd books, either.

Thanks!

Mike Sr.
SpiritualMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert your files to EPUB, they will open much faster.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
SpiritualMadMan
SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiritualMadMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, EPUB does indeed load faster than LIT.

FYI On the Netbook opening the Viewer takes about 10 seconds and opening the EPUB about 20 seconds

Mike Sr.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
I have severe speed issues with the book management side of the software. I don't know if it's due to vista 64 but it can literally take 3-4 minutes to convert a book and the software is constantly locking up for 1-2 minutes.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
SpiritualMadMan

Demented...

So far, I have not had any problems with Windows 7 Ultimate on either the 64 bit install or the x86 Netbook install.

I have not tried a conversion on the Netbook.

But, the Conversion from .LIT to .EPUB was around a minute. I didn't time it. And, was surprised at how fast it went.

(On HP DV6609wm 4GB/320GB Athlon X2-64 Win7 Ultimate X64)

To get a better idea of your situation. Version of Calibre, Processor, Memory and number of other things running would be useful. I am generally a one at a time Windows User with 4GB and an Athlon x2-64 Processor. So, I am probably faster than most Windows Users.

Vista also has a bad habit of running tons of useless services in the background.

Vista was also the most recent "ME"...

Right now it looks like Windows7 is the "XP" the rest of us were holding out for.

Lockups can also be caused by Driver Issues, Video and Sound in that order. As well as heat issues.

Calbre does seem to warm my Netbook up a *lot* worse than Stanza.

If you haven't bought a can of Dust Off and blown the dust out. You might also want to try that.

As for specific Calibre issues that would be Kovid's area of expertise.

Mike Sr.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Demented: you need to check your antivirus settings, that's the most common cause of slowdowns
Old 12-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
I'm currently running Vista 64 with 4 GB of ram and a lot of books loaded in my Calibre.. currently 16440. At one point I had the books stored on my main system disk but I have since moved them to a NAS that I have mapped as a network drive. It was really slow before I moved everything and now it's just glacial. An add book or remove book opp can take up to 1-2 minutes to complete. Adding 30 books from a directory might take 20 minutes. I have Symantek Anti-virus but I shut down the file system protect stuff and gave it a try and got no results. I also have the program running in compatability mode and as an administrator and no dice. I've tried every combo I can think of. I'm a software developer, so I have a pretty good idea of how to manipulate this kind of stuff, I actually have written something similar to Calibre without the myriad of format conversions and my system performs way faster running it on the same book library and a flat file xml DB, granted I'm using .Net so it's a completely different ball game.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
calibre is definitely not speed champion but that is the price of portability we all enjoy.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Since you say you're a software developer, why don't you take a look at calibre's internals, it is open source for a reason and come up with some concrete suggestions for how it can be made faster. Saying, I wrote something that does 0.1% of what calibre does and does it 1000x faster is meaningless.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I run with a similar configuration. The use of a NAS certainly slows things down, but performance is much better if you keep the metatdata.db file on a local drive.

Calibre provides a mixture of runtime parameters and use of environment variables to control placement of the ebook files, the calibre configuration and the metadata.db file. I have attached a copy. It is reasonably commented so you should find it wasy to edit it to match your particular setup
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun.bat (2.5 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by itimpi; 12-24-2009 at 06:39 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
calibre is definitely not speed champion but that is the price of portability we all enjoy.
Having it run on both my Mac and my Windows PC at work has been just awesome.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote